Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I know there are a lot of RV owners on here.

My question is how long did it take to get used to driving such a big wagon?

When I first drove my motorhome it felt like a bus but I soon got used to using the side mirrors and reversing camera.

Some of these RV's though are enormous and I just wonder how it feels.

My wife would love one and subject to funds so would I but the actual driving makes me ever so slightly nervous.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
RV

hi treacle,yes your right there is nothing quite like an RV,we love ours .for me the width is more of an issue than the length.ours is 34ft long.you just have to be careful and use your common sense,cos when you are keeping tight to the kerbside you are also very close to the white line so you have to be very aware of on coming traffic especially the trucks.thats why we call the passenger seat the suicide seat:ROFLMAO:but you soon get used to it.we have been rv,ing for three years now and would find it very difficult to go back to a european without slide outs,the space the slide outs create is great.good luck for the future.regards brian jo and josh:thumb:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thank you Brian. Its the space that has really got my wife interested.

Suicide seat - yikes!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Ya

Width is the problem not length what I do is keep as close to the gutter as possible. Pull into the kerb as close as you feel comfortable then make a mark on the windscreen where the curb is and then when you drive if you keep this mark on the curb you will be as far left as you can be. :thumb:

Kevin

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

We have changed from a 24ft European MH to a 32ft C Class RV and although we only changed in December we know we would not want to go back to a Euro MH.

Being a C Class I have found getting used to driving has been fairly quick (i'm happy to say) it is true about the width more than length as Brian says although I think i am narrower than the big A Class RV's i'm not sure.

Only other thing is the overhang at the back you have to remember how much it swings out especially when driving out of petrol stations, at first i came a bit close to the pumps:Eeek: having said that there is no way i would want to go back to the Euro MH, i actually find the driving position far more comfortable my wife also finds she is far more comfortable as a passenger and frankly the push out side, space and facilities canot be beaten.

Take care
Gary

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Treacle
The first journey was the worst clipped a kerb or two, as Brian said the length takes care of its self to a point at almost 37 foot its got to:ROFLMAO:
seriously the width is also an issue that requires extra thought, but thats all it is, take you time no one going to push you about in an RV are they,:winky: a few of us have a little marker on the left of the screen and can happily cruise along at 50 mph running in the kerb without scuffing
After 3 trips out if you've still got both mirrors your a veteran:thumb:
I will say for the big boy toy factor there is nothing that will bring a bigger smile to your face, and at times tears when you fill it up, if fuel is in your mind forget the RVs altogether
If your at Newark I will happily let you have a spin round the camping area on Sunday after we've packed up, and show you the secret windscreen marker
Post back for more tips on buying, or pop over to our Jim's other site RVOC for any info you need,
BUT don't expect to be talked out of buying an RV there
Geo

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
As others have said, width/keeping well to the left, or in the gutter, which given you're already sat to the left is easy.

More specifically, I was about 300 ish miles before driving the RV became 'normal', or second nature if you will, and from there on you just have to put up with the silly grin that doesn't seem to go and the panic on the passengers face:ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why not have a word with rick, Motor Roamin, he teaches HGV drivers and I do believe he could arrange a familiarisation testdrive/weekend or whatever in a safe environment worth a pm I would have thought

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks all. That's really helpful.

Now all I need is some money:Blush:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi,
I am a new RVer, only having bought ours in December. Due to the bad weather I did not get any time to get accustomed to driving it before our trip to Spain before Christmas.

The main thing that has took me time to get used to on general roads is the width. As Brian says oncoming trucks can seem very close. Getting yourself close in to the side of road takes a while. Most cars give me a wide berth but lorries don't give a toss:ROFLMAO: No reflection on lorry drivers...they just have plenty of experience. I have lined myself up to a point on my dash so I know roughly where I am now. Length has not been a problem except when turning. Have to be aware of the back end swinging round. Reversing or manuvering on to pitches usually needs a little assistance. So far always plenty of willing helpers. :thumb:

I feel more comfortable now and by the time I have driven back to UK hopefully more so. And a RV with slides gives so much more living space there is no comparison.

I think I will have to look at journeys/places/sites in advance much more that before.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I know there are a lot of RV owners on here.

My question is how long did it take to get used to driving such a big wagon?

RV's though are enormous and I just wonder how it feels.

you'll soon get used to wearing brown underpants ... :roflmto:

seriously ... I drove about 20k miles in mine, from the Scottish highlands to the Sahara desert and all places in between ..
They are big and you do need to give some thought to your route, taking that spur of the moment turn is not recommended... you'll only do it once !

The bigger you are the fewer sites you will fit onto.. so that also needs consideration.. planning ahead is not essential but highly recommended.

Running costs about double that of a euro van , so that is a big consideration.

Houses for courses, if you want to do a lot of touring then IMO a euro van is a better tool.. on the other hand if you are more likely to spend time at shows and on sites for a week then there is no doubt the comfort afforded in an RV is unbeatable ... it's a trade off , only you can decide.

Before viewing an RV , take a big dose of reality pills and leave the rose tinted specs at home..

They are awesome beasts to drive and live aboard ... but have their limitations and are not cheap to own. As I was told, have deep pockets, very deep pockets.

My opinion from owning one for five years, three spent living in it full time.. others will have a different perspective ..

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We too are interested in this thread, we would love an RV but something is stopping us, probably the driving of it but as you have all said its just getting used to such a big beast.
Saying that we started with a van conversion , have gone up to a Compass avantgard then a swift sundance now a swift voyager, going a little bigger everytime, thats the problem, you get used to one size and then you want something bigger????

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: wait for it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That is where we all walk away :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
you were doing so well:Doh:

Seriously though the ones my wife likes are £150k plus:Eeek:

We paid £47k for our Burstner new in 2008 and that seemed a hefty sum. I think it would be even more hefty now with the exchange rates.

Its a really nice van but the look of the lounges in these RV's is something else.

I blame Robert De Niro and "Meet the Fockers" cos that is when Mrs T first started liking RV's.

I quite fancy having a drivers intercom though ...

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Ya

Here is a cheaper version of the drivers intercom

Link Removed

You could add them to your eurovan a cheaper alternative :RollEyes: :ROFLMAO:

Kevin and Tricia

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I like those RV headsets, we occationally use walkie talkies if manoverings tight, or usually just when we drop the levelers, ours are the swing down electric type with duff sensors so we need to check going up and down, and walkie talkies are diffucult, well, mmm, difficult, wife seems to think they are magic and will work without pressing the button, or remember what shes said and send it all when she does press the button:Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
After a few miles they do shrink around you and you can almost go anywhere you like, but not on a whim, you do need to plan your journeys. We have been cavalier in ours, touring UK, France and Spain, yes this attitude has got us stuck, we have been monumentaly stuck, but I never knew anyone who got stuck and is still stuck. ::bigsmile: We always escape sometimes with a scrape, sometimes without.

RVers always say that if the country bus, or a skip lorry can get there there so can an RV, but I would say that some of our hairiest momemts have been when we have met the country bus or the skip lorry::bigsmile:

We bought the RV because we needed the space, we needed five full sized wardrobes and space for kids to study, now we don't need the space and I look forward to downsizing to as small as we can cope with:Smile: It will be nice to have a book full of Aires, knowing that you can get on every one and you are not going to become the evening's entertainment when you arrive at an aire, find its full and you have to do a 21 point turn to get out::bigsmile:

Most pople buy RVs for the space, the trick is to enjoy the size and not regret it. So many people are scared of driving their RV so they don't, but the more you do it the easier it gets and as Geo said its hard to drive one without a big smile:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Seriously though the ones my wife likes are £150k plