LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Even used cooking oil has gone up by 20p liter in the last 6 months.
I think its disgraceful,and nothing short of profiteering.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think the duty stabiliser will hold the fuel at 1.50 per litre:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
heard on the news yesterday, he's considering NOT adding the 1p duty increase in the budget.

well, that'll save me all of £3.15 next time i fill with 315 ltrs (£404) of petrol :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Well it is all down to Gordon Brown! Bless him, lost his rag with the russians two weeks or so before signing an oil deal because they refused to release that suspect assasin. Gordon deported every russian envoy he could find, and the deal was off!

We could have had a competetive suppliers market if that had gone ahead....

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Drove from norf to sarf wales today and most of the remote petrol sites normally load more wonga than supermarkets nearly matching their prices, maybe the supermarkets are milking the situation?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Drove from norf to sarf wales today and most of the remote petrol sites normally load more wonga than supermarkets nearly matching their prices, maybe the supermarkets are milking the situation?

I noted the same thing today! One garage that is always 10p a litre higher, was actually 0.1p higher - says it all really!

I have noticed a surge in LPG activists.....seems small coal merchants and others have started selling LPG really cheap. I found one near Hamburger Hill that is undercutting shell by 8p a litre! H e was saying that quite a few people have started up with views of taking on the big boys whilst the price is high.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Crude oil was at $1.47 per barrel in 2008, yet the pump prices weren't this high! We are being conned! Fleeced! and Robbed! Then the oil companies will announce record profits!
Something will have to break soon!

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Predicted in the Telegraph in 2008

1:23AM BST 22 May 2008
As oil prices reached an all-time high, experts forecast the cost of petrol could hit an average of £1.21 per litre within months.
Over the next two years it could even climb as high as £1.46, they said.
Petrol currently costs an average of £1.13 per litre following a month of almost daily price rises.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2004163/Financial-crisis-Price-of-petrol-to-stay-high-for-8-years.html

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Tax and Excise duty are the main culprits for high pump prices.
Obviuosly the cost per barrel has an influence, but consider:
In November 2010 the average price per litre of unleaded at the pump was 118.7p.
Fuel Duty was 58.19p and VAT was 17.68p.
Taxes reperesented 64% of the price paid by the consumer.
The real price before tax was only 42.7 pence per litre.
We all (rightly) have a go at fuel Company profits, but the main bandits are our own successive Governments of whatever colour.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Crude oil was at $1.47 per barrel in 2008, yet the pump prices weren't this high! We are being conned! Fleeced! and Robbed! Then the oil companies will announce record profits!
Something will have to break soon!

Craig

Don`t be blaming the Oil companies for this, excise duty on a gallon of fuel is 82% of the cost.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We all know that excise duty is high but what is the alternative? A rise in income tax? We have to face it that the income the Treasury needs (at whatever level that is and whichever party is in power) has to be found somewhere.

If it is not to be found by borrowing (which we all know is at too high a level already) it has to be raised from taxation, whether we like it or not. Whether that tax is raised from duty of fuel or in any other way matters not one jot. In the main, the same people are going to end up paying it anyway.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Don`t be blaming the Oil companies for this, excise duty on a gallon of fuel is 82% of the cost.

Yep. Governments to blame.

We all know that excise duty is high but what is the alternative? A rise in income tax? We have to face it that the income the Treasury needs (at whatever level that is and whichever party is in power) has to be found somewhere.

If it is not to be found by borrowing (which we all know is at too high a level already) it has to be raised from taxation, whether we like it or not. Whether that tax is raised from duty of fuel or in any other way matters not one jot. In the main, the same people are going to end up paying it anyway.

Yep.
Us.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In real terms crude oil is cheap .. it's costly and dangerous process to find, extract, refine and transport .. as said it's the duty that's responsible for high pump prices.

By contrast, a pint of beer, made from no more than water and fermented hops costs about £6 per liter !

while looking for comparisons I read this post on a consumer forum .. I haven't checked the prices quoted .. just copy / pasted ..

The price of petrol versus printer ink ............. !!

All these examples do NOT imply that petrol is cheap; it just illustrates how outrageous some prices are....

You will be really shocked by the last one!
(At least, I was...)

Compared with Petrol......

Think a gallon of petrol is expensive?

This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.
Diet Snapple 16 oz £1.29 .. £12.90 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz £1.19 ...........£11.90 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16 oz £1.25 ......... £12.50 per gallon
Brake Fluid 12 oz £3.15 ...... £42.00 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6 oz £8.35 ... £222.66 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz £3.85 . £154.00 per gallon
Tippex 7 oz £1.39 ........ . £31.77 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

Evian water 9 oz £1.49..£26.48 per gallon! £26.48 for WATER and the buyers don't even know the source
(Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)
You don't even want to compare it with perfume or after shave.
Ever wonder why printers are so cheap?

So they have you hooked for the ink.
Someone calculated the cost of the ink at.................
(you won't believe it....but it is true........)
£5,200 a gal... (five thousand two hundred pounds)

So, the next time you're at the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water, or Tippex, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!

