Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Please be patient with a newbie if what I am asking is obviously not possible.

I live in the north of Scotland - above Aberdeen. I have heard great things about "Meets" that are held in England and would like to attend one but anywhere in England would not be viable either on a time or cost basis.

It has been suggested we arrange our holiday around a meet and call in when we are passing but as our holiday to the continent must allow 5 days to get to and from the coast this is problematic.

Another kind soul suggested I orgnaise a meet myself but as I have never been to a meet and would not know what is involved I don't think that has any practical value.

Are there enough Funsters about who live in Scotland for a meet to be organised in say the Perth area so us northern folk might enjoy a meet?
And is there a Scots based funster who might organise one. I would be willing to offer whatever support I could.

Norman

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
right lets get this straight, apart from the venue and date, not a lot else to organise, the funsters are a law unto themselves, hee hee (unless you can arrange a visit to a local distilliary). So first find a suitable venue and select a midge free area/time of year. Then think about getting out of the rain, tent/marquee/pub and post a tentative "how about a meet at?", you could use a Site with facilities or a field the choice is yours and most funsters can cope with either. Quite a few funsters travel north, and there are a few who actually live in the frozen north. So don't give up hope. If there is someplace close to you for funsters to stop, make a point of collecting info on any must/visit local spots for them let the odd one drop by and visit you. Funstering is all about enjoying the lifesyle that suits you.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another kind soul suggested I orgnaise a meet myself but as I have never been to a meet and would not know what is involved I don't think that has any practical value.
Norman

What is a meet ?

Well some make a big thing out of providing breakfast one day, or some cakes. Very nice but the main thing is folk having a good natter or blither in your case.

I make a suggestion.

You pick a date and post a message The Great Aberdeen Meet,
Alford - Haughton Caravan Park FUN Meet

XX of Month.

See how many takers, if it looks a goer then ask the site ( which is excellent and big and cheap for olde fartes ) if they have capacity and then just tell people to book a pitch.

Take a few cakes and offer "Bring your own mugs for coffee".

Simple as that.

Then keep your fingers crossed for the weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
Hi we are near Larencekirk, just down the road from you.
Had a lovely meet last year at Brin Herb Nursery, Inverness.
Would be up for a trip most weekends.
Terry & Hilary

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Glen Haggis isn't so far away either. If we're not away, we might be there...

Cheers, and, by the way, a Happy Burns Night.

Tony

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We,re up to Scotland, May to when the midges come out and take lumps out of me, so we will come to a meet:thumb:

clarify

Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
Funster No
We are in scotland in may as well .Finishing with the fun meet at misterton .
Ray Claire and Katie cat

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Had a lovely meet last year at Brin Herb Nursery, Inverness.
Terry & Hilary

We met the Brin Herb nursery peeps 2 weeks before their Meet,but couldnt attend cos we were going on to France.I got the impression they would be happy to host Meets if asked.They were members at that time.

Mike

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We are at Misterton end of May but since other half comes from the Black Isle, we could combine a meet with a trip further north. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi, I am running around the Mull of Kintyre 1/2 Marathon last weekend in May, and then having a little tour of Scotland. So might be a possibility for a night or two. :thumb:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all your comments and useful suggestions - they all answered my question. No one has organised a meet in Scotland.

I wasn't looking to be an organiser and as I work every weekend it might be difficult, but as a lot of MH's are retired and site fees are probably cheaper in the midweek I might have a look see if it might be possible to organise one for then.

As I said earlier I am a newbie not only to Funsters but also to MHing so I am naturally hesitant and it maybe that I will chicken out this year. So don't hold it against me if it doesn't come off.

Jock Mcdee

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Fife Scotland
Funster No
Exp
2 year
Hi norman and sue,
Great idea
I live in fife and we would be interested,, i will keep a look out if you go for it, :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as a lot of MH's are retired and site fees are probably cheaper in the midweek I might have a look see if it might be possible to organise one for then.

So don't hold it against me if it doesn't come off.

Sound logic. For some reason or other, habit ?, meets do seem to be weekend affairs but you post a suggestion and see what happens.

Let's be honest, the biggest fear is no-one bites :Smile:

At least you have a good excuse if no-one bites, you are in a sparsely populated area.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Shame the north of Scotland is so ruddy far from us - I was just looking how far Falkirk is and think Pete would have had enough for one day by the time we got about there - Google Maps says it is 6 hours so bet it would be longer than that against you've got north of Spaghetti and crossed the Thelwall Viaduct, let alone any accidents. Bearing in mind we like to tour in the week - that is Mon-Thurs incl - by the time we got to the north it would be time to come home again. Which is a nuisance cos Scotland generally appeals. Unless we actually make it holiday and Pete has some 'normal weekend' time off work ......

I am making assumptions but don't actually know the timings, because the Lake District is the furthest north I have ever (been) driven on the West and Whitby on the East. Mileage wise of course we do travel a bit further than that in a day in France when 'going to' or 'coming back from' - but there is less traffic generally there.

So am I right or wrong?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
France when 'going to' or 'coming back from' - but there is less traffic generally there.

So am I right or wrong?

Once north of Glasgow it thins a lot, once north of Perth it's more like "what traffic". Unless you get stuck behind an HGV but in FUN mode who cares.

I've never been further north then Inverness. I might have a look when I'm working near there in March, depending on the weather. 119 miles and then I've been as far north as you can on the mainland. Then I've done Lands End to John O'Groats even if it took 20 years.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Sorry, no, delighted, to say we hope to be off in Europe by May.

