Down grading some "A" roads (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've been saying this for ages, Sat navs can only navigate using road classification , hence my skepticism about so called truck sat navs..

It's even worse in France .. "D" roads are so called because they are maintained by the French Departments ... and can be anything from a narrow lane to a dual carriage-way, so there is no way a sat nav can determine if it's suitable for a large motorhome / RV or not.
Use sat nav by all means but always check the route on paper before setting off.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Fully agree

I've been saying this for ages, Sat navs can only navigate using road classification , hence my skepticism about so called truck sat navs..

It's even worse in France .. "D" roads are so called because they are maintained by the French Departments ... and can be anything from a narrow lane to a dual carriage-way, so there is no way a sat nav can determine if it's suitable for a large motorhome / RV or not.
Use sat nav by all means but always check the route on paper before setting off.

Always check a road map as well.

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Always check a road map as well.

Bob:thumb:

OK, you are using the navigator to get you to a place you have never been before, the paper map say's the roads you are going to use are "A" class roads but when you get there the roads are not What you expect and "A" class road to be.

What then???

What good did do to "Always check a road map as well"???

Doug...

Mr Mannering, where are you?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could always check your route, in sections, on google earth.

i always check site 'approach' roads using it and now we have proper 360deg 'camera' shots its even better. :thumb:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
could always check your route, in sections, on google earth.

i always check site 'approach' roads using it and now we have proper 360deg 'camera' shots its even better. :thumb:

You can not be serious, check a 300 mile journey on the sat pictures, you have to be joking.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Downgrading some "A" roads to "B" road would I think be a big help to MH-ers. How many times have you relied on the navigator believing you are using a "A" road only to find its a bloody farm track with an "A" road status!!!

That would mean we would have no navigable roads left on the island! :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back