Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
tent's, caravaning ,then 11 years motorhoming
Hi. can anyone one give me advice on camp site's around Long Mynd area. i'm interested in hiking/walking in that area, any info would be welcome, thank's.

graham.:thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi. can anyone one give me advice on camp site's around Long Mynd area. i'm interested in hiking/walking in that area, any info would be welcome, thank's.

Hi Graham,

If you have CC membership, there are a few CL sites around Church Stretton, if not, then this may be worth further investigation:

Small Batch Caravan & Camping
Small Batch
Little Stretton
Shropshire
SY6 6PW

01694 723358

www.smallbatch-camping.webeden.co.uk/

I hope this is helpfull:thumb:

Nomadic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hi Graham

Do you belong to CC or C&CC? There are lots of CL/CS's around Shropshire.

There is a rally site at Spring Bank Farm, Church Stretton SY6 6EX which both clubs seem to use quite often.

There is also a CC site at Presthope, near Much Wenlock.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Don't say I told you, but on the top of the Long-Mynd there is a gliding club, Now if you go up there and pay for a joy ride they may let you stay for a night or two.

It could work out cheaper that a camp site!!

Doug...

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Graham,

If you have CC membership, there are a few CL sites around Church Stretton, if not, then this may be worth further investigation:

Small Batch Caravan & Camping
Small Batch
Little Stretton
Shropshire
SY6 6PW

01694 723358

Link Removed

I hope this is helpfull:thumb:

Nomadic

hi. Normadic. thank's for your suggestion's i will take a look ,i only know church stretton when visiting the mill on a day's outing last year.

Graham.:thumb:

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Graham

Do you belong to CC or C&CC? There are lots of CL/CS's around Shropshire.

There is a rally site at Spring Bank Farm, Church Stretton SY6 6EX which both clubs seem to use quite often.

There is also a CC site at Presthope, near Much Wenlock.

Hi. Janine. thank you for your reply, i have only been to the NT mill near church stretton i think that's where we went, I was taken there last xmas time for the day, Which was a disaster due to no winter gear /boot's etc needless to say my daughter and son-in-law was not in my good book's that day, :Angry: ie three feet of snow and i could not stand up coming back down to the mill due to the condition's, i was on my backside more then standing, :ROFLMAO: So i would like to revisit with the camper shortly for a few day's.

Graham., :thumb:

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Don't say I told you, but on the top of the Long-Mynd there is a gliding club, Now if you go up there and pay for a joy ride they may let you stay for a night or two.

It could work out cheaper that a camp site!!

Doug...

Doug, Thank's for the info, but not sure about the joy ride to be honest, :thumb:

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have stayed twice at Spring Bank Rally Field - it is a C&CC CS. Simple field with water and disposal points. The owner (Mrs Madeley) lives in Church Stretton, not on the site. Easy walking distance of the town centre, and close to the road up past the NT area onto the Long Myndd. Site entrance is next to the school.
Link Removed

We have looked at Small Batch whilst out walking. It looks very pleasant and is a bit more expensive than Spring Bank. Not sure if it is open at this time of year. As I remember it, you have to drive through a small ford to get onto the site. It looked a bit tight for big motorhomes / RVs.

Philip

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We have stayed twice at Spring Bank Rally Field - it is a C&CC CS. Simple field with water and disposal points. The owner (Mrs Madeley) lives in Church Stretton, not on the site. Easy walking distance of the town centre, and close to the road up past the NT area onto the Long Myndd. Site entrance is next to the school.
Link Removed

We have looked at Small Batch whilst out walking. It looks very pleasant and is a bit more expensive than Spring Bank. Not sure if it is open at this time of year. As I remember it, you have to drive through a small ford to get onto the site. It looked a bit tight for big motorhomes / RVs.

Philip

Hi, Philip. Thank's for the info, i would like to find a site very close to the NT area, so i can leave the motorhome on site, I will check it out,

Graham. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If you type in Long Mynd Campsite using Yahoo as a search engine, you can get to the "Church Stretton Area" Website, on which there are a few shown.

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If you type in Long Mynd Campsite using Yahoo as a search engine, you can get to the "Church Stretton Area" Website, on which there are a few shown.

