Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
After 7 months without TV I've decided to get an aerial fitted to my van as try as I might my Maxview satellite dish and I are never going to get on.
The question is which aerial is the best choice. Looking at the other vans here there's the usual UFO aerial, several people have ones that you'd see on a house and a few other have a flat looking design with metal rods poking out of the sides. I'm clueless so any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'm sick of listening to the radio like an old fart night after night - I need my fix of CSI :Doh:

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Can't answer your question as I was just about to place the same post myself!!

Now we can both look forward to the replies.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I assume you're after a terrestrial TV aerial as opposed to a satellite dish. In which case friends of mine use the Status (think it's the 420) and find them excellent and even use them at home.

Try google for Status TV aerials. They retail for less than £25.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Yes I've already got a roof mounted sat dish and can never get it set up so now I just want a basic aerial to tide me over

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
forget the 'flying saucer'. utter waste of roof space in my opinion.(others will say otherwise)

go for a....

status 540 (long mast for wardrobe fitting) more height above roof when in use.

status 530 (short mast for overhead locker fitting)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
After 7 months without TV I've decided to get an aerial fitted to my van as try as I might my Maxview satellite dish and I are never going to get on.
The question is which aerial is the best choice. Looking at the other vans here there's the usual UFO aerial, several people have ones that you'd see on a house and a few other have a flat looking design with metal rods poking out of the sides. I'm clueless so any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'm sick of listening to the radio like an old fart night after night - I need my fix of CSI :Doh:

As you have a Maxview I am assuming you are on digital satellite FTA.

We use a Camos Planer Plus, with a Zehnder ZX68 reciever, and have had good reception all over the UK, France and Spain as far down as Valencia. However, this also has to be tuned in when on site, a bit tricky the first couple of times, but it takes very little time now.

If you want a self seeking unit, and have the budget, look at the Camos 40cm dome.

If you are within travelling distance of Telford, you could talk to Dave Newell, his web site is www.davenewell.co.uk

I hope this helps, good luck.

Nomadic

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
As you have a Maxview I am assuming you are on digital satellite FTA.

We use a Camos Planer Plus, with a Zehnder ZX68 reciever, and have had good reception all over the UK, France and Spain as far down as Valencia. However, this also has to be tuned in when on site, a bit tricky the first couple of times, but it takes very little time now.

If you want a self seeking unit, and have the budget, look at the Camos 40cm dome.

If you are within travelling distance of Telford, you could talk to Dave Newell, his web site is www.davenewell.co.uk

I hope this helps, good luck.

Nomadic

Errr van came with the Maxview but no literature to go with so I'm clueless and lose patience with it. Have a TV with inbuilt freeview and also a Bush Freesat box which is redundant at the mo.
Funds certainly don't allow an automatic sat dish. At the moment I'll be lucky if I can stretch to £100 for an aerial - or maybe I should just pay someone to show how to work the stupid dish :ROFLMAO: I've had plenty of people reel off how to work it but not much good without seeing it in practise

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Forget the automatic satellite dish, nothing wrong if you can afford them but the manual dishes are just as quick to set up.

PJ. Think the 530/540 is now the 420. Correct me if I'm wrong.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
maybe I should just pay someone to show how to work the stupid dish :ROFLMAO:

Do you not meet any FUNsters up to it.

It's your best option and costs nothing since you've got the kit.

You are on the internet, you will find all the manuals somewhere.

Where are you now ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Forget the automatic satellite dish, nothing wrong if you can afford them but the manual dishes are just as quick to set up.

PJ. Think the 530/540 is now the 420. Correct me if I'm wrong.
unless i'm mistaken the 420 is an 'image' aerial and looks nowt like the status 530/540.:RollEyes:

Image 420

09-6300.jpg

Status 530/540

04-3005_5.jpg

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Do you not meet any FUNsters up to it.

It's your best option and costs nothing since you've got the kit.

You are on the internet, you will find all the manuals somewhere.

Where are you now ?

Currently in Wolvey, Leics but heading over towards Leamington Spa on Friday for a few weeks.
Not met any 'Funsters' that I know of and the only people I met who had sat dishes in Europe either had the automatic variety or weren't English and weren't helpful

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Currently in Wolvey, Leics but heading over towards Leamington Spa on Friday for a few weeks.
Not met any 'Funsters' that I know of and the only people I met who had sat dishes in Europe either had the automatic variety or weren't English and weren't helpful

If you can make it to Shrewsbury in the not to distant future, PM me and I will gladly show you how we set up the Maxview, we had one until recently.