On general north /south travel, for years until the recent death of my father - he was even older than I - the senior partner and I have done a round trip from Glen Haggis to the Sussex coast almost monthly, but in a car. It's almost 600 miles each way. For us, it's a complete routine - I drive to Carlisle, boss drives to Birmingham, I finish the job. We have a swig of coffee and half a sandwich every hour, on the hour, just to mark progress. (We don't stop for this, but we're also pretty experienced and keep our eyes open for anyone with a rule book and a pointed head!)

All that said, we'd certainly not try to drive the van up or down in one hit, at least till we've had more experience. I'd really suggest taking a couple of days, and enjoying it, rather than turning up exhausted.

Any road, thanks to Norman and Sue - and there are probably enough of us to have a small meet, so we can learn the ropes, and for those of us who are not really social animals, to get to know a few people at a time.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
All that said, we'd certainly not try to drive the van up or down in one hit, at least till we've had more experience. I'd really suggest taking a couple of days, and enjoying it, rather than turning up exhausted.

But there is such a lot od Scotland to see in between the beginning and the north - would we ever get there!!

(Don't answer that, it's one of them rhetorrical questions!)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

But there is such a lot od Scotland to see in between the beginning and the north - would we ever get there!!

(Don't answer that, it's one of them rhetorrical questions!)

Coventry to Stirling 324 miles and you've broken the back of the journey and made it to proper Scotland in a day.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
That was what I said Brian! If you had the whole week including the following weekend it would be fine, but not if the time available is only 4 days.

Save N Scotland for 'after Pete retires' then (at least another 2 years, maybe longer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Save N Scotland for 'after Pete retires' then (at least another 2 years, maybe longer)

I guess he gets a "proper holiday", so you don't fancy Scotland for that ?

I agree actually, from where you are you might as well do Switzerland as Scotland and no matter how much the Scots protest, the Swiss beat them easily on hills and scenery in general.

Just imagine standing on the Aiguile du Midi ( OK that's France but you can see Switzerland ) and looking down, the top of Ben Nevis would be 8000 feet BELOW.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I guess he gets a "proper holiday", so you don't fancy Scotland for that ?

I agree actually, from where you are you might as well do Switzerland as Scotland and no matter how much the Scots protest, the Swiss beat them easily on hills and scenery in general.

Just imagine standing on the Aiguile du Midi ( OK that's France but you can see Switzerland ) and looking down, the top of Ben Nevis would be 8000 feet BELOW.

Size is not everything Brian - well thats what Jean tells me. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Reasonable question Brian, haven't a clue, haven't seen him yet today!

But if last year is anything to go by he won't because he says if he has a weekend off that gives us 11 days - Monday until a week on Thursday - so we will go to France. I was nearly sick of France by October. So then to use his hols up we land up going to Bath and Minehead when it was freezing cold - and don't get me wrong I enjoyed it! - but how much nicer it might have been to go to the meet and do the Comedy Walk with the MHF gang!

I'm sorry, I have hijacked this thread.:sorry2:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
To attract as many Funsters as poss maybe it shouldn't be too far North.

Clearly many folks don't want to travel too far North if they live in the central belt of England but consider the lowlands as not part of Scotland. Last year we went to Brinherb Nursery near Inverness & met up with other MH's and that was a good meet, but a long way if you live down in middle England.

I could suggest our place (Cressfield Caravan Park) as I'm sure I could twist the arm of our friendly site owner to let us have his rally field for a few days. But people don't think of Ecclefechan being Scotland so would they come?

So how many would want to dip their toe in & see some of southern Scotland? We have Castles Lochs & walks but the hills are just smaller, & easier to climb.

It takes me 2.5 hrs to get to Manchester to give some idea how far we are from the NW of England.

Keith

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Sounds good to me and it looks good on the website. I think we could all have fun there. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ditto! Def not too far either - even for persons further south than us!

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Scottish meet?

Thanks to all the replies - sadly many of the English replies missed my point entirely. If you are south of the border you are within reach of a meet sometime during the year.
For those of us who live (well) north of the border these are generally out of reach. I was suggesting a meet in Scotland and many people suggested as there was no meet in Scotland I should organise one. For that reason it would need to be at least in the county I live - Aberdeenshire. How ever if one was held in the borders it could be reached by more MH's on either side of the border and therefore attract more people. So I was pleased when a suggestion was made to hold one in Eccelfechan. I will watch with interest and support it if I can.

Norman of Normanandsue

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Normandsue.

The best thing to do is to organise one where you are going to be for a weekend. Like you say in your own county where you know. Make it that you are going away for the weekend and if others come its a bonus.

A meet can be 2 vans or 22. Personally, Scotland is one of my favourite places to tour, and as far as I am concerned the further North the better. Sadly though, I have to go around the time's of school holidays, as said we are off to the Mull of Kintyre this Whitsun week with a few other vans,.

I have organised meets in the past thinking no one would come and ended up with 58 vans. :whatthe:
There are many that use this site that would not normally post but would turn up if they saw one advertised. That would I am sure include a few in Scotland. I know Dingray (Ray) lives in Dingwall and is often saying how long it takes to get to meets, I am sure he also went to the Scottish one at the gardens done last year and really enjoyed it.

So my advice is, put it up and give it a go, The worse that could happen is not that no one turns up, but many more than you thought turn up!!! if your going away anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Paul

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
"But people don't think of Ecclefechan being Scotland so would they come?"

Not a lot of people know the joys of Ecclefechan. Come North, folk, and fech an Eccle for yourselves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back