Water pressure / Leaking tap issues - Getting desperate! (1 Viewer)

Hybrid

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Build
Exp
6 months
Hi all, really hope someone can help here.

I built my own camper, have both whale elite kitchen and shower taps.

The shower is fine but the kitchen leaks from the push fit.

I have had no less than 5 replacement taps from them, some had cracks some leaked from different places but they all leak from the push fit.

Whale say it must be my setup, but the shower plumbing is fine.

I'm beginning to think my shurflo 20psi pump is too much, ive tried winding the cut off screw out to no avail.

Next thing to try is a fiamma accumulator as i believe this will reduce my pressure down to 13psi, which should help.

Can anyone confirm this, they are rated at 13psi, or does it not work like that?

Any other advice welcome!

Maybe a regulator of sorts? Any idea what i would need?

Thanks all, Dave.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Dave,
the Fiamma accumulator doesnt reduce water pressure...it just takes the 'surge' out of it.

each time the pump pulses it sends a pressure wave through the system, the accumulator simply absorbs that pressure wave via the internal diaphragm which can have upto 13psi air pressure behind it.

20psi may be too excessive for a tap designed for around 13psi.

easiest solution is buy a regular domestic kitchen mixer tap and fit that in place of the Whale tap.

OP
OP
H

Hybrid

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Build
Exp
6 months
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Are whale taps rated to 13psi then, i couldnt find any info anywhere and forgot to ask the tech i called.

Ive thought about using a different tap but ive cut the hole in the worktop and all the alternatives appear to require a smaller hole so would rather avoid that if possible.

What would be the reasoning behine using a house tap? Higher psi rating?

If all motorhome taps are rated at 13psi why sell a 20psi pump as 'standard' fitment, both shurflo and whale pumps are 20psi.

Just rather confused that is all, why would whale sell a pump too high for their own taps.

Thanks again, Dave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the Sureflo pumps i'm thinking of are primarily aimed at american RV's and the pressure cut-off switch is rated at either 30 or 45psi. (model dependant)

yours may be a lower pressure model but worth checking if you arent sure.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
leaks

You can buy these pumps with all kinds of pressures and flows. You really do have too much pressure.

Hybrid1

Free Member
Feb 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Cant seem to reply with my other account, ???

I have a shurflo 20psi pump. Not 45 or 30 psi.

Link Removed

It is the standard lowest psi and flow pump you can buy, the same psi and flow whale sell themselves.

So I just cant fathom why a whale tap wouldnt work with a 20psi 7L pump.

Seems utterly bizarre.

What pump would you suggest? I dont really want to change taps.

Id rather a pump that is correct, if mine is wrong but i dont see how it could be.

Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just a thought......when you replace the various taps, did you trim the end of the plastic water pipe before pushing into the new tap ?

Hybrid1

Free Member
Feb 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
There are special push fit adaptors, the hose doesnt push in directly.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant seem to reply with my other account, ???
your only allowed a couple of weeks or a small number of posts before you must must either subscibe or become a 'read only' funster.

as you registered in january your time limit has expired that why you cant post anymore.

Hybrid
Read Only Funster

Funster No : 14995

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Best money you will spend, certainly get it back in useful advice alone!

How did you seal the push fits? Did you roughen and add the sealer before fitting? There are proper sealers that seal the join, though a very very thin smear of silicone will see you right. Roughen up the pipe surface, smear on and then fit the pushfits

Hybrid1

Free Member
Feb 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Agreed, i think im going to do it, looking forward to many years as a MH'er and this place looks like it will be very valuble.

I just pushed them in, i wasnt told to do otherwise in any of the instructions. Why ruff them up? and what would one use to do so?

Any particular silicone to use?

Sorry for all the questions, Thanks, Dave.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I am not sure of what taps you have if your ref to "push fit" refers to the pipe connectors or the tap connectors.

So, I have had in the past a problem with taps leaking from the where the pipe is push into the tap. the pipe is a purpose built to fit the tap and it has a rubber "O" ring on it then there is a plastic pin that goes through the body of the tap to hold the pipe in place.

Now if you have this kind of arrangement the problem I found is that there are at least 2 different sizes of pipe fitting and 2 sizes of taps and if you fit the larger of the pipe into the smaller of the taps it can split the tap moulding and if you fit the small pipe in to the larger of the taps it can leak.

The is only a very small difference in the sizes and at first glance the will look correct, but it occurred to me that you may have been supplied with the wrong combination.

Doug...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have learnt so much reading this post, worth a tenner of anyones money.

I replaced my taps at xmas (cracked, some one forgot to drain down and open them :Blush:)

when I got a replacement, I could not get the correct tap so got a similar one. However, the push fittings in to the tap were already connected and I utilised my hose's that were already there. Were your taps not already connected to the hoses?

still, learning a great deal about pressure. ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree with Doug..

the Whale tap is 12mm push fit , and no, the pipe should NOT be ruffed up under any circumstance .. that could cause leaks .. also, you do NOT use silcone grease ..

It comes with adapters for 12mm, 15mm and 1/2" pipes.. I suspect you have the wrong OD pipe. or wrong adapter ..

Link Removed
Plumbing Guide
Mk.2
Elegance Inlet Pipe System Used Fitting Required
12 mm smooth 12 mm semi-rigid Standard Whale Water System 12
fitting (Not Supplied)
12 mm smooth 15 mm semi-rigid
Use adaptor supplied plus standard
Whale Water System 15 fitting (not
supplied)
12 mm smooth 3/8" (10 mm) bore flexible hose Stainless steel hose clips
12 mm smooth ½" (13 mm) bore flexible hose Use adaptor supplied and stainless
steel hose clip
½" threaded Any semi-rigid size Standard Whale Water System fitting
(not supplied)

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Hybrid1 :thumb: Firstly pay the tenner to become a full member :thumb: That way you can get as much free advise as you will ever want :thumb:You can also post pics of your self build :thumb: We like pics :thumb: see mine Link Removed
Never rough up the push fit pipes as they seal with a smooth rubber O ring :thumb: I know you said you do not want to change taps -if poss - but generally whale taps are crap especially the micro switched ones :ROFLMAO: If you leave the slightest bit of water in them and it freezes the taps split and new ones are required :Eeek: As has already been said you have got the wrong size tap for pipe combination as push fits very rarely leak when new ::bigsmile:
Personally I would opt for looking around to find some domestic taps that you could replace the whale taps with - probably cheaper than the whales :thumb: Are yours mono block or twin hole type ? either way you can easily find replacements
terry
BTW that is a little bit naughty - rejoining - the tenner will be the best tenner spent on your S/B :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back