Pace Sky Minibox or Maxview MXL020 (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Want to use (try to anyway) one or the other of these abroad, down into Spain with luck. I would need to buy a Sky white card £25 for the Minibox. Which unit would work best including user friendliness, would one or the other give more channels? Both these units run on 12v and both are small and light. Opinions and advice greatly appreciated. Jane :Smile:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Want to use (try to anyway) one or the other of these abroad, down into Spain with luck. I would need to buy a Sky white card £25 for the Minibox. Which unit would work best including user friendliness, would one or the other give more channels? Both these units run on 12v and both are small and light. Opinions and advice greatly appreciated. Jane :Smile:

Hi Jane,

Just looked at both units, does the maxview have a com slot for the sky card?

I understand the Pace Javalin sky minibox is good for Spain, although reception will depend on location and weather conditions, we get a limited selection of FTA channels in Spain and a good selection for the radio. That was with the Maxview on tripod, its about the same with our Zehnder ZX68 and Camos Planer Plus.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

Neville

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Neville and Lynda :Smile:
No the Maxview box does not have a slot, but then I was choosing between one or the other (Sky or not) never had Sky and not really been interested. We have been happy with Freeview and found a great channel on that when we were down in Gandia with you last year. What is the weather like? Jane and Bob ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
With a Sky box and Sky card it will allow you to get ITV1, C4 and Five on a "small" 60-80cm dish.

Last time I scnned TDT (Spains version of Freeview via a TV Aerial) I receiver about 50 digital Spanish channels, and quite a few had programmes that you could change the language from SPanish to English.

(Gandia was very wet yesterday, and Denia had a huge hail storm yesterday and coated the beach white!)

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
With a Sky box and Sky card it will allow you to get ITV1, C4 and Five on a "small" 60-80cm dish.

Last time I scnned TDT (Spains version of Freeview via a TV Aerial) I receiver about 50 digital Spanish channels, and quite a few had programmes that you could change the language from SPanish to English.

(Gandia was very wet yesterday, and Denia had a huge hail storm yesterday and coated the beach white!)

Thanks for that. Is that a true Sky card or a SkyFreesat (£25 white card) that you are using? I thought that you could not get 5 with the Sky card? Confused. Jane :RollEyes: What weather eh! Bet you have had some sun though :)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
bobnjane:
ANY sky card (freesatfromsky OR subscription) will get you the freetoview versions of ITV1, C4, and Five, Fiver, Five USA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
Hi Jane

We have just ventured into satellite tv for the motorhome.
We went down the sky minibox idea with a Maxview dish on a tripod. We thought this would let us see if we would watch it enought to justify a dome in the future. (a folding system such as Oyster isn't an option as we have solar panel which takes up a lot of roof space)

I have also bought a £25 Sky card which provides a few extra channels (not many) but is set to your region which helps for local news etc.

I fitted the box myself, wired into the same power source as the ariel booster, routed the cable from wardrobe to bathroom unit which has a window close by. Only about 6 inches of cable to be seen inside the van. This means no holes if me buy a dome later.

If you are going for a fixed dish and only want sky this works fine. However we have already discovered that using a freesat box would be more usefull if you are going to use a self tracking dish as you would have the option to pick up hotbird and other satellites.

We already plan to get a dome and maxview freesat box. I would keep the sky minibox in the system if it was possible.

We have been reliably inform that a larger dish is much better the further south you travel..

Sorry for the long winded reply....

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks to satandpcguy and blokarter for all the helpful info. What we have done is... sold the Pace box as I did not want to get involved with Sky, I just know that we would be down in Spain and the card would not be recognised or someone at Sky had pushed the wrong button and I would be the one having to sort it out. So, anyway, bought a Maxview free to air satellite box. We have a dish on a stand and am happy with that, Bob put a box on the side with both F and normal connections in it as we also use an aerial anyway.
Not too worried about a bigger dish, we have picked up good channels on Freeview before now when abroad. The TV has a USB port on it which if I put films onto USB sticks I can watch them on there. Ultimately, I have an ereader so I am more than covered when weather decides to keep me in the van. Had lots of help on this TV subject and thanks to those that PM'd me. Warmest regards, Jane :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back