In Praise of the Trakvision Dome. (1 Viewer)

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
We’ve just returned from Spain and France and I thought that I’d give a report on my KVH TracVision R4 satellite dome. I previously had a Camos 40cm but, whilst being very good, it did look like a huge carbuncle on the top of the ‘van. The TrakVision is a slightly smaller dish and it’s much more attractive being lower and slightly wider.

Other advantages that I like about the TrakVision are: No separate control box where you have to manually change the satellite; automatic satellite selection if the programme can’t be located on Astra 2 and it will switch to another satellite as long as that channel is available on it.

Speed of operation is very impressive; we can park up on a services or lay-by and simply switch on and within seconds we’re watching TV courtesy of the dome and my Maxview 12v digibox.

I chose a dome over a dish because I want it to work in any conditions, such as high wind. I also believe that, as a dome system has a totally enclosed satellite dish, it may be less susceptible to problems caused by exposure to the elements.

I fully accept that the footprint will be smaller than most dishes but the only essential programmes for me are the news channels. It’s nice to have the usual terrestrial channels as well, mainly because I can also watch my local news programmes, but I can live without them as long as I’ve got BBC News, Sky News and CNN.

We sailed to Santander and then drove to Salamanca where the only programmes available were the three news channels and a few free ‘cable type’ programmes such as True Movies, Movies for Men etc.

Down on the south coast of Spain, west of Gibraltar, we again received the news channels perfectly and this continued until we were just north of Barcelona when we started to pick up all the regular programmes. Our next stop was in Carcassonne, where again, we received all the usual free Astra 2 channels and this continued of course as we drove north to the Dordogne and then to Caen.

So to sum up, if you’re not bothered about soaps and news is your main interest the TrakVision will work perfectly in the southernmost part of Spain. In France it should receive all the other Astra 2 channels without any problem.

What is most impressive is the ease of operation. If it can’t receive the news programmes on Astra 2 it simply switches satellite and picks them up on Astra 1 or presumably Hotbird, which is the three that I have programmed in.

If there is no signal it’s simply because there is no line of sight to a satellite so I read a book, or this time I viewed my box set of the entire five series of ‘The Wire’ which my daughter bought me for Christmas. This is one of the finest programmes of its type ever made and I can really recommend it. Better even than ‘The Sopranos’ which is made by the same company, HBO.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We had one fitted in our van the R4 to be exact..but they never fitted it to run on 12 volt so we always had to have EHU why they did that dunno I'm sure I asked for it to be fitted that way...When we got it the guys who fitted it were great didn't make too much mess anyway when fitted we were told to contact sky for a card they never told me it would cost £20...They then said this is the best system going you will get a picture all over Europe..They didn't say it wouldn't be BBC1 ITV1 etc we eventually took out a Sky subscription no probs 6 weeks after we had it fitted it packed up whilst we were on the Il de Oleron so we got in touch with the firm they sent a technician to us from La Rochelle..with typical Gallic charm and a dodgy line in cigarettes (When I asked him to put it out and concentrate on the job he had a hissy fit) he did the usual Gallic shrug of the shoulders faffed about and said "Oui mesieur now it works OK nez pa??" well yea it did
A few weeks later we had probs again but we were at the NEC at the m/home show and the tracvision guys were there so I told them exactly what I thought of their product.. and I'll give then their due when Simon (One of the Bosses) asked what was wrong with it and I explained..he knew exactly what the fault was he said if I had the part here I'd fit it now..anyway he got one couriered up and fitted it himself the next day and from then on no worries at all
We couldn't get BBC1 ITV1 etc when we were in Spain past Barcelona but they don't tell you that do they!! we managed to get Ch 5 and Sky 1 when we were in Peniscola.. once back over the border into France around Perpignan/Narbonne we could get just about everything we had on our Sky package
Why when we buy these products don't they explain satellite footprints etc so you know what you can get and where you can get it..as you say if you don't mind news progs and a few of the alternate channels you'll be OK
Would I buy another well yes BUT it would be the R5a that tracks whilst you are on the move..me personally I can do without the TV.. 'er indoors now that's a different thing she's a big soap fan and if she misses her 'Stenders..Corrie..Emmerdale..Hollyoaks..Doctors...Well life is not worth living so sat tv it has to be!!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We had one fitted in our van the R4 to be exact..but they never fitted it to run on 12 volt so we always had to have EHU why they did that dunno I'm sure I asked for it to be fitted that way...When we got it the guys who fitted it were great didn't make too much mess anyway when fitted we were told to contact sky for a card they never told me it would cost £20...They then said this is the best system going you will get a picture all over Europe..They didn't say it wouldn't be BBC1 ITV1 etc we eventually took out a Sky subscription no probs 6 weeks after we had it fitted it packed up whilst we were on the Il de Oleron so we got in touch with the firm they sent a technician to us from La Rochelle..with typical Gallic charm and a dodgy line in cigarettes (When I asked him to put it out and concentrate on the job he had a hissy fit) he did the usual Gallic shrug of the shoulders faffed about and said "Oui mesieur now it works OK nez pa??" well yea it did
A few weeks later we had probs again but we were at the NEC at the m/home show and the tracvision guys were there so I told them exactly what I thought of their product.. and I'll give then their due when Simon (One of the Bosses) asked what was wrong with it and I explained..he knew exactly what the fault was he said if I had the part here I'd fit it now..anyway he got one couriered up and fitted it himself the next day and from then on no worries at all
We couldn't get BBC1 ITV1 etc when we were in Spain past Barcelona but they don't tell you that do they!! we managed to get Ch 5 and Sky 1 when we were in Peniscola.. once back over the border into France around Perpignan/Narbonne we could get just about everything we had on our Sky package
Why when we buy these products don't they explain satellite footprints etc so you know what you can get and where you can get it..as you say if you don't mind news progs and a few of the alternate channels you'll be OK
Would I buy another well yes BUT it would be the R5a that tracks whilst you are on the move..me personally I can do without the TV.. 'er indoors now that's a different thing she's a big soap fan and if she misses her 'Stenders..Corrie..Emmerdale..Hollyoaks..Doctors...Well life is not worth living so sat tv it has to be!!

Mondo who fitted the KVH for you?

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back