Engine Battery Drain in Storage (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We store our MH for 4 weeks or more whilst I work away from home, engine battery drainage has reared its ugly head twice now and I need to find a solution before the lovely site operators become cheesed off with having to jump start me. I don't want to go to the expense of fitting a solar panel.

I'm contemplating fitting a key operated isolator switch to the negative battery terminal. has anyone done this or have any recommendations for a switch type or whatever and where if you fitted one was it mounted.

As ever I value your feedback or recommendations.

Thanks in anticipation

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We have the same problem as we could not get out in the snow to the storage. We had to charge it with the Genny. Dave is going to link in the solar panel to the battery but i'm not technical enough to answer your questions but someone here will know.
Lucille

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you are sure the battery is OK, And it is on a secure site I would be inclined to whip one of the battery leads off..

But make sure you have the radio code.. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We store our MH for 4 weeks or more whilst I work away from home, engine battery drainage has reared its ugly head twice now and I need to find a solution before the lovely site operators become cheesed off with having to jump start me. I don't want to go to the expense of fitting a solar panel.

I'm contemplating fitting a key operated isolator switch to the negative battery terminal. has anyone done this or have any recommendations for a switch type or whatever and where if you fitted one was it mounted.

As ever I value your feedback or recommendations.

Thanks in anticipation

I would undo the earth strap from the battery , 10mm spanner, job done.

don't forget you will need the radio code ..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
One of Link Removed under the bonnet BUT if it also kills the alarm how do you think the insurance would view damage or theft:whatthe:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks guys, to clarify, I cannot expect the storage owner to lift carpets and use a screwdriver to open up the battery cover so was thinking of an easily operated (key preferred) remote switch somewhere in the cab. (Negative terminal is fitted with a lever operated quick release battery clamp as standard) but again this means lifting cab carpet and a screwdriver to access battery.

I purchased a 12w solar panel mounted it on dashboard wired through a fuse and double pole switch directly to the battery while in storage last month but seemingly its not man enough to keep battery level up this dull overcast winter weather.

Thanks all

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your radio, clock and alarm will have a significant drain over 4 weeks.....even drain as low as 50 milliamps will be 34amps over a 4 week period plus battery self discharge.

yes, a battery isolator would be a good idea, unless you have an alarm which is used in storage of course.

rather than the key type i think this type would be more capable.

Link Removed

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
One of Link Removed under the bonnet BUT if it also kills the alarm how do you think the insurance would view damage or theft:whatthe:

Storage is a Gold Cassowa site very secure, insurance not aware I've fitted a cat 1 alarm as yet, so my thinking a key operated isolator would be quite an obstacle to a would be thief.

Again something in cab would be my choice as the way site operates vis- I deliver MH to a parking area, they then drive it into a secure storage area I'm not allowed in, so a key switch is the only solution I can see working?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Storage is a Gold Cassowa site very secure, insurance not aware I've fitted a cat 1 alarm as yet, so my thinking a key operated isolator would be quite an obstacle to a would be thief.

Again something in cab would be my choice as the way site operates vis- I deliver MH to a parking area, they then drive it into a secure storage area I'm not allowed in, so a key switch is the only solution I can see working?
The one I linked too can be mounted through the dash hidding all but the two mounting bolts and the black turret where the plastic key goes, the red key is of course removable a seperate mounting panel could be fabricated if you dont want to cut dash,
Make sure any cable you use to run to the switch is at least as thick as the original and also use rubber grommets in any holes you cut in metal firewall to run cables, I would as you suggest use the negative - as opposed to the poss +:thumb:
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back