Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Do you need a sign with those stripey lines strapped to the back of the bike rack and a gb sticker on the back when you visit france or just to go into spain.?also we have a light that lights to tell us when we have reversed polarity on the van.do we still need an adaptor or will those 2pin adaptor suffice? We have a new style number plate wit the gb logo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes you do need a reflective board

Do you need a sign with those stripey lines strapped to the back of the bike rack and a gb sticker on the back when you visit france or just to go into spain.?also we have a light that lights to tell us when we have reversed polarity on the van.do we still need an adaptor or will those 2pin adaptor suffice? We have a new style number plate wit the gb logo

I know Johns Cross Motorhomes sell two types, one is a card plastic very cheap and also the metal one which is complusory in Italy (cannot be the plastic paper type).. if I recall that was around £30 mark less club discount and I am sure Peter will be around soon to give the details.

You must display it on the back of the bike rack. We use ours to go on our Wheelchair which is on an American bike rack even in the UK. You do not put the GB sticker on it.. that should be either part of your numberplate or as a seperate item on the near side (UK) edge at the rear of the camper... but not on the reflective plate and remember if you are over 3.5 tons you need to display a 90 km disc.

As far as plugs go most of France use the blue type plug a few still have the old two pin, but again I know Johns Cross sell the pig tail adapter to enable you to coonect it to the blue plug should you still come across on on your travels.

Make sure you have the bigger longer cable and to unwind it when in use.

Bob:thumb:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Warning Sign: Not mandatory in France or UK but prudent to use in any case.

GB sticker: not required if you have the EU / GB flag on number plate

As Bob said, most of the French sites and Aires use the Blue 16A 3pin plug ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the adaptor with the 2 pin for foreign climes but we have been told that you have to make up an adaptor for the reverse polarity thing? We are not sure how you do that?

Wikisnoodle

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi-top
Exp
Since July '08
Traveling in France

GB sticker? Yes, if not incorporated into your number plate.
Stripey sign? Not mandatory in France yet. Don't know about Spain.
Reversed polarity? I just have 2 2-pin adaptors, 1 with the wires crossed over. :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You can buy automatic change overs

We have the adaptor with the 2 pin for foreign climes but we have been told that you have to make up an adaptor for the reverse polarity thing? We are not sure how you do that?

Firstly just add to ScotJims 16amp plug... While these are called 16amps not that many French sites have 16 amps... You will often find 6 amps or 10 amps... So make sure you know the rating when you get to a site or if using the ACIS book look at the site details... It is not good to trip the fuse to many times.

As for reverse polarity.. We had VanBitz fit an automatic switch over unit in to our RV.. So it does not matter to us if it is wired the wrong way round. There are several different units on the market to test the negative / positive direction. Try Johns Cross Motorhomes for info or one of the others that advertise in magazines like MMM each month .. road Pro springs to mind,or as I say I had mine supplied and fitted by VanBitz in Taunton, Devon..recommended.

Re the warning plate there are some Road Traffic Acts on this in the UK and if you extend past the rear of a camper then it is wise to fit one.. I.e outboard engines on back of boats require a cover and now the warning reflective plate...France we always have the warning signs on our trailer as well due to how long we are etc.,. It saves a lot of hassle with the French police... Shows you are serious users that make the effort. Italy it is compulsive.. Remember not the cheap one, but the tin one.

Hope that helps

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Trish,

As said on another post, cheapo about £6-50, metal about £30, websites on the blink (upgrade) at the monent, normal service soon (I hope!):cry:

Just search in search box and it should still work:thumb:
Fiamma Rear Warning Sign

Peter

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
The rear reflector sign is allegedly compulsory in Spain...I always displayed mine but never saw any of the Spanish vans with one on!! the choice is yours but remember Murphy's Law..ie if it can go wrong it will!! and the Guardia Civil may stop you and fine you!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back