maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Does anyone know what is a reasonable time to fit a new Gaslow system professionally? Would be looking at 2x11kg cylinders, regulator, outside filler point, auto-changeover valve, stainless steel hoses?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Maz
I would think that the job could be done in 2-3 hours assuming there are no unexpected problems.

Brisey

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
CMR fitted the same equipment to my Hymer and it was done in a rally field in well under an hour...

JJ

PS... I found the automatic change over valve a really bad thing as the one and only time in over thirty years of motorhoming I have run out of gas was with this... I hadn't realised it had "kicked in" and I was left with no gas! (Luckily a refill place was less than a mile away...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Generally takes me around 1 hour to fit a Gaslow system , also have to perform a gas soundness check before commencing any work then check once completed for any leaks in the system

Mark

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
gas low will do it while you wait in yatley,it takes 1 hr and they also gige you a cert that you now need in france to say it is fitted propley like corgi exept lpg

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Does anyone know what is a reasonable time to fit a new Gaslow system professionally? Would be looking at 2x11kg cylinders, regulator, outside filler point, auto-changeover valve, stainless steel hoses?

Ring Gaslow - they'll tell you.

Apart from that, it all depends on the make and model of motorhome - some are considerably more difficult than others to fit an external filler.

Although you didn't ask, if it was me I wouldn't have the auto-change valve. You lose all sense of how much gas you've used - much better keeping one cylinder closed until you run out and then switch over to the other - that way you'll know you're half way through your supply and have a better handle on how soon you need to fill up again. I've also the Gaslow guage fitted inside of the van, but that's a waste of money too, for the same reason. It does no more than tell you when you're about to run out, and your hobs can do that!

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

Ring Gaslow - they'll tell you.

Apart from that, it all depends on the make and model of motorhome - some are considerably more difficult than others to fit an external filler, and that's what will take as much time as the rest of the fitting.

Although you didn't ask, if it was me I wouldn't have the auto-change valve. You lose all sense of how much gas you've used - much better keeping one cylinder closed until you run out and then switch over to the other - that way you'll know you're half way through your supply and have a better handle on how soon you need to fill up again. I've also the Gaslow gauge fitted inside of the van, but that's a waste of money too, for the same reason. It does no more than tell you when you're about to run out, and your hobs can do that!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Generally takes me around 1 hour to fit a Gaslow system , also have to perform a gas soundness check before commencing any work then check once completed for any leaks in the system

Mark

Thank you - will send you a PM. :Smile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Although you didn't ask, if it was me I wouldn't have the auto-change valve. You lose all sense of how much gas you've used - much better keeping one cylinder closed until you run out and then switch over to the other - that way you'll know you're half way through your supply and have a better handle on how soon you need to fill up again. I've also the Gaslow guage fitted inside of the van, but that's a waste of money too, for the same reason. It does no more than tell you when you're about to run out, and your hobs can do that!

I was thinking more about not running out of gas for the heating overnight.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
do you really need heating on over night, once in bed sufficient covers will keep you warm.

Well, I certainly planned on keeping it on low overnight in winter to stop any problems with pipes/tanks freezing up ......

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Well, I certainly planned on keeping it on low overnight in winter to stop any problems with pipes/tanks freezing up ......

I am with you on this one Maz... I am a "heater on at night" person... I have been able to move on from the days when I woke up with ice on the top of my duvet!

If the Wagon was cold in the morning I would never get out of my pit! :ROFLMAO:

As long as you are an organised person the auto switchover will be great in the overnight heat situation... sadly I am not (but I can switch over from one bottle to the other without getting out of the Wagon)

JJ

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We would most certainly when skiing or touring the cold Scottish highlands leave the heating on over night.

As Mark say's (CLS) doesn't generally take long to fit.

Don't know what certificate that Niggle is talking about you needing when going to France? like to see some one turn some light on that one? I have never had one and TBH never knew I did?

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I was thinking more about not running out of gas for the heating overnight.

Hmm - I would say you've hit on the one arguable reason, although you'll still have the problem of running out during the night, only it'll take twice as long ! And then you'll have no 'back-up'. Everyone to their own, but on balance I think I would still prefer my method even if it meant waking up to a cold van on one morning, not that I'd normally keep the heating on overnight anyway. But then again, I don't normally go anywhere where it's colder than Scotland. And when I'm touring somewhere like Scotland I always take the opportunity to top up the LPG at the same time as taking on diesel whenever I can, whether I feel I need to or not.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Don't know what certificate that Niggle is talking about you needing when going to France? like to see some one turn some light on that one? I have never had one and TBH never knew I did?

Don't know about French certificate requirements, but when I mentioned to the insurance company about possibly installing Gaslow they said fine as long as it was professionally installed and I was given a certificate by the installer.

And when I'm touring somewhere like Scotland I always take the opportunity to top up the LPG at the same time as taking on diesel whenever I can, whether I feel I need to or not.