Hi, Jenny Thank's for the info, :thumb: i was hoping someone has been to a site which they would recommend near the NT area at "church Stretton" .

Graham.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Hello Graham. Have a look at Botvyle Farm (link Link Removed). It's between the Long Mynd and the Stretton Hills, ideal for both places and a lovely spot. (I used to live next door!).

You could try Small Batch but the facilities are limited. If you don't mind sites with minimal services you could try Brow Farm at Ratlinghope, right on the side of the Mynd, or a bit further up the lane towards Darnford is another farm with a field that has vans and tents.

If you don't mind a bit of wild camping, depending how long you want to stay, I'd suggest that the carpark at Pole Cottage, right up on the top of the hill would be OK for an overnight, or there's a spot on the road down from the top towards Ratlinghope which would also be ok for that.

There's also at least one site in Wentnor, on the west side of the hil. My Google map is playing up so I can't give you a reference at the mo, but I'll have another look tomorrow if I can and post a bit more info.

I can probably help a bit more if you let me know what sort of facilities you want - I live on the Stiperstones, the next ridge over from the Mynd, so can probably point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Trevor

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hello Graham. Have a look at Botvyle Farm (link Link Removed). It's between the Long Mynd and the Stretton Hills, ideal for both places and a lovely spot. (I used to live next door!).

You could try Small Batch but the facilities are limited. If you don't mind sites with minimal services you could try Brow Farm at Ratlinghope, right on the side of the Mynd, or a bit further up the lane towards Darnford is another farm with a field that has vans and tents.

If you don't mind a bit of wild camping, depending how long you want to stay, I'd suggest that the carpark at Pole Cottage, right up on the top of the hill would be OK for an overnight, or there's a spot on the road down from the top towards Ratlinghope which would also be ok for that.

There's also at least one site in Wentnor, on the west side of the hil. My Google map is playing up so I can't give you a reference at the mo, but I'll have another look tomorrow if I can and post a bit more info.

I can probably help a bit more if you let me know what sort of facilities you want - I live on the Stiperstones, the next ridge over from the Mynd, so can probably point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Trevor

Hi Trevor, i'm really spoilt for choice here, :thumb: idealy i would like to be within walking distance of carding mill from a campsite so i dont have to use the motorhome and leave it unattended in a car park, i will certainly have a look at your suggestion's.

Graham.:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Long Mynd area. i'm interested in hiking/walking in that area, any info would be welcome, thank's.

I've been up a few times to the gliding club, but the most amazing time is at night. There is no light pollution. I was half a mile from the club, stopped and got out of the car. It was black as coal and then I heard "them" all around me. Don't know what they were but they were moving. Looking up I got the best star view I've ever had in the UK. Then I wondered if "they" were hungry and got back in the car.

The two roads are not for the feint hearted, go up on a bike and your heart is in your mouth all the way.

I'd be tempted to wild camp up there but getting a MH up the road is off-putting.

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I've been up a few times to the gliding club, but the most amazing time is at night. There is no light pollution. I was half a mile from the club, stopped and got out of the car. It was black as coal and then I heard "them" all around me. Don't know what they were but they were moving. Looking up I got the best star view I've ever had in the UK. Then I wondered if "they" were hungry and got back in the car.

The two roads are not for the feint hearted, go up on a bike and your heart is in your mouth all the way.

I'd be tempted to wild camp up there but getting a MH up the road is off-putting.

Hi Brian , Your not trying to scare me with one of your story's about "them " U f O 's are you, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

I have towed quite a few Gliders up there Brian, the road from Streton is the steepest but the road from the other side is better but has a U bend in it but is the one of choice with a 7 meter glider trailer on the back.

You can see the "Y" junction bend on a google sat view.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...45695,-2.850335&spn=0.00182,0.004823&t=h&z=18

Doug...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have towed quite a few Gliders up there Brian, Doug...

Respect. The thought of meeting anything coming down, especially a glider does not bare thinking about.

There's a mass of land up there I wonder if you could get away with wild camping a night or two.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Respect. The thought of meeting anything coming down, especially a glider does not bare thinking about.

There's a mass of land up there I wonder if you could get away with wild camping a night or two.

Its got to be 20 years since I was last at the Mynd, so I don't know what the club's policy is now.

