Cleaning exterior of motorhome - How (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Can anyone help me with this...I need an idiots guide to cleaning exterior of motorhome. Im worried I might hurt it... :Doh:

Ive bought so far

• Fenwicks black streak remover
  • An extendable brush (bought from Go Outdoor in caravan section)
  • I have a sponge and some sort of mitt
  • set of stepladders
  • I have some general car wash stuff which I could use for cab

Can anyone point me to a web page, other forum posts, youtube video which can help me clean motorhome like an 'Idiots Guide'

Any help appreciated...

-

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
cleaning

hi there,there is no real simple way of cleaning your motorhome or RV,we swear by Autoglym,they have a fantastic range of quality products:winky:my son josh usually takes care of most of our cleaning and polishing,he,s a great lad :thumb:eek:h and by the way you will need a very large tin of elbow grease:ROFLMAO: regards brian jo and josh:winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
start at the top and work down....simples !

i use nowt but hot water and washing up liquid with an extending brush.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi mate its a daunting task better starting at the top and work down
i have only done mine once 3hours and snow blindness. :cry:
so next time im wearing shades them white panels hurt your eyes after looking at them for a while.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yep - start with the roof. Get your steps and the extended brush, plenty of soap and water and scrub. Then rinse then clean the rest

Did it myself this weekend - bloody freezing.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Cleaning is quite simple, the only thing you must be aware of is DO NOT USE THE BRUSH ON THE POLYCARBONATE (plastic) WIDOWS!!, they scratch so easily, hose them down first to remove any grit then sponge them using plenty of water.
I usually hose the whole van down first, then clean it using a proprietary car wash (apparently washing up liquid contains salt and is therefore corrosive), I then hose the suds off and then using a garden spray I spray the whole thing with Fenwicks 'Bobby Dazzler', 1 capful to 5 litres water, it's brilliant stuff the rinsing water just rolls off, then finally leather it all down.

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you use washing up liquid - make sure you polish afterwards as you remove any wax/protective coating that is on there. You will then suffer fading and black streaks.

tfr is usually pretty good stuff, or like you are doing, a caravan cleaner, or general body wash wax and a brush. Polish after as it makes it look better, stops oxidisation, and helps dirt fall off easier next time!

I fusing any chemicals such as tfr or g101, do not allow to dry - start from the bottom, and work up when applying the fluid, and rinse bottom up - this avoids streaking. When it comes to the roof, makes sure the sides are kept wet and rinse the whole vehicle after.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
hi there,there is no real simple way of cleaning your motorhome or RV,we swear by Autoglym,they have a fantastic range of quality products:winky:my son josh usually takes care of most of our cleaning and polishing,he,s a great lad :thumb:eek:h and by the way you will need a very large tin of elbow grease:ROFLMAO: regards brian jo and josh:winky:

I have plenty of elbow grease dont worry about that, just a shortage of the motorhome cleaning brain cell.....:whatthe:

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi T
I did mine this week, got up on the roof did that first good swill off, then the sides I use Fenwicks Motor home cleaner on both this and my last van, I was told not to use washing up liquid by the dealers so I took there advise, I also use a good wax on the Fiat bit, I hope that's of some help to you other than that just give yourself plenty of time to do it. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
hi mate its a daunting task better starting at the top and work down
i have only done mine once 3hours and snow blindness. :cry:
so next time im wearing shades them white panels hurt your eyes after looking at them for a while.

ok got that, so i need men in black sunglasses...
and treat it like misses, start from top and work down...:Eeek:

seems ive been overworrying about it if some people have been using washing up liquid.. I have visions of the Aliens acid blood melting its way through motorhome if i didnt use right products....

-

Upvote 0

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
washed ours today,tried wash n wax,,,useless. wife got the cif cream, works wonders on the black streaks. took us about 2-3 hours in all,bloody knackered now and my arm is ready to drop off.:Angry: :thumb:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
washed ours today,tried wash n wax,,,useless. wife got the cif cream, works wonders on the black streaks. took us about 2-3 hours in all,bloody knackered now and my arm is ready to drop off.:Angry: :thumb:

what!!!!! CIF???? Are you mad?:Eeek:

Cif is an abrasive - takes away black streaks and you will lose quite a bit of value off your van! Dealers love CIF - saves them thousands when you trade in.

Kills gel coat, kills paint finish...you may as well use sandpaper. NEVER use these types of product.

When it dries, you van will have a matt finish, dirt will never come off as you have broken the paint/gel surface. You can have the van proffesionally machine polished to make it look a little better - but keep it polished as the van paint will deteriorate very quickly!

