Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hi guys,

We are going to head to Morrocco sometime in the next few weeks & were wondering about food over there. Is it a good idea to stock up on tinned & packaged food before we go. Both Hubby & I enjoy morroccon & arabic style food but just a bit worried we may get a little tired of it after a couple of weeks. We're not quite sure what sort of meat is available there & if we are allowed to take a few bottles of wine with us.

Thanks Ann

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a bit worried we may get a little tired of it after a couple of weeks. We're not quite sure what sort of meat is available there & if we are allowed to take a few bottles of wine with us.

Thanks Ann

You would not believe some meat in the souks. Whole animals hung up in the open air crawling with flies. So best left to the locals. Better if you stock up in the supermarkets and get your beer and wine there too. There is a huge French influence there, you'll not starve.

We were taken to one "different" eating place for lunch. Hotel in middle of nowhere. One side of the site was the butcher, you bought lovely meat as you fancied, we had a mince full of herbs and spices, minced before our eyes. They we take this to the hotel and they cook it. Very good too.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry havent been, but many on the forum have and someone will advise you.

lamb would be high on the list of available meat though. :roflmto:

i would think some basic 'english' tinned supplies might be a good idea but i dont think its quite as '3rd world' as some folks think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
You would not believe some meat in the souks. Whole animals hung up in the open air crawling with flies. So best left to the locals. QUOTE]

I ditto the above.

We went with a full fridge, freezer load of food, we had tins, packets etc under the bed, all cupboards well stocked and we were very glad we had.

Geo liked the bread but I wasn't very keen on it. The very fact that if you buy their bread you need to be buying it as it comes straight out of the oven. We went to one place and they were just picking it up off the floor after it had fell out of the oven. Then they placed it on the shelf for people to buy and you were fighting the flies to get it too.

Drink was something else too - unfortunately we went when it was Ramadam so you couldn't buy it anywhere (well you could but you had to pay an immence amount of money for it). It wouldn't hurt to take a selection of your favourite drink anyway.

We absolutely loved Morocco and we hope to go back some day when we've retired; but again I will take loads of food with us.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
morroco is stunning, marrakesh is every thing you expect and more.
only one thing wife didnt go much on was our first Tagine.

Took the lid off, to what looked like a veggy version, only to find
a lambs head init:Eeek::Eeek: got to say after the first shook it tasted
gorgeous, even better after seeing barbs look of horror:ROFLMAO:

But we never tired of thier food, same as here just be senciable,
the night time is the only time to go out eating in marrakesh pure
foody theatre.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi plenty of good meat in morocco i asked the guy to give me his knife and i cut the piece i wanted myself (i am a butcher:BigGrin)

Attachments

• mekenes souk 097.jpg
    mekenes souk 097.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 34
  • f 103.jpg
    f 103.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 38
  • f 107.jpg
    f 107.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 34
  • f 105.jpg
    f 105.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0

bambi 2

Free Member
Jun 7, 2009
france, (Aveyron)
Funster No
MH
A class.
Exp
26 years
We are in morocco now, having been before and learnt my lessons, I only brought 2 tinned meals with me and they are still tucked away under the seat, there's not much you cannot get here, you can even get pork at a certain butchers in Agadir, the large supermarkets here are Margane they even sell booze, but it's cheaper to bring your own, the fish is good and cheap and the veg is so fresh and lovely plus very cheap, (cherry tomatoes about 4 pence a kilo) lovely new potatoes and beans and peas, but best to bring some cash to change to dirhams Barclays charged us £10.75 to use the hole in the wall here for £300 worth of dirhams :Angry: it's lovely here though so glad we came :Smile: bambi 2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
You would not believe some meat in the souks. Whole animals hung up in the open air crawling with flies. So best left to the locals. Better if you stock up in the supermarkets and get your beer and wine there too. There is a huge French influence there, you'll not starve.

We were taken to one "different" eating place for lunch. Hotel in middle of nowhere. One side of the site was the butcher, you bought lovely meat as you fancied, we had a mince full of herbs and spices, minced before our eyes. They we take this to the hotel and they cook it. Very good too.

The meat in the markets in Tangier were spotlessly clean & not an ounce of blood or a fly to be seen.

However, I didn't see what you might call a supermarket at all.

You are permitted to import duty free alc bought in Spain. Its not a dry country & has bars but they are very discrete.

Cheers

Billkce

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Morocco is an amazing place and we will go back some time, but I would defiantly take as much food as you can, in some of the markets the meat has flies all over it and no matter how much you may want to go native its hard to fancy it. Half the fun though is improvising and buying food in the markets that you do want and putting it with your own.
Not to be missed the huge food market in the square at Marrakesh in the evening very very good.
Be aware when traveling to have small change as when you stop in a town a guardian will come up to you to look after your motorhome, it is always advisable to pay and let them that way your van is always safe. We did venture into a large rural market on the Rose trail, that was a bit eerrrrrr different. Don't forget to take plenty of Stilo's (Biro's) with you if you dont you will wish you had.
We also took a lot of our grandchildrens clothes and is some of the places we stopped they made a lot of difference.
The one word that comes to mind when you are travelling the High Atlas or Erg Chebie is biblical, so very different.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back