Free Member
Feb 9, 2011
Mid Lothian
Funster No
MH
Coversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I'm feeling a little frightened currently as I've bought a fantastic minibus with the intention of converting it myself and am being told that insurance could be almost impossible, right now I'd like any advice on sympathetic insurers and importantly what an average and reasonable motorhome premium should be? Me and my partner are both 29 with clean motoring records.
Thanks

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Phillis

Welcome to MH Fun:welcome:

Can't help with your problems but we have self converters who are members, they will no doubt be along later able to answer your questions.

Hope all goes well.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Morning, and welcome!

Try giving The Insurance Factory a call on 0844 5571926 or have a look at Link Removed.

Just had a look at some reviews and they're not good, but we dealt with them for a few years and had no complaints at all - service was helpful, prices they found were reasonable (can't remember the amount I'm afraid) and all the stuff came through quickly. When I had to make some amendments that was dealt with efficiently as well.

At least it will be a starting point for a price.

Happy days!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Welcome to Fun
These say they cover selfbuild converted vans

Link Removed

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi:thumb:

There seem to be loads that do and there is a web site, something like self build motorhome (?) club, try google or wait for Terry.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There are lots of conversion issues that bat around the internet and turninto urban legends. The bear fact of the matter is;

1. Until it is fully converted - it is a van
(you cannot and should not insure as a camper or anything else!)

2. When it is completed, you we need to re-register and insure as a self build camper.

The reason it stays as a van until converted is because that is what it is - insurers will void your policy if you have an accident in a 'Camper' and they arrive to see a van with a half-built conversion.

When it is converted, they will happily insure and value it as a camper - but until then - it is a van.

Electric/gas certificates are best gained - though not a legal requirement, does prove during the paperwork stage or any subsequent sale at a later date that it has been converted properly and safely.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Not sure If I've already welcomed you, but if I have, it just goes to show that chaps like you are double welcome!

Dealing with one small point, if the vehicle is in use all the time, you ought to be able to get over the insurance angle by telling your present company what you are up to, with details, so they know the van's roadworthiness will not be affected, but do not use it as a camper until it's finished as earlier experts said. It shouldn't be too difficult to prove the difference if you do have an incident, provided you're upfront about it.

Best of luck with the build, anyway.

Cheers

Tony

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
HI

Hi there phillis and a warm welcome to MHF.im sure all your questions will be answered in here.good luck with your project:thumb: regards brian jo and josh:winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think Adren Flux insurance will do it as well

Adrien Flux insurance do all sorts of cover from kit cars to yanks.. They advertise in the MMM and many other places.. Based in Kings Lynn in Norfolk... Have insured yanks with them in the past.

Also welcome to the forum from us as well.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:thumb:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I started out with a commercial vehicle insurance company (sorry, can't remembr the name) who offered cover for "commercial vehicle for private use" It was expensive so I eventually changed to the C&CC scheme. They were much cheaper and only needed photos of the completed habitation area to provide cover.
Good luck with your project.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have had all-sorts of weird and wonderful selfbuilds in the past from kitcars to campers and have also found Adrian Flux both sympathetic and reasonably priced.

OP
OP
P

Phillis

Free Member
Feb 9, 2011
Mid Lothian
Funster No
MH
Coversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many Thanks

Thanks to all of you I really appretiate the help and advise. I've had more positive noises from insurers today and I'll certainly keep on the trail, the bus is sooo worth it. Well done for a great site.::bigsmile:

ekit

Free Member
Feb 9, 2011
warkwickshire
Funster No
MH
coach bessacarr 457
Exp
since 1964
ekit

Hi I'm feeling a little frightened currently as I've bought a fantastic minibus with the intention of converting it myself and am being told that insurance could be almost impossible, right now I'd like any advice on sympathetic insurers and importantly what an average and reasonable motorhome premium should be? Me and my partner are both 29 with clean motoring records.
Thanks

i did my own convresion in spain and had no trouble insuring it in uk ,there are several cothat do google it or motorhome mags ,but it depends how far you convert it,we had no electric. adrian flux does special things

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Best advice I could give would be to join the SBMCC (self build motorcaravanners club), there are loads of people on there who can help you with advice and ideas plus they have preferred insurers and discount suppliers, well worth the £15 subs.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back