Nomadic

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
unless i'm mistaken the 420 is an 'image' aerial and looks nowt like the status 530/540.:RollEyes:

Image 420

09-6300.jpg

Status 530/540

04-3005_5.jpg

Well you could be right, I just thought I read that the 420 was the replacement for it. However the Status is a pretty good aerial and I've seen them (my friends) try numerous household aerials with poor results which is why they use the Status at home as well.

MR2

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5+years
TV Aerial

I have both a Status 530 ( supplied from new) with a booster for the signal which works well throughout the UK and would go for that from scratch.

However I had a Camos 40cm fitted for use in Europe and really pleased with it.

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013

Image 420

09-6300.jpg

Status 530/540

04-3005_5.jpg

We had the 420 it was a waste of space, now have the 530 brilliant but most places that fit them tell you to have the narrowest part pointing towards the front of the MH when travelling WRONG widest part should be facing the front of the MH, just like if you was wearing a cycle helmet.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
If you can make it to Shrewsbury in the not to distant future, PM me and I will gladly show you how we set up the Maxview, we had one until recently.

Nomadic

Is that a show in Shrewsbury? Any help would be much appreciated. My problem seems to be getting the sat box to do anything (it keeps asking for a postcode and then repeatedly says no signal and goes back to asking for a postcode) :Angry: and then I get fed up with standing on a stool twiddling the dish and so I give up. Typical woman I guess - not at all gadget minded :ROFLMAO:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Ninjayorkies,

Shrewsbury does have a couple of shows each year, The West Mids Show, and the Flower Show are the main events, later in the year.

As you are going to Leamington Spa, you are quite close to Ash, he is based at Nuneaton, so have a chat with him, it will be quicker than travelling over to Shrewsbury.

The post code issue is one I have not encountered before, but I'm sure it can be resolved.

Nomadic

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
We're going to be all over the UK so sure to find someone who doesn't mind showing me how to operate it as a favour :winky:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Ninja
I had the stand alone tripod max view system, Sometimes a OK others I put it away in disgust:Doh::Doh:, (mostly at myself for failing to get a picture) I sold it on E.bay, then bought a £10.00 digital Ariel from Wilkinson which I mount on the telescopic brush stale off the brush I use to wash the van, it's good for the Ariel has it is movable in the middle for fine tuning, so far no problems with getting reception, but when we go to Spain we take a large sat dish as that's a different reception area, I hope this is of some use to you. Pete :thumb:

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Setting up a Sat Dish

Is that a show in Shrewsbury? Any help would be much appreciated. My problem seems to be getting the sat box to do anything (it keeps asking for a postcode and then repeatedly says no signal and goes back to asking for a postcode) :Angry: and then I get fed up with standing on a stool twiddling the dish and so I give up. Typical woman I guess - not at all gadget minded :ROFLMAO:

Assuming your Bush Freesat box works in a similar fashion to my Humax box what you are trying to do is to tune in freesat which assumes your dish is lined up with the satellite. First you need to line the dish with the bird so it has a signal.

To do this you need to select "manual tune" and somewhere on the screen you will see a couple of bars showing signal strength and quality, you then need to adjust the dish until you get the maximum values on these guages.
In the UK for Astra 2, the satellite constellation you need, the magnetic bearing tot he bird is approx. 146 and the dish elevation about 21 - 22 degrees.

I have the Maxview dish and a freesat box on my narrow boat and once you get the knack it takes less than a minute to get it set up; haven't bothered on the MH as it gets used almost exclusively in southern Spain where you need too big a dish to make it practicable.

You can also get a meter to help you line up the dish but you have to put it in the line between the dish and the sat box and then remove when you've got it lined; personally I find it too much of a bother.
This is a link to the thing on Screwfix

Link Removed

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to get back to me if you want any clarification.

Good Luck
Martin:thumb:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi Ninja
I had the stand alone tripod max view system, Sometimes a OK others I put it away in disgust:Doh::Doh:, (mostly at myself for failing to get a picture) I sold it on E.bay, then bought a £10.00 digital Ariel from Wilkinson which I mount on the telescopic brush stale off the brush I use to wash the van, it's good for the Ariel has it is movable in the middle for fine tuning, so far no problems with getting reception, but when we go to Spain we take a large sat dish as that's a different reception area, I hope this is of some use to you. Pete :thumb:

I'll have a look at that. Friends have a freestanding sat dish which they get on fine with but as I have this stupid thing fixed to my roof I'd like to give it a go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back