Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Years ago I taught people about the "2 inch rule" That is, " "when in built up areas or whenever we are doing less than 20mph the 2" inch rule" must be observed" Doors are always Locked and never have your windows open more than 2 inches. This is especially so when talking to strangers or even the Police.

I am minded to tell you after reading a story about two motorhomers robbed recently at a motorway aire in Spain. They stopped for a cup of tea and a car pulled up, a well dressed official looking guy showed a police pass and they subsequently let the guy in the motorhome who then shouted at them in a foreign language as he tried to rob them. This story had a happy ending, I don't thnk they lost much but their holiday was ruined and it was a stressfull experience.

If you wind your window right down you are much easier to intimidate or be threatened. I know its only a bit of glass but when it is up its an effective barrier, and sends a clear message that you are security aware and is a subconcious reminder to you to be switched on. NEVER SPEAK TO A STRANGER OR A POLICE OFFICER WITH YOUR WINDOW LOWER THAN TWO INCHES.

Remember the "2 Inch Rule"

Sat in an aire in sunny France or Spain (or anywhere for that matter) enjoying a cup of tea with your windows wound fully down is not to be reccomended, a car can pull along side, and in a moment, you are intimidated with a bloody great ugly head in your face. lets be careful out there. The 2 inch rule, its cool:thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Or shine an LED LENSER P7 in their eyes.

Go on, try it.

"Do you feel lucky... punk............well....do ya?"

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or shine an LED LENSER P7 in their eyes.

Funny you should say that, a 5W LED torch arrived yesterday. Only 3 AAA batteries but dangerously bright. Under £5 delivered from China via ebay. Beautifully made in Ali. Ebay 320642064510.

My choice is fly spray. Totally legal. Would you be fit to mug with your eyes full of fly spray ?

"I just grabbed the first thing to hand to defend myself your honour".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Mountain Man "I just grabbed the first thing to hand to defend myself your honour".

Remebering a post the other day, and seeing the 'crooks are us' lawyers advertising on TV, how does £8K i costs and £5K in damages suit?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Mountain Man "I just grabbed the first thing to hand to defend myself your honour".

Remebering a post the other day, and seeing the 'crooks are us' lawyers advertising on TV, how does £8K i costs and £5K in damages suit?

I'll worry about that after zapping some Romanian crook out to mug me. It's no joke. The risk is quite tiny but it is happening so anything we can do to defend ourselves is best thought out before.

Best advice is of course to read Jim's book. I'm not sure where the section on "How to disarm an attacker using an LED torch and fly spray" is but it must be in there somewhere.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Perhaps one of those deafening screaming anti rape things would be a good deterrent as well as the fly spray or WD 40 :Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Larrywin

We have a few of these alarms in my and clip them on to the doors when parked up. When on a campsite Sophie 13 like to sleep in her pop up tent so she has one of these with her just in case it has a really loud alarm and a flashing light.

You can get them for around a £ so no harm in buying some for mh.

Gerry

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I'll worry about that after zapping some Romanian crook out to mug me. It's no joke. The risk is quite tiny but it is happening so anything we can do to defend ourselves is best thought out before.

Best advice is of course to read Jim's book. I'm not sure where the section on "How to disarm an attacker using an LED torch and fly spray" is but it must be in there somewhere.

i thought in the eastern block countries you should reach for a glock???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as far as i'm concerned Jim's 2" rule is spot on....

no weapons, hard or soft, and no threatening behaviour so no chance of being arrested/convicted for assault.

if the perp goes on to break the window then every man for himself and use what you can....unless you have a gun/knife stuck up yer nose of course, in which case DO NOT FIGHT BACK !....it aint worth it for a few valuables. :Eeek:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks for that tip, in my job looking after older folk late at night I drive some very lonely back roads of Wales and at times feel quite vulnerable by myself. I will remember this 2 inch rule makes great sense to me. :thumb: :Smile:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Well, I can tell you one thing - not all rulers have twelve inches - and not even six, from very personal acquantaince - no, not that personal just near!

sammy_n_brett

Free Member
Feb 15, 2011
walsall
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
like this

