Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi folks
We're off to Scotland in april for a 'do' thought we'd stop-off and have a look at the Falkirk Wheel on the way back, can anyone reccomend a site close to it.

Cheers...nige

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi folks
We're off to Scotland in april for a 'do' thought we'd stop-off and have a look at the Falkirk Wheel on the way back, can anyone reccomend a site close to it.
Cheers...nige

I'm sure we stayed on a CC site nearby once. But the main thing is see it. As a piece of lateral thinking engineering it is superb.

Then head north for *real* Scotland.

OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Thanks Brian, we're starting at Frazerburgh then heading back slowly south till Peterborough the following weekend. :thumb:

cheers...nige

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Sites are very few and far between in this part of Scotland, everybody wants to go to the highlands.

Don't miss it it though, it really is an outstanding piece of engineering. My daughter lives within walking distance so we have been often and it still it amazes me.

A CC site not far away is:
The Woods Caravan Park
Diverswell Farm, Fishcross, Stirling, Stirling, FK10 3AN

Telephone: 01259 762802

It is an easy drive down from Stirling on the MW & it's well signed.

There is a reasonable size car park at the wheel so you should OK in your van.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hmmm - we ought to go there! So I have been having a look. I went onto the wheel website

http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/faq/15...ntire-canal-network-from-edinburgh-to-glasgow

and in the FAQ's it says there are 2 campsites near - exacept they aren't partic near - how strange! The first one they mention is small and on UK Campsite, last review was posted in 2009, did not sound all that impressive at that, but it is a campsite! The link given to the other one is broken but

http://www.beecraigs.com/campsite/camp_plan.htm

Much more expensive of course but looks really nice! The price only includes 2 adults and kids under 5, so if your kids are older than that it's + £3.05 a night. Know how to rake it in ..... TBH if you take the difference in price between this site and one of the two caravan club sites mentioned, you have almost paid your CC membership. And if you stayed at a CL instead at about a Tenner a night - well you are absolutely quids in.

In the caravan club directory there are also no less than 8 CL's listed around Stirling , plus there is another CC site further away at Blair Drummond - 01786 841208

The nearest CL is at Denny apparently 3.1m away from the wheel, farm, free wifi, £10 a night incl elec. I rest my case m'lud.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We stayed at the CC site at the west side of Edinburgh and rode over to Falkirk on the bike.
There are some photos of the wheel on our album "Scotland 2007".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have used Beecraig late in season and found it a reasonable site, only used for one night as just passing through, and had almost to ourselves.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hmmm - we ought to go there! So I have been having a look. I went onto the wheel website

http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/faq/15...ntire-canal-network-from-edinburgh-to-glasgow

and in the FAQ's it says there are 2 campsites near - exacept they aren't partic near - how strange! The first one they mention is small and on UK Campsite, last review was posted in 2009, did not sound all that impressive at that, but it is a campsite! The link given to the other one is broken but

http://www.beecraigs.com/campsite/camp_plan.htm

Much more expensive of course but looks really nice! The price only includes 2 adults and kids under 5, so if your kids are older than that it's + £3.05 a night. Know how to rake it in ..... TBH if you take the difference in price between this site and one of the two caravan club sites mentioned, you have almost paid your CC membership. And if you stayed at a CL instead at about a Tenner a night - well you are absolutely quids in.

In the caravan club directory there are also no less than 8 CL's listed around Stirling , plus there is another CC site further away at Blair Drummond - 01786 841208

The nearest CL is at Denny apparently 3.1m away from the wheel, farm, free wifi, £10 a night incl elec. I rest my case m'lud.

Link Removed

The one at Denny looks OK and that is right on the door step. As said my daughter lives close by so I have never looked at sites close to her home, we always stop on her driveway. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back