Any Idea? (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
:helpsos:anyone out there know how long on average would it take a factory to build a new motorhome from scratch? Also when would an electrical cert for appliances be carried out during the build process?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
:helpsos:anyone out there know how long on average would it take a factory to build a new motorhome from scratch? Also when would an electrical cert for appliances be carried out during the build process?

Depends on the individual converter, number of bodies on the production line etc etc. They are not mass produced like cars and vans!

As to certification, at the end of the production line I would imagine.

Peter

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
any idea

Hi thanks for your reply. If I said a brand new MH was ordered, built and tested within 9 weeks what would you think of that?
:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi thanks for your reply. If I said a brand new MH was ordered, built and tested within 9 weeks what would you think of that?

I would want to thoroughly check every single item in the box to make sure that it had not been thrown together in a rush.

I would also think that 'you' might have hit the producer at a very slack period.

I would think that maybe the producer owed the dealer a very big favour and let his order jump to the front of the queue.

But initally I would want to check that everything worked properly - in my opinion things that are done in a rush are seldom done with proper care!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi I would be very unimpressed :ROFLMAO: It only took 2 of us 12 weeks from start to finish to convert my ex ambulance to m/h
When we got to the inside bits that only took about 16 days :thumb:- say four weeks allowing for weekends,as we only worked from 9 till 4 ish -That was making furniture :winky: not just fastening pre assembled stuff into the van :thumb: We did cheat a bit by getting ready made drawers and cupboard doors made to measure ( cheaper than making them ) and the upholstery done ( about 3 days start to finish ) but other than that we did the lot :thumb:
I would put our van up against any of the big boys vans for comparison and against things falling off / breaking :Eeek: :thumb:Although I cannot make all the nice rounded /curvy furniture it still is impressive after nearly 4 yrs :thumb:
Link Removed
see the link for more info on how we did it
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
jerry built I say... I have been converting my Iveco for 12 years and it still isn't nearly finished...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:::bigsmile: yours is a work in progress - mines finished.
terry

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:::bigsmile: yours is a work in progress - mines finished.
terry

...an interesting use of the word "progress" Terry... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ

"... if you do everything you have to do today... what are you going to do tomorrow?"

quote. JJ on MotorhomeFun.co.uk

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Ours was ordered on the 28th of September 2010 and will not be ready till late March early April 2011.......but I think that is because others are being built before ours, first come first served ..as we purchased from the Paris Motorhome show I should imagine the Rapido company was securing work for the following year.......how long it takes to actually build a motorhome ??????:winky: may be 9 weeks maybe more maybe less

As there is only 52 weeks in a year I would hope a company is turning out more than 6 motorhomes a year.....I would say more like days to weeks...instead of weeks to months

Are you saying the 9 weeks is tooooo long or tooooo short ?????

Also it would depend on if the motorhome you have ordered is standard factory built........ours is having lots of alterations done in the factory...........many factors in the equation to say how it takes to build a Motorhome...conveyor belt to hand built
Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

My own experience is that in the past I've been quoted around 12 weeks delivery time give or take a couple of weeks - apart from the time when I was quoted over a year by a manufacturer whose order books were already full to bursting. As far as the issuing of an electrical certificate is concerned, common sense dictates that it would probably be signed off by the leccie when he's finished installing it - and that could be any time within the latter half of the build process I guess.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Sorry Im lost? 9 weeks? what's the problem with that?

For an expert manufacture with all that is required?

You must be the first person in my years of motorhoming complaining about it being too quick?
Normally forum's are full of people moaning about they ordered in Oct and had to wait till March for delivery.

So unless you can sort of give us a clue on what the issue is, Im begining to feel sorry for the Dealers, they just can't win :Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

no surprise, all of the interior items will have been massed produced ready for assembly. The basic chassis takes less than an hour to assemble, why should the habitation be any different.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This will give you an idea of what is involved, though for an RV, it is similar.

Those with a Tiffin RV may enjoy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxI3mfWR5yQ[/ame]

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Sorry Im lost? 9 weeks? what's the problem with that?

For an expert manufacture with all that is required?

You must be the first person in my years of motorhoming complaining about it being too quick?
Normally forum's are full of people moaning about they ordered in Oct and had to wait till March for delivery.

So unless you can sort of give us a clue on what the issue is, Im begining to feel sorry for the Dealers, they just can't win :Sad:

Yes - that's a good point - what IS the issue den2406dog ? You can build a house in 9 weeks, provided you've already got the land, planning permission in place, building drawings, permits, components to hand ... etc etc It's the preparation and organisation that takes time .....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back