Why research before buying cannot be emphasised enough (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Passing an odd hour trawling the net and checking on who has my current motorhome model for sale I was somewhat suprised to come across these two examples!!

The first at Discover is new and as its a 2010 model I'd expected it to be discounted not so?

Link Removed

Then onto the infamous dealer Brownhills and this used example,

Link Removed

Only £522 lower for an almost year old example, so less warranty and all the rest. No wonder they have such a reputation!:thumbdown:

A shining example of why you need to research before committing! :Eeek:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think it is possible that if you were actually buying that motorhome it would be worth getting in touch with both dealers and seeing what the best deal is and what the vans are like when you see them. In the past 9 months Brownhills have been making big efforts to improve their image, and having dealt with them in that period can tell you they have a lot more satisfied customers now, and a Sales staff and warehouse personal who listen, maybe you have had a different experience in the past 9 months I don't know.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I was led to believe that during the first year of buying new you could expect to lose the VAT you paid on the vehicle( a not insignificant amount) however the 2 examples you show are 6 months apart, very low mileage and expensive extras on the 2nd hand model (I think) AC, and awning. If these are extras I dont think the pricing is too far apart considering you may have to wait a long time for delivery on a new model.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
In all fairness to Discover, the van could well have only been delivered in November, so why should it be discounted, once sold it will be registered on a 2011 plate and that is what it will be valued at throughout its life

Peter

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
In all fairness to Discover, the van could well have only been delivered in November, so why should it be discounted, once sold it will be registered on a 2011 plate and that is what it will be valued at throughout its life

Peter

Hi Peter

This is something I have been discussing with hubby tonight. You may be able to help, we have been looking at a motorhome which isn't registered yet so if we go and buy it in the next couple of weeks say, will it have an '11' plate on it? And will we not be able to collect it till the 1st March?

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Dealers advertised prices are not what you are going to pay, plus brownhills could offer you an extra £1500 for your part ex, it has to be somewhere to give more for a PX or a discount.

All the best Rick.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I was led to believe that during the first year of buying new you could expect to lose the VAT you paid on the vehicle( a not insignificant amount) however the 2 examples you show are 6 months apart, very low mileage and expensive extras on the 2nd hand model (I think) AC, and awning. If these are extras I dont think the pricing is too far apart considering you may have to wait a long time for delivery on a new model.

There is a cost to cab a/c, and its essential for continental touring in the summer IMHO. Much more important is the vehicle actually has it, we did not pick one make/model at time of purchase because we could not get a unit with a/c until the 2011 models were due and we did not want to wait.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
In fairness to Peter, Johns Cross spent, literally way over an hour talking us through the various options before we bought out first modern MH.

We were already satisfied camping customers, and made it quite clear we were not ready to buy when we sought advice.

In the end, some months later we bought an identical MH to the one we'd decided was the best choice for us, but privately, and we're very happy with it.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

Hi Gooney awning, cab ac and media system are part of the SE pack this is fitted to both vehicles. Most dealers would order the SE pack as its tremendous value for £999 and makes them more saleable. In the 18 months we spent looking didn't come across one without this option fitted.

My comment re the Discover vehicle not being discounted, aside from its year is that the new model tracker was launched in November which has an awful lot more mods and improvements to the outgoing, longer, wider. differant body-shell, cab ac as standard, larger flip down tv etc. So I'd of thought it should be discounted as many dealers are doing on 2010 stock.

I appreciate you would haggle and or be offered a discount, we bought our Tracker new last year registering it on Sept 1st and after haggling paid an awful lot less than either of the 2 examples I highlighted.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I think it is possible that if you were actually buying that motorhome it would be worth getting in touch with both dealers and seeing what the best deal is and what the vans are like when you see them. In the past 9 months Brownhills have been making big efforts to improve their image, and having dealt with them in that period can tell you they have a lot more satisfied customers now, and a Sales staff and warehouse personal who listen, maybe you have had a different experience in the past 9 months I don't know.

Hi Carol the purpose of my post was to highlight just how important it is to check around before purchase, I was not singling out Brownhills unfortunately they have tarnished their own reputation over the years. I am pleased to hear they are trying to make amends they really needed to, the more caring and reputable dealers we have out there the better for all. :thumb:

Stewart

( And yes I did have a very poor experience with their sales staff last year and took our business elsewhere.)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Brodie

Just sign an order form, pay a deposit and take delivery on March 1st when the new plate will be available if you want the 11 plate, otherwise just buy it as it will be registered as 2011 any way even on a 10 plate

Imprint,

Glad you found a van that suits you, enjoy.

Peter

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We bought our last MH, a 2006, 2000 mile Elddis Autocirrus for 27K off one dealer in June 2007.
We traded it in on May 2010 for our present MH at another dealer with 13000 miles on the clock.. We received 25K on paper, it went on the forecourt for 32K and sold within 2 months!
Go figure!
We got the deal of the century but the new Autocirrus owner probably isn't so lucky!

Research is everything!!!!!

Last edited:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi Brodie

Just sign an order form, pay a deposit and take delivery on March 1st when the new plate will be available if you want the 11 plate, otherwise just buy it as it will be registered as 2011 any way even on a 10 plate

Imprint,

Glad you found a van that suits you, enjoy.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter that has helped alot. We are thinking of going for the Carioca 707 that Addie pointed out to me the other day! We decided that if we do need to sell for whatever reason then the Chausson could well be aimed at a niche market as again was pointed out - something that we had never even thought about to be honest. Just got to get the all important funds sorted now.

Thanks again :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back