Number plates (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I have a new set of numberplates to attach. The makers have supplied both screws and caps and sticky pads to fit. The plates are not pre-drilled and, besides, the makers recommend the sticky pads as the preferred method. Does anybody have two penn'rth they'd like to contribute? :RollEyes:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
For what mine is worth ( two penneth ), we also had some that were not pre drilled so sticky pads it is. Not keen as always thinking they could drop off but touch wood as yet they havent.

Dale

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I have a new set of numberplates to attach. The makers have supplied both screws and caps and sticky pads to fit. The plates are not pre-drilled and, besides, the makers recommend the sticky pads as the preferred method. Does anybody have two penn'rth they'd like to contribute? :RollEyes:

Hi Tony
Like Dale has put sticky ones ok :thumb:, But a couple of the number plate nut & bolts you know they are secure:thumb:, I did lose a front plate off my car a few years back that was on pads. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
If you do drill the plates I would advise you put some pva sealer around the inside of the holes, my last 2 cars have suffered from water ingress between the laminates of the plate and they ended up looking very untidy, in fact just take a general look at any of the reflective stlye plates and you will see loads with water ingress

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
If you make sure both sufaces are clean and free of grease and youre putting them on a flat surface not curved they should stick for ever, in fact they are a bugger to get off if you want to.

All the best Rick.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there tony,iv,e just put no.plates on a vechicle of mine and i drilled them and used plastic no.plate bolts to fix them.i would,nt trust the sticky pads:whatthe: regards brian jo and josh

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
If you make sure both sufaces are clean and free of grease and youre putting them on a flat surface not curved they should stick for ever, in fact they are a bugger to get off if you want to.

All the best Rick.

Do as this man tells you, clean surface with Isopropyl Alcohol

:thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Use the sticky pads. Make sure the surfaces are clean, and the plate is not under pressure from a curvature, and they should stick like $$$$ to the proverbial blanket.

Craig

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Sad, but me I drill and bolt/screw always, simples, I hate untidy number plates and as has been said with sticky pads they are a bugger to get off and I always fear damaging the vehicle trying, just me but:Blush:

Mind you if screwed on of course they are also easier to nick:Doh:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Sad, but me I drill and bolt/screw always, simples, I hate untidy number plates and as has been said with sticky pads they are a bugger to get off and I always fear damaging the vehicle trying, just me but:Blush:

no thier not, just get a length of brass picture hanging wire, slip behind and saw away sideways through the pad

easy

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Me I drill and screw

Sounds a bit obscene:Blush::Blush: but I drill and screw them...

But...... Always a but.... On the trailer I have a metal clip that allows me to changethe number plates over..so there is a third way.... Always have to be different::bigsmile:

Bob:thumb:

Keith Collins

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Sad, but me I drill and bolt/screw always, simple, I hate untidy number plates and as has been said with sticky pads they are a bugger to get off and I always fear damaging the vehicle trying, just me but:Blush:

Sticky pads can be removed, I'm not sure I would say easily... but without too much effort! Heat the pad with a hair-dryer to warm it, it will loosen enough to pull off and then you grab an old credit card (or similar) and scrape at the goo left to clean it off. If not moving, blast with the hair dryer again to make it tacky.

Screws are more tricky to fit, but easier to remove (not sure if that's a plus or a minus though!). Pads are easy to fix and then harder to remove - so I guess its a personal preference. I use pads personally, I watched Broken Link Removed on attaching with screws and I figured pads were the easy way forward! Hence my well rehearsed technique with the hair-dryer and credit card!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Use the sticky pads cos if you drill you'll eventually develop corrosion around the holes

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Drilling the things and using nylon bolts is the best way, then you dont need caps. Sticky number plates are so easy to steal, stick over existing plates, and you get Mr Plod knocking because your number was used to nick a tank of petrol from the filling station........:(

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Use the sticky pads cos if you drill you'll eventually develop corrosion around the holes
Plastic dosent corrode.......And if you use the correct nylon bolts/nuts, neither do they.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I drilled my plates when I put them on my car.
I was told to drill from the back to the front, otherwise the printed bit (on the back) can be partially delaminated from the plastic front.
Had the plates on the car 4 years, and so far no issues

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I'd superglue & bolt them on if i were you :cool: Now there are no tax discs the scrotes will be nicking them to put on their cars to save paying tax. :eek:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Has no one noticed how old this thread is :eek::eek:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Sticky pads my arse,:) lost two number plates with these buggers, drill and screw and use a bit of silicone, nuff said.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.Caution,worth mentioning i hope..
I like to Screw.... but,did it on a car as the rear plate came off due to the heat in portugal,called in the supplier back here, threatening to sue..JOKE !! and showed him the secure "Screwed on" Plate,we had a laugh and then he said." If there is any trouble around that area,you could lose your 6 year corrosion warranty,however being as it is you,i will sort it at next service.
I had another one that started to "List to Port" (As in Porto LOL Rissed as a Pat) but resisted the urge to screw and used a whole tube of silaflex instead,this has stuck it a treat,ish........ I can see it's crooked !!! DOH !
T
e
a
B
a
g

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi.Caution,worth mentioning i hope..
I like to Screw.... but,did it on a car as the rear plate came off due to the heat in portugal,
Yeah, ours fell off in Crete due to the heat - in fact everything that was sticky padded on fell off - carbon monoxide detector, towel hooks, rodent repeller - the bloody lot!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back