alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just done a quote for ferry trip to Santandare from Portsmouth surely this cant be right ,two people and Motor-home £986.00 return in June ?? :Doh::Doh:

Alan

trogg

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Notts/Derbys boarder
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
30 years off / on
look up;

Ld lines portsmouth to Le Harve, over land to St Nazaire (4hour drive) ferry to Gijar ....bit cheaper:thumb: the trogg
Just done a quote for ferry trip to Santandare from Portsmouth surely this cant be right ,two people and Motor-home £986.00 return in June ?? :Doh::Doh:

Alan

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Ferry Prices

Hi, cost me over £400 one way in October. When you take into account about £250 just for return tolls and goodness knows how much fuel, its probably about right. I think Hildweller looked into it and decided that the ferry worked out cheaper!

S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi the price sounds about right we've used this way couple if times now, and its great.

its a nice way to wind down for the start of your trip. when you weigh up tolls fuel etc

there a bit of difference but it saves loads of time if your only away for 2 or 3 weeks.

mark.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thats around the price that we paid. June worked out the mileage and petrol costs from Calais and the ferry was cheaper. This year were going via Calais but thats only because were taking the dog and we have a lot more time to wander around.

Jim
:Smile:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Sounds about right. We're going down Feb 23-Mar 28 and it's £604 for 6.2m m/h and reclining seats on the boat.
Sadly, there seem to be no options for discounts or cost savings and no competition but even at this 'off peak' cost it's probably cheaper than a trek through France.
We'll save France for the Spring weather and then wander around France Passion sites etc.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, cost me over £400 one way in October. When you take into account about £250 just for return tolls and goodness knows how much fuel, its probably about right. I think Hildweller looked into it and decided that the ferry worked out cheaper!

S

Gent's, I'm of the view it's much cheaper crossing to Calais and driving down and back. Using Auto Route and calculating Fuel costs at £1.30 per litre and averaging 28 MPG motorways and 20 MPG towns the total fuel cost to Santander, one way is £167.00. Total driving time estimated at 12 Hours 40 Minutes. so I guess a day and a half if you go at a steady pace.

If costs are a priority, i believe this is the most cost effective option.

Hope this is useful

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Shock

To be truthful these prices have shocked me ,especially when I flew to the same place with my Brother from Stanstead last year for £56.00 return each pre booked only 5 days in advance with Ryan air. We hired a hire car for about ten days and an apartment for just over £500 total between us .
A big difference but I suppose this is a sign of the times.

Alan

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ok not the ferry..but the train

Ok, not June but over Easter on the train... My RV plus trailer and the dog... Booked with C&CC discount £330.00.... Booked it November.. Early evening out mid afternoon back. Even with fuel it is cheaper for the size of my rig which with the trailer is 30' .... No rough seas, easy load etc.,

Bob:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ok, not June but over Easter on the train... My RV plus trailer and the dog... Booked with C&CC discount £330.00.... Booked it November.. Early evening out mid afternoon back. Even with fuel it is cheaper for the size of my rig which with the trailer is 30' .... No rough seas, easy load etc.,

Can you expand on this a bit, m/h goes on frieght open sided? , you go as passangers, in a sleeper?

is this correct

hows the loading/unloading

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Just decided to book Portsmouth Santander out Feb 16 return end May. Single £344 Return £777 Caravan club. Burstner Solano 7M long 3M High

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
so two singles are cheaper than a return??? doesnt make sense as you dont have to book a time for return

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Single quoted was for portsmouth santander

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We use the channel tunnel

Can you expand on this a bit, m/h goes on frieght open sided? , you go as passangers, in a sleeper?

is this correct

hows the loading/unloading

We use the channel tunnel .. Just south of Asford on M 20 and 35 minutes later we arrive near Calais.. Easy loading, the board motor homes same as coaches.. ..will not take lpg converted vehicles ..they do check that the gas for cooking etc., is turned off (still lpg)... I just pull the wing mirrors in as I drive down the inside of the coaches.... Use the train because of Ezzie the St Bernard .. She remains with us in the RV.. We just sit and watch a DVD or lazy in the RV untill we arrive in France.. Simple, been doing it for years. Also good pet passport facilities in France andthe car park area is big enough for an RV with trailer.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Gent's, I'm of the view it's much cheaper crossing to Calais and driving down and back. Using Auto Route and calculating Fuel costs at £1.30 per litre and averaging 28 MPG motorways and 20 MPG towns the total fuel cost to Santander, one way is £167.00. Total driving time estimated at 12 Hours 40 Minutes. so I guess a day and a half if you go at a steady pace.

If costs are a priority, i believe this is the most cost effective option.

Hope this is useful

With that mileage its fine but when its 12mpg the story changes a tad. Have you made this calculation on driving via the auto routes or by avoiding them. The toll charges are an arm and a leg before you even think about petrol. If you avoid the auto routes it would be difficult to do it in 12 hours.
Jim

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
With that mileage its fine but when its 12mpg the story changes a tad. Have you made this calculation on driving via the auto routes or by avoiding them. The toll charges are an arm and a leg before you even think about petrol. If you avoid the auto routes it would be difficult to do it in 12 hours.
Jim

Jim,
Point taken, I've looked at the details again and Toll roads are included but not mentioned in the summary.

However, Toll roads can be easily avoided and yes, the journey time will be extended a little but the saving that can be made far outweigh the costs I'm seeing for a ferry journey to Santander. Clearly, if you are averaging 12mpg that will have a big impact on costs and the final choice made.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We manage 15 mpg

We manage 15 mpg on our RV.. Being only 23'9" ..30' with the trailer.. But still under 5.5 tons.. We avoid most tolls without to any problems.. Skip on and off motorways as needed. But the deciding factor for us is the dog.

We have done Spain a few times but these days tend to do the South of France.. . We go through the night changing drivers with one overnight stop at a site South of Clemont Ferrand before we head up over the Mountains ... On the way back we use the same site then head up to Amiens area as we have to visit the vets on the way back.. Last stop near Amiens or Calais.. A day light drive on the return.... Works for us.. But it is the dog that is what decides the route.. Cost wise nothing in it as far as we are concerned. We have used the Harwich to Hook van Holland route with out the dog.. Overnight.. OK, but again not a lot cheaper than the channel tunnel.

I find i can set the cruise control and keep to about 55 mph at have the V10 pur at 1850 rpm.

Bob:Eeek:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back