LPG in Spain for those long stayers (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We are currently in Spain on a 5 month trip. We have a bulk tank on our motorhome. The nearest place to fill is Murcia Repsol but this depot has a sliding gate that looks to be below 3m in height. I am going to check it out.

Went from this site to Alicanti Repsol depot. Great access 2 pumps one using the new euro adaptor and the other using the UK/Spanish one.

This trip was 268K return and tolls of 13.20€ Making the gas refill quite expensive.

Today I went out to get a bottle. There is apparently a law in Spain now that prevents dealers selling/Hiring out a bottle. You have to have your full motorhome installation inspected and approved by a company engineer at a cost of 160 to 200€ before they will supply a bottle. I tried both Repsol and Cespa as well as a caravan dealer, who gave me the information. Garages simply said not possible but offered no explanation.

It would seem that the only way to get a bottle now is on the black market or at a car boot sale in Spain.

John

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Spanish seem to put so much in the way for MH tourists it's a wonder we bother.

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi John. You're right. Not a lot of choice when it comes to LPG filling stations in Spain.

This link shows where they are:

Link Removed

We visited the Murcia one in early December and found no problem with access. Our motorhome is only just under 3m height but I don't remember a 3m height barrier.

The fella there seemed well used to motorhomes. Didn't bat an eyelid. None of the "bomba, bomba" cries-of-anguish we've had from some Italian filling stations.

He took one look at our filling cap and rummaged through his bag of tricks to produce the exact adaptor before filling our tank. All very efficient, we thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
We have just arrived in Spain and 'bought' two bottles one butane one propane.

The Butane is for our Butsir portable mini gas fire that we purchased at a local Ferretería at €40.

Propane is to use in our Extend a Stay attachment.

Both bottles are Cepsa supplied at a local garden centre.

You will need your passport and the address of your camp site, deposit on each bottle is €30

Hope this helps? :thumb:

Mick

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
J&J
Ask about and find the largest market around, turn up and pay €6 for an empty Repsol propane bootle, go to garage exchange for a full one.
Regulator plus hose, €9 from any hardware store. "T" piece and you're off.
JK
p.s. and before some people on here jump up and down about doing a "proper" job and having the whole thing "welded in" and using stainless pipes, not using jubilee clips etc. bollocks, The Spanish having been doing it this way for years and so have I for 2 of them.

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that Olley (and for the google map of LPG locations - have bookmarked that one).

Yup, that's definitely where we filled up but the missus and I don't remember that barrier. Our Rapido is 2.75m high and I'm sure I would have been really anxious and been out of the cab checking and double checking clearance.

Either that height barrier has been removed since google took the pics, or it's way higher than it looks, or it's been put up and (google-cammed) since we were there in early Decmember. :Confused:

Last edited:
OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have just arrived in Spain and 'bought' two bottles one butane one propane.

The Butane is for our Butsir portable mini gas fire that we purchased at a local Ferretería at €40.

Propane is to use in our Extend a Stay attachment.

Both bottles are Cepsa supplied at a local garden centre.

You will need your passport and the address of your camp site, deposit on each bottle is €30

Hope this helps? :thumb:

Mick

We tried all the Garages and Caravan Dealer around Cartegena. We got the same reply at all of them "No Possible". The guy in the caravan dealers spoke English and said it was now against the law to hire a bottle out without a full inspection certifcate. He gave is a number to ring to arrange one for our motorhome. We were also told you needed a Spanish Residency document.

We got two bottles from a secondhand shop @ 20€ each.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thanks for that Olley (and for the google map of LPG locations - have bookmarked that one).

Yup, that's definitely where we filled up but the missus and I don't remember that barrier. Our Rapido is 2.75m high and I'm sure I would have been really anxious and been out of the cab checking and double checking clearance.

Either that height barrier has been removed since google took the pics, or it's way higher than it looks, or it's been put up and (google-cammed) since we were there in early Decmember. :Confused:

Hi Goose

We were bothered about the height barrier and went ourselves to check it out on 6th January. I estimate it is over 3m high probably 3.5m The trucks get throught it OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back