Rant over!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010

Think ill have to do motorhome in shifts, perhaps top one week, one side another week etc..or I could try child labour..hmm wonder if its safe to have 5 yr old grandson on top of motorhome wearing woolly socks dipped in cleaning fluid..... :thumb:

-

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cleaning is quite simple, the only thing you must be aware of is DO NOT USE THE BRUSH ON THE POLYCARBONATE (plastic) WIDOWS!!, they scratch so easily, hose them down first to remove any grit then sponge them using plenty of water.
I usually hose the whole van down first, then clean it using a proprietary car wash (apparently washing up liquid contains salt and is therefore corrosive), I then hose the suds off and then using a garden spray I spray the whole thing with Fenwicks 'Bobby Dazzler', 1 capful to 5 litres water, it's brilliant stuff the rinsing water just rolls off, then finally leather it all down.
true, it is corrosive....but not to plastic, paint and fiberglass. :RollEyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hi T
I did mine this week, got up on the roof did that first good swill off, then the sides I use Fenwicks Motor home cleaner on both this and my last van, I was told not to use washing up liquid by the dealers so I took there advise, I also use a good wax on the Fiat bit, I hope that's of some help to you other than that just give yourself plenty of time to do it. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Is the fenwicks stuff you used black streak remover, or is it another product they sell. I did notice on the back of the black streak remover they did mention something about diluting it down to 10% solution, but it did confuse me a bit...Think they meant for rest of motorhome.....:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010

thanks for the good tip re windows, I wouldnt have been aware of that..so it looks like id better get some Fenwicks Bobbly Dazzler...:thumb:

-

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Fixing screws, hingepins, trim mounting clips etc aren't plastic!! and are usually in positions that the water lodges

Upvote 0

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Remember too not to lean your ladder / steps against your m/h or you will end up with scratches unless they are very well padded :thumb::thumb:

We use all Auto Glym products now , they cover all the motorhome different needs, not cheap but we find them very good...we did try Mere(sp?) but that was murder to get off

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we use fenwicks mh cleaner works a treat if going up on roof just stay away from vents and stuff as roof will be weaker around them also if you have an overhead cab i dont think its advisable to go on there. As champers says dont lean ladder against mh we have an old pillow we tape to top of ladder so it doesnt dent it.

I have found in the past though it is easier to get the wife to clean it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Cleaning in stages, mmmm, clean roof one day then.....:Eeek:

Someone said make sure the sides are wetted down before roof cleaning, you'll only do it once. Cleaned Winne's roof and wandered off for an hour or so then came back to do the sides, black streaks, more like spray paint, that was the hardest cleaning ever as the little streaks were now huge and welded on:Doh:

Fewicks HM cleaner does work but takes any polish off which is supposidly were the Bobby Dazzler comes in, probably the application but Winne looked no better after the Bobby Bazzler than before.

We've been trying that one dry wash stuff, mainly because space is limited at home for washing so we can do bits when we're out and about and it seem reasonable. One day (if only) we'd like to get Winne proper clean and get a couple of coats of wax on but time and space, oh and beer, seem to prevent:Blush:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hi we use fenwicks mh cleaner works a treat if going up on roof just stay away from vents and stuff as roof will be weaker around them also if you have an overhead cab i dont think its advisable to go on there. As champers says dont lean ladder against mh we have an old pillow we tape to top of ladder so it doesnt dent it.

I have found in the past though it is easier to get the wife to clean it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As someone who takes a serious practical interest in "The Biggest Loser" there is no way im getting my lard a**e on top of the motorhome as i will probably go through roof, then carpet, floor, chasis, before hitting ground.. :cry:

and although I wouldnt say it to her face, im not chancing the misses being up there either.....:whatthe:

ladders at side of motorhome I can do though....not sure i will need the pillow, but if i get too tired ill go inside motorhome and sleep!!

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Gooney, we old Tonys should stick together...I've always believed in hosing down a widow first, you never know where they've been, and that's probably why I've never been scratched by one!

Remember a clean widow affords a delightful prospect! (F&S)

"DO NOT USE THE BRUSH ON THE WIDOWS!!, they scratch so easily, hose them down first"

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
cleaning the motorhome

I used Muc-off ok it cost £20 for 5ltrs. I did mine at the end of November black streaks, moss, dead leaves the whole nine yards.
Came up like a new pin, and last week I thought that has a few too many black streaks on it.
I washed it off with some car shampoo and a sponge no hard scrubbing all marks came off sooo easy.
I used less than a litre off the Muc-off when first cleaning so reckon that was a pretty good deal as our Motorhome is 24` :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am offering a valeting service for the cleaning of motorhomes. We are totally self sufficient and carry all our own water and generators to enable us to hotwash and polish any size motorhome on site or at your home. We have been valeting conservatories for the last 8 years and due to customer requests we are now taking on motorhomes and caravans
Costs are from £50.00
contact through our conservatory website www.fargil.co.uk

welcome fargil

please dont be offended if i point you to the page below (click the link)
please read it.

Link Removed

Upvote 0

Monty1083

Free Member
Jul 29, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a Newbie
A neighbour put me on to a product called Bees Knees Waterless Wash and Wax. You simply spray on, spread with a micro fibre cloth, allow to dry for a few seconds then polish off with a dry micro fibre cloth, (both cloths were supplied with the cleaner).
I was dubious at first but having seen him use it on his cars, I was sufficiently impressed to buy a bottle. I was even more impressed with the price; £5.99 for a 750ml bottle.
Having a bit of downtime over the weekend and Monty being a bit on the grubby side I thought I would give it a go.. I was amazed. In about half an hour I had done two sides and the front of the van - couldn't do the top as I didn't have a ladder!
You can, if you want to, rinse the van first. I didn't and no adverse effect.
Probably used about a third of the bottle if that. It even cleaned off the black streaks.
The only place I've been able to find it is a chain called Home Bargains. My local branch is in Cheltenham but if you go on line you can find out if there are any near you.
But, normal procedure is to start with the roof and work your way down and around the vehicle.... :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back