Exactly how I'd intend using the system. :Smile:

Lynn ( Mrs Ash )

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
(The Midlands) Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
A-Class Frankia 640 Exclu
Exp
9 yrs
Don't know about French certificate requirements, but when I mentioned to the insurance company about possibly installing Gaslow they said fine as long as it was professionally installed and I was given a certificate by the installer.

Any gas work that is carried out on you motorhome should have a written gas certificate from the installer ...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

Any gas work that is carried out on you motorhome should have a written gas certificate from the installer ...

If that was the case, then everytime I changed a Gas bottle I would be expected to have or get a certificate to say I had done it correctly? Essentially a gaslow bottle is nothing more than that.

here is what gaslow themselves say

Q2. Do I need to get Gaslow bottles professionally installed by a certified fitter ?
A2. No, Gaslow systems can be DIY Installation.

This article was published on Tuesday 10 August, 2010.

It may be acase that if someone was doing a job for you, you would be wise to get a certificate from them, but doesn't mean its a legal requirement which is being suggested.
don't want to do you fitters out of a job, but at the same time, I don't want us DIY freaks thinking that we aren't allowed to do anything other than sleep in our vans. ::bigsmile:

Lynn ( Mrs Ash )

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
(The Midlands) Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
A-Class Frankia 640 Exclu
Exp
9 yrs
If that was the case, then everytime I changed a Gas bottle I would be expected to have or get a certificate to say I had done it correctly? Essentially a gaslow bottle is nothing more than that.

here is what gaslow themselves say

Q2. Do I need to get Gaslow bottles professionally installed by a certified fitter ?
A2. No, Gaslow systems can be DIY Installation.

This article was published on Tuesday 10 August, 2010.

It may be acase that if someone was doing a job for you, you would be wise to get a certificate from them, but doesn't mean its a legal requirement which is being suggested.
don't want to do you fitters out of a job, but at the same time, I don't want us DIY freaks thinking that we aren't allowed to do anything other than sleep in our vans. ::bigsmile:

Good point Paul but as a gas service engineer Steve always supplies a certificate weather it be for Insurace perpose or the customers personal records ..

C.L.S

Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
When installing Gaslow or any other refillable system , all the work takes place before the regulator so there is no interuption to pipework etc..... A certificate is NOT required for this type of work as no modification to the pipework has taken place. A certificate of conformity relating to the bottles is available or a gas soundness certificate can be issued once installation is complete.

Mark

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
A certificate of conformity relating to the bottles is available or a gas soundness certificate can be issued once installation is complete.

Hi Mark
We had our Gaslow system fitted about 5 years ago now, no certificates were issued to us. Can they be issued at a later date ie. at a habitation check.Brisey

C.L.S

Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
If you send me the serial numbers and date stamps on your bottles I will sort out a certificate of conformity for you.

Older type bottles with the handle / collar fitted will have the information on the collar

Newer type bottles will have the information on the bottom of the bottles

Mark

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi, i am very shocked that no one has told you that at the moment france is not letting people fill bottles,so if your thinking of going abroad dont fit new bottles yet ,this is not a secret it is on motorhome facts website,hope this helps.harvey

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I haven't looked at the Facts site but as I understand it one person was refused in one fuel station, this hardly qualifies as all of France is refusing to let us refill gas systems. Unless someone else KNOWS more? I believe there is a thread on here about it too but as yet haven't found it so if anyone can point it out to me I'd be grateful.

D.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I haven't looked at the Facts site but as I understand it one person was refused in one fuel station, this hardly qualifies as all of France is refusing to let us refill gas systems. Unless someone else KNOWS more? I believe there is a thread on here about it too but as yet haven't found it so if anyone can point it out to me I'd be grateful.

D.

Hi Dave this is it: Link Removed

The most up to date information thanks Niggle. :thumb: Bob.

13-02-2011, 22:19 #12 (permalink)
niggle
Funster

Funster No : 13042

just returned from france,, i was asked for a safty cert for my gas low tanks before filling up at a lpg pump, you will now see french cars with a cert in the windscreen if they are lpg run, because the french law now says they must be installed by a gas fitter and inspected every year with the mot ??? twice i filled up and was asked,lucky the gas low man gave me one on the check 2 months ago when he did the check, saying you will need this abroad soon ????? he was right,i saw two dutch m/h turned away,seems that all the super markets are doing it,the dutch guys tryed to argue but the woman said she could not as its all on camara boy was i lucky to put it in the odd n sods paper work ,,,

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I am now boarding a ferry when in France the first place I am going is to an LPG station to prove or disprove this scare story I will post straight after. Love haganap youre roaming Motorhome fun LPG reporter

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well I have now filled up twice with LPG once putting £1.20 in !!! I have not once been asked for any certificate. I will keep you all posted . The only thing I have seen is a pic of a gas bottle with a line through it. That when I asked refers to people whom use those cheap and nasty eBay type refil attachments . They are a no no will keep you informed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Very much appreciate that Paul as we go on the 3rd of may. Thank you. :thumb:

And I've just ripped out some inside panelling to move the filler outside. Might as well push the odd in my favour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back