2 inch rule sounds great! on a hot summers day tho, we have drove through france and spain many time and until last year all was good we got robbed near Barca first time up that way but it s a concern nowadays

just take care and hit em real hard if you get the chance

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Makes sense to me, and a reminder now and then never does anyone any harm.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
as far as i'm concerned Jim's 2" rule is spot on....

no weapons, hard or soft, and no threatening behaviour so no chance of being arrested/convicted for assault.

if the perp goes on to break the window then every man for himself and use what you can....unless you have a gun/knife stuck up yer nose of course, in which case DO NOT FIGHT BACK !....it aint worth it for a few valuables. :Eeek:

Yes, but what if somebody comes at you armed with a piece of fruit?

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Jim's 2 inch rule is a good one it's your first line of defence.

It's always worth remembering to not get totally boxed in with your vehicle if you can possibly help it where ever possible leave enough room in front , behind, and to the side , so that if you are menaced you start up and drive off

If it looks like the police and your not sure you won't get far before a convoy of police cars stop you

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Its fly spray for me :thumb: Would be the first thing I got if being threatened, though not in the car I'd just run them over. Graham was locked up today, had a job to do at Wymondham Police Station so he was locked up until he had finished :ROFLMAO:

Dale

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You should know that most sprays will not stop a determined attacker, your just likely make them mad. ::bigsmile: As well as the 2" rule, use the "Nosey Parker" rule.::bigsmile: Always reverse into parking slots so you are in the best position to drive away. This is the very best defence.

When you park up at the supermarket or the motorway aire, Never be a Nosey Parker:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You should know that most sprays will not stop a determined attacker, your just likely make them mad. ::bigsmile: As well as the 2" rule, use the "Nosey Parker" rule.::bigsmile: Always reverse into parking slots so you are in the best position to drive away. This is the very best defence.

When you park up at the supermarket or the motorway aire, Never be a Nosey Parker:thumb:
maybe shouldnt say this, but the spray i found in my RV when we bought it will stop anyone in their tracks or severely slow them down at the very least:Blush:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
maybe shouldnt say this, but the spray i found in my RV when we bought it will stop anyone in their tracks or severely slow them down at the very least:Blush:

Ive seen people sprayed with "weapons grade" stuff and they hardly missed a beat, yet I've seen people mulllered for hours after the slightest niff, but there is no guarantee it will make matters better, yes it might help in some situations, but generally the best advice is to scarper if you can.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ive seen people sprayed with "weapons grade" stuff and they hardly missed a beat, yet I've seen people mulllered for hours after the slightest niff, but there is no guarantee it will make matters better, yes it might help in some situations, but generally the best advice is to scarper if you can.
agreed Jim, seen it on tv and it doesnt affect everyone the same way.
i've had a lungfull of this type of stuff accidently at a friends flat in germany and, my god, i couldnt see or stop coughing.
i would only use it in real desperation, ie: couldnt get away, but as you say...retreat is the better option.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You lot have made me nervous now.

Really good tips though.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You lot have made me nervous now.

Really good tips though.

Yes, if you read a book about security you will feel a little insecure afterward. If you watch a film about fire hazards and the terrible results of a fire in a home, you will worry about whats been left plugged in or left on or not extinguished and how easy a fire can start. It will leave you feeling a little insecure.

The fact is, the opposite is true. You are more secure because you are aware, it just doesn't feel that way, but trust me, its true. Just being ever so slightly aware of what might happen makes you much less likely to have it happen

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes, if you read a book about security you will feel a little insecure afterward. If you watch a film about fire hazards and the terrible results of a fire in a home, you will worry about whats been left plugged in or left on or not extinguished and how easy a fire can start. It will leave you feeling a little insecure.

The fact is, the opposite is true. You are more secure because you are aware, it just doesn't feel that way, but trust me, its true. Just being ever so slightly aware of what might happen makes you much less likely to have it happen

Thanks Jim that is good advice.

I downloaded your security book yesterday so I will read it. Off to Spain in April so by then I hope I will be more aware than I have been in the past.

Problem is as an ex rugby player and boxer I used to look menacing enough to think noone would bother but alas the years have taken their toll and I am,all of a sudden, a middle aged bloke who is not very scary..

Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back