Just a little humour to help ease the pain of your next trip to the petrol pump...
And - If you don't pass this along to at least one person, your exhaust will fall off!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Just been thinking about this taxation lark. A great many areas of tax income are unequal.
For instance, LPG does the same job in propelling a vehicle as does petrol, derv, etc.
It would be a fairer fuel tax system if some excise duty and VAT where removed from petrol / derv and added to LPG bringing the overall cost per litre in line with other fuels.
There is a further income base here, as all Propane / Butane for domestic, leisureb and industrial use would carry extra tax.
Due to increased taxes involved, Gaslow systems would use gas priced / taxed at the "normal" rate.

Much fairer than a tiered system, don't you think?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You might be onto something there John.

The British tourist industry could do with a boost so how about a levy on chunnel and ferry prices to encourage people to stay here to help the economy rather than spend money in France or Spain?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
There's mileage in that, Graham.
Especially when you consider the number of folk who use the tunnel for free via Tesco vouchers.
Surely a tax on the tunnel would benefit the economy?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'd forgotten about the Tesco vouchers. It could all be part oif the Big Society idea couldn't it. Instead of individuals receiving discounts it could all be accumulated and passed on as extra tax income to the Treasury.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
It could indeed, rather than benefit just Tesco shoppers.

Had another thought.
A section of the community (smokers and drinkers) have for years been propping up the rest. It's maybe time to penalise another section of society.
Given that pets are unneccessary, they should be classed as a luxury item.
If this were so, pet foods, accessories, etc. would attract VAT at the current 20% rate. Good recompense to society for dog crap all over the place.
Tax burden on tobacco and alcohol could then be eased, giving the majority payers a break.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

Sorry Graham, but a load of tosh.

What you forget is the people like me, I have to watch the pennies very very carefully at present like most I suppose. What does that mean? well let me tell you. Instead of driving the dog to a park for a walk, I wont I will walk from home. Instead of dropping the kids at Judo, driving back, and then returning to pick them up, I will wait with a book for a couple of hours. Instead of booking rallies accross the other side of the country, I wont, I will book close to home.
Result, I am spending less on fuel than ever as I am having to think long and hard about every journey.

Consequence, the Government is getting LESS money in revenue not more ad you advertise.

Buisness suffers, because profits fall, or Prices increase, meaning even higher inflation, the economy slows in a time that we can least afford it.

Get rid of the ridiculous taxation increase Halve it and increase use of the car resulting in the treasury keeping it's income.
Before the environmentalists jump on (surprised if we have one on a gas guzzling forum) India and China don't give a hoot about it and there economies are growing at an alarming rate compared to ours.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's amazing when you start thinking out of the box isn't it. Not just recompense for dog crap all over the place. It could help the NHS as well because there is a cost associated with treatment of allergies to dogs - and cats as well.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp

What you forget is the people like me, I have to watch the pennies very very carefully at present like most I suppose. What does that mean? well let me tell you. Instead of driving the dog to a park for a walk, I wont I will walk from home. Instead of dropping the kids at Judo, driving back, and then returning to pick them up, I will wait with a book for a couple of hours. Instead of booking rallies accross the other side of the country, I wont, I will book close to home.
Result, I am spending less on fuel than ever as I am having to think long and hard about every journey.

Consequence, the Government is getting LESS money in revenue not more ad you advertise.

Buisness suffers, because profits fall, or Prices increase, meaning even higher inflation, the economy slows in a time that we can least afford it.

Get rid of the ridiculous taxation increase Halve it and increase use of the car resulting in the treasury keeping it's income.
Before the environmentalists jump on (surprised if we have one on a gas guzzling forum) India and China don't give a hoot about it and there economies are growing at an alarming rate compared to ours.

Well said Mr Haggers:winky:

I cant possibly book long in advance for meets anymore, hence thus far this year nought booked sadly, situation does not seem to improve as looking at sick dog this morning and £100 excess on his insurance policy so only visit when in dire straits.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Yeah, isnt dog crap associated with blindness in kids or something?
all dogs should be licensed, the cost of that to reflect posession of an unneccessary (luxury) item.
Licensing could reflect the size of the dog, eg. The bigger the dog, the larger the licence fee.
Not unreasonable?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Yeah, isnt dog crap associated with blindness in kids or something?
all dogs should be licensed, the cost of that to reflect posession of an unneccessary (luxury) item.
Licensing could reflect the size of the dog, eg. The bigger the dog, the larger the licence fee.
Not unreasonable?

My dogs all I have and a lot nicers than many kids and adults.:winky:

Bigger the better i say:winky::thumb:

Oil prices reflect in every items costings.

I pay VAT on his food (luxury item) and every other thing he enjoys except air.

2 operations in last 3 years £8000 including VAT, nice little earner keeping the economy going.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

(snip)

You're not the only one Paul, we've been doing similar things for a couple of years. I've never gone to the extremes of some people I know, like using the car instead of walking half a mile to the shops, but we certainly plan car use more than we did at one time.

There are advantages to the country of less car use though. Less wear & tear on the roads for instance.

We really have to look at taxation in the round rather than individual bits and pieces though - that's why John's suggestions re LPG and pets (plus my own bit re the chunnel) are so interesting.

Jaygee32

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1976
The government should add a bit more tax to the fuel price, then scrap the road tax. Surely this would be a fairer system as those the use the roads the most would pay the most? This would encourage people to walk or cycle more to save money. Motorhomers usual have a car as well so when we're out with the van the car at home is not having any tax on it and vice versa.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back