However there are quite a lot of off road parking places around the top roads I feel sure a night or 2 would not be noticed, if it were me and I wanted to, I would give it a try.

Level ground might be difficult to find though

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not been there for years, but if I remember correctly the road off the Long Mynd down to the airfield would be a laugh to do in a motorhome, used to be fun in a landrover especially when you met oncoming vehicles :Eeek: If its anything like it used to be 20 years ago there are hundreds of quiet wild camping spots between Church Stretton and Ludlow, any turning off the A49 leads to somewhere pretty and secluded. We used to stop for a night in the Stokesay Castle car park quite regularly (A fortified manor House open to the public) often after a few beers in the Stokesay Castle pub a short distance away. The carpark still looks very accessible MAP

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
There are a few decent spots on the top for wild camping. Probably the best is the carpark near to the trig point at Pole Cottage. There are also a few flattish spots on the road down to Ratlinghope (I think the junction is the turn that was referred to in an earlier post), and at the point marked as Shooting Box on the OS map.

The road up from Stretton is the best option although it's a bit scary (I had to reverse down a few weeks ago, in the snow). The passing places are probably big enough for a M/H to get out of the way. My partner was a paramedic and had a few occasions to go up to the glider field with blues and twos on, and I wouldn't have wanted to get in the way of that!

As Jim says, there are loads of opportunities for wild camping all around the area, within, say, five miles of the Long Mynd - particularly to the West, in the Onny Valley, or best of all in my opinion on The Stiperstones.

There was a bit of publicity a few years ago Brian, about the Stretton 'hum' (which is a noise, not a smell!). Lots of people could hear it but noone ever came up with an explanation of what it was. And there's a great piece by Jim Perrin the walking and climbing writer, about walking in the mist on the western side of the Mynd and an encounter with an odd couple - I won't spoil it in case anybody's interested in reading it for themselves - PM me for a link.

And if anybody is thinking of coming, PM me, its lonely in them thar hills (cue 'Duelling Banjos')!

Trevor :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There was a bit of publicity a few years ago Brian, about the Stretton 'hum' (which is a noise, not a smell!). Lots of people could hear it but noone ever came up with an explanation of what it was.Trevor :thumb:

That rings a bell, not connected with the Mynd, but people hearing hums that could not be explained. I'm probably going back 20 years in the old Wireless World magazine.

There is so much we don't know !

OP
OP
kontiki48

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
There are a few decent spots on the top for wild camping. Probably the best is the carpark near to the trig point at Pole Cottage. There are also a few flattish spots on the road down to Ratlinghope (I think the junction is the turn that was referred to in an earlier post), and at the point marked as Shooting Box on the OS map.

The road up from Stretton is the best option although it's a bit scary (I had to reverse down a few weeks ago, in the snow). The passing places are probably big enough for a M/H to get out of the way. My partner was a paramedic and had a few occasions to go up to the glider field with blues and twos on, and I wouldn't have wanted to get in the way of that!

As Jim says, there are loads of opportunities for wild camping all around the area, within, say, five miles of the Long Mynd - particularly to the West, in the Onny Valley, or best of all in my opinion on The Stiperstones.

There was a bit of publicity a few years ago Brian, about the Stretton 'hum' (which is a noise, not a smell!). Lots of people could hear it but noone ever came up with an explanation of what it was. And there's a great piece by Jim Perrin the walking and climbing writer, about walking in the mist on the western side of the Mynd and an encounter with an odd couple - I won't spoil it in case anybody's interested in reading it for themselves - PM me for a link.

And if anybody is thinking of coming, PM me, its lonely in them thar hills (cue 'Duelling Banjos')!

Trevor :thumb:

Hi Trevor. I shall be coming up in feb, early march time depending on the weather for a bit of walking, going to stay in church stretton for a week or maybe more if i don't get bored, working my out from carding mill etc,

graham.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I was up there yesterday on the m/bike went up to the gliding club but the weather was terrible could'nt see a thing. Great spot for a bit of wildcamping I would think, a few nice places to park up for a night but a lot seem to have been shut off with big stones so they may have had problems in the past. Not sure I'd fancy taking a motorhome of any substantial size up there the road is very narrow:Eeek: Fantastic spot for walking though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back