3 Mobile Mifi - advice please (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
On Saturday we called into Carphone Warehouse and came away with a Mifi at a very good price of £29.99....well I thought it was!!

Can anyone advise please, as I have tried to connect today, after charging the unit overnight, on the following:

Should all the indicator lights on the unit "go out" after about five seconds or less?

If not I have a Friday afternoon model, and will have to return it on Tuesday.

It will not connect via Wifi but has connected via the dashboard, and the USB lead, which defeats the Wifi advantage it should offer.

It has not given the option of entering its unique 8 digit code number, which of course renders the laptop incapable of recognising the Mifi unit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanking all in anticipation:thumb:

Nomadic

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
MiFi

Hi,
once it has started all the icons are illuminated and then I get 'searching' then 'connecting' and then 'connected' after about a minute they all disappear. That is provided it finds a signal....

On my laptop if I left click on the networks icon in the system tray a small box opens with a list of available networks look for one starting 3 Wireless modem click on it to connect and then you should get an opportunity to enter your code.

The on button at the side stays illuminated at green all the time.

hope this helps.

Dave:Cool:

meant to say that was a very good price, I paid £70 odd last year...:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi i have one of the 3 mifi dongles and after turning it on it takes a minute or so before its connected to the 3 network until then it displays welcome.
once connected to the network the display goes off but a touch of the power button lights the display up again.
connecting via wireless the computer should find the mifi dongle and then ask you to enter the passcode to connect.
i have been quite happy with mine but it did cost considerably more at around £70 but was preloaded with 3 months 3gb data on pay and go.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Which 3 Mifi did you get for £29.99 is it the E585 or the earlier version?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We paid £50.00 at Maplins for ours the Christmas before last, so you have got it at a good price.

We used the sim card from our old 3 dongle and after the initial log-in when we purchased it, we just switch on in sequence and then after a few seconds all the lights go off. If we are in a weak signal area and lose the signal, we then press the relevant button to get it back again.

We only have the green light showing which flashes whilst charging, when fully charged it's constantly green.

We find it excellent as we can both get a signal for our laptops at the same time.

Nigel and Pamala

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If its the E585 have you tried pressing the reset button? It is located under the cover below the on/off button. The manual says hold it for 5 secs and it should reset to the default.

Lunarman

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Mifi

Hi,
once it has started all the icons are illuminated and then I get 'searching' then 'connecting' and then 'connected' after about a minute they all disappear. That is provided it finds a signal....

On my laptop if I left click on the networks icon in the system tray a small box opens with a list of available networks look for one starting 3 Wireless modem click on it to connect and then you should get an opportunity to enter your code.

The on button at the side stays illuminated at green all the time.

hope this helps.

Dave:Cool:

meant to say that was a very good price, I paid £70 odd last year...:Doh:

Thanks for your reply Dave:thumb:,

Interesting, I do not get "searching" "connecting" or "connected" prompts at all.

Clicking on "conect to" from the system tray does offer "3 mobile etc... but the laptop refuses to accept it stating the laptop is unable to match the settings, an shows a big red cross, thus no chance to enter the code.

I thought the presence of my "3" dongle software would be the cause, so it was uninstalled, no difference....so is back to square one, or, Carphonewarehouse.....theres a problem here some were, but thanks for the advice, it gives me some pointers.

Yes I thought the price was a good one, with 5Gig/month included, on a monthly contract, good if it works.

Wish me luck tomorrow!!

Nomadic

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Mifi

Which 3 Mifi did you get for £29.99 is it the E585 or the earlier version?

Hi, its the E5830, product code 10762, no product date, is it an earlier model?

Could explain the price!!!

Nomadic

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Yep thats the earlier model. The E585 is £39.99 with £15 a month for the 5gig from 3 Shops.

I got mine for PAYG from PC World fro 49.99

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Mifi

If its the E585 have you tried pressing the reset button? It is located under the cover below the on/off button. The manual says hold it for 5 secs and it should reset to the default.

Lunarman

Hi Lunarman,

Just had a look, no sign of a re-set button, damm it, I've taken the battery out, but still no sign.

Thanks for your interest.

Nomadic

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Mifi update

Returned to supplier, the back was removed, as was the battery, then the simm, for about ten seconds, rebuilt, and we are away. So although its an earlier model, it should be ok for us. The signals a bit weak, but so it is with the E1550 dongle, today.

Thanks for all the help funsters

Nomadic

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back