Air Suspension UK (1 Viewer)

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I'm contemplating having air-suspension fitted as I've been grounding the rear corners on ferry ramps and like the idea of being able to raise up the back end at will.

I've Googled 'Air Suspension UK' of Warrington and wonder if any Funster has had any experience of them and can recommend them. Or failing that an alternative. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I can wholeheartedly recommend them. I have used them twice and there work is first class and they treat their customers well.

I am sure that you will get a number of posts saying exactly the same thing.

Lunarman

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Yep have to say that others on here that have had work done by them have recommended them as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
We had our Carthago Chic fitted two years ago when it was new, with Air Suspension by Phil at Warrington we are exceptionally pleased with the result. We too were dubius about grounding the back end, we are now able to carry two disability scooters in the garage and have the luxury of lowering the rear when offloading them and pumping it up again all from inside the cab.
Finances permitting we will have the front end done also then we shall be able to level up on site with out faffing with the leveling ramps.
We hope to be at the Peterborough show in April so you are welcome to check it out if you want.

OP
OP
S

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I can wholeheartedly recommend them. I have used them twice and there work is first class and they treat their customers well.

I am sure that you will get a number of posts saying exactly the same thing.

Lunarman

Hi Lunarman

Thanks for your useful reply. I see that you have a Lunar 786 and I know they have quite an overhang and are susceptible to grounding. I take it that's why you needed air suspension. By approximately how much can you lift up the back end, would you say?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm contemplating having air-suspension fitted as I've been grounding the rear corners on ferry ramps and like the idea of being able to raise up the back end at will.

I've Googled 'Air Suspension UK' of Warrington and wonder if any Funster has had any experience of them and can recommend them. Or failing that an alternative. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks
I can't recommend AS Air Suspension highly enough. Phil & Cathy are so helpful and efficient. We had the system fitted to an Autosleeper Windsor (Transit) a couple of years ago and it made an enormous difference to the drivability. Give them a try - I'm sure you wont regret it.
:thumb::thumb:

PS they also have sweeties on their stand at the shows:Smile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I can add my recommendation too, we were well looked after on the day.

After ordering at the NEC we had ours done last November. Spent a few days at Delamere Forest C&CC site whilst there and left the MH with them in the morning, got a lift into Warrington where we took the train into Liverpool for the day. Picked up again mid afternoon and job well done. Only road tested so far but it certainly smooths out the ride on some of our awful roads and I imagine it would sort out any ramp problems on ferries too.

Access to their workshop looks a bit daunting involving a low bridge but if a bus can get down there so can you! :thumb:

PS. It was tape measures on the stand at the NEC - good ones too!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
go for it

Phil fitted Air Suspension to our Autotrail Cheyenne the best money I have spent, on a Mercedes sprinter chassis which rolls quite a lot transformed the ride.
Phil knows what he is doing and Cathy makes a nice cuppa, lovely people and excellent standard of workmanship.

Highly Recommended. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Squire
I have had air susspension on both my vans. I know not what model you have but I purchased and fitted mine my self for a fraction of the cost (saved £250). It was a very simple job and actually somewhat enjoyable.
They are a massive improvement and well worth the investment for many reasons, not least drive quality. However, I would not think this is the answer to your grounding out problem, they are also not designed to increase payload, the lift or stiffness added is significant but you will always be at risk of grounding out with a large over hang. Mine does occasionally.

If you want to be a toy man :winky: get the gauges and the compressor fitted, fun if not a little lazy.:winky:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I had air suspension on my self build Iveco fitted by JD Repairs of Sennybridge (very reasonable) and it has changed my driving experience totally (for the better).

Highly recommended...

JJ

I helped my mate Mick fit his to his van by the side of the beach in Cabanas, Eastern Algarve... very straight forward job...

http://wagonman2000.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Lunarman

Thanks for your useful reply. I see that you have a Lunar 786 and I know they have quite an overhang and are susceptible to grounding. I take it that's why you needed air suspension. By approximately how much can you lift up the back end, would you say?

I can raise the tail approx 5.5".

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
air suspension

hi there yes we have had work done by A S air suspension,we had a levelling system fitted on our Dorado RV.Phil and Cathy are great and excellent workmanship:thumb: regards brian jo and josh

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We've had AS Air Suspensions system for a couple of years now and can't fault either the system or AS.

Phil and Cath are a very professional couple who provide an excellent service. :thumb::thumb:

The system has made an enormous difference to our Knaus Sun Liner.
We can raise the rear end by about 4 inches so no problems with bottoming any more. :Smile:
No wallowing in the ruts on UK motorways. :Smile:
I don't suffer with travel sickness any more.:Smile:
No wind sheer any more when trucks thunder past on motorways. :Smile:

The list goes on!!:Smile::Smile:

Great system and great company - well worth travelling to Warrington!:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
S

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi Squire
I have had air susspension on both my vans. I know not what model you have but I purchased and fitted mine my self for a fraction of the cost (saved £250). It was a very simple job and actually somewhat enjoyable.
They are a massive improvement and well worth the investment for many reasons, not least drive quality. However, I would not think this is the answer to your grounding out problem, they are also not designed to increase payload, the lift or stiffness added is significant but you will always be at risk of grounding out with a large over hang. Mine does occasionally.

If you want to be a toy man :winky: get the gauges and the compressor fitted, fun if not a little lazy.:winky:

Well, it's the grounding problem I am seeking to resolve - specifically when boarding ferries. I'm happy with the ride quality as it is, but on the other hand I have no means of comparison so I can't appreciate any possible improvement until I experience it - if you see what I mean. At the moment all I am wanting is the facility to raise up the back end a few inches which at least will reduce the frequency and possibility of grounding on ferry ramps. I think Lunarman has provided the answer I was hoping to hear - and on the strength of that I'm going for it. I only know of Air Suspension UK in Warrington that supply kits and they seem to enjoy a good reputation for service, although I will be fitting it myself and will probably never meet them in person. No one's criticised the quality of their gear or even mentioned it one way or the other, so I assume that it must be reliable and of good quality. And as I say, I don't know of anyone else .....

Thanks to all who have offered their advice - the response has been great.

I hope to be able to reciprocate sometime .....

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Squire,

I see that you are going to fit the systems yourself. If it is for an ALKO chassis then I don't think AS suspension sell the kit for DIY.

It is quite a big job to fit and involves removing the rear brakes and hubs.

There is a Dunlop kit that you can buy from Marcle leisure for the ALKO Chassis.

Lunarman

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We can highly recommend Phil and Cathy and their service is second to none. The difference the air suspension has made to to MH is great as no more worries that we will ground not just getting on/off ferries but in other circumstances such as ramps getting into/out of car parks etc. It makes a big difference on motorways with far less turbulance when being passed by large lorries etc.

Kath & Howie

Kath & Howie

OP
OP
S

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Squire,

I see that you are going to fit the systems yourself. If it is for an ALKO chassis then I don't think AS suspension sell the kit for DIY.

It is quite a big job to fit and involves removing the rear brakes and hubs.

There is a Dunlop kit that you can buy from Marcle leisure for the ALKO Chassis.

Lunarman

Thanks for the advice, Lunarman, but it's not for an Al-Ko chassis. I was particularly interested in your reply on behalf of a friend who has a Lunar 780 who's also interested. He thinks his van is the dogs doodahs and I must say it's very spacious and well fitted out. I'll point him in the direction of Marcle Leisure, if he doesn't fancy a drive to Warrington.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back