Skype, the new version. (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have just down loaded the latest version of Skype (5.1.0.112) and there is now a facility to create a group contact. I have not tried it out yet as my link struggles with a single contact with two way video.

Maybe some one with a good ADLS line can try it and report on it?

Doug...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
not new doug been there for at least 12months
if not longer.
Maybe you mean group VIDEO, if so not tried it yet

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, is this not just typical of Skype ..

After reading Doug's post I launched Skype and clicked on update..

Bingo .. YES you can update to the latest version.. so I downloaded and installed .. then launched... and the message came up..

Sorry, your architecture is not supported,...:Doh:

yes, I still have an 'old' Mac with a PPC processor they no longer support.. so I had to go looking on the net for the old version and re install ..

Thank you Skype for abandoning millions of PowerPC Mac users. :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Well, is this not just typical of Skype ..

After reading Doug's post I launched Skype and clicked on update..

Bingo .. YES you can update to the latest version.. so I downloaded and installed .. then launched... and the message came up..

Sorry, your architecture is not supported,...:Doh:

yes, I still have an 'old' Mac with a PPC processor they no longer support.. so I had to go looking on the net for the old version and re install ..

Thank you Skype for abandoning millions of PowerPC Mac users. :Angry:

What can I say Jim, I'm sorry to be the instrument of a problem.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What can I say Jim, I'm sorry to be the instrument of a problem.

Doug...

Not at all Doug.. not your fault mate

The curtain is dropping on the PowerPC Mac, it's long in the tooth, software developers are not supporting it, Google's Chrome and Picassa are not supported, and even Apple has moved ahead leaving it largely unsupported.

Safari ( the Apple browser) is bloated with binary code to enable it to run on both processors, as a result it's buggy and clunky .. so it's no surprise Skype has moved on.. just annoying they don't warn BEFORE downloading .

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The curtain is dropping on the PowerPC Mac, it's long in the tooth, software developers are not supporting it, Google's Chrome and Picassa are not supported, and even Apple has moved ahead leaving it largely unsupported.

Safari ( the Apple browser) is bloated with binary code to enable it to run on both processors, as a result it's buggy and clunky .. so it's no surprise Skype has moved on.. just annoying they don't warn BEFORE downloading .

Join the club..although in my case I think of it as a bonus that my 2002 G3 iMac is still chugging along (slowly) even if it isn't my main computer. I wanted to install Skype on it a few months ago, just for the messenger part, but it was obviously too much work for Skype for allow that and prevent the audio stuff from working due the computer not being fast enough - instead it installed but refused to run, and I had to find the cause in a log file :Angry:

There's a project working on porting Firefox 4 to PPC, so I might squeeze a couple more years from the iMac yet. The next big problem is when the BBC update iPlayer to use a version of Flash that no longer runs on PPC :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Join the club..although in my case I think of it as a bonus that my 2002 G3 iMac is still chugging along (slowly) even if it isn't my main computer. I wanted to install Skype on it a few months ago, just for the messenger part, but it was obviously too much work for Skype for allow that and prevent the audio stuff from working due the computer not being fast enough - instead it installed but refused to run, and I had to find the cause in a log file :Angry:

There's a project working on porting Firefox 4 to PPC, so I might squeeze a couple more years from the iMac yet. The next big problem is when the BBC update iPlayer to use a version of Flash that no longer runs on PPC :Sad:

I had problems with Firefox, Safari and Camino, now using OmniWeb ... it has quite a number of neat features , my only dislike is the tabs sidebar rather than the conventional below the toolbar,.. but can live with it, otherwise it is fast and has a good pop up stopper. Worth a whirl if you haven't tried.

H14KLY

Free Member
Jul 4, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
:Smile: yes just to let u know it does work fine vidio with 2 others at same time on windows 7 perfect pictur although you can only have window vidio not full screen window pnp

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Not at all Doug.. not your fault mate

Jim, I just had a thought, I have an old desktop running Ubuntu and on that I run Skype, maybe you could do that with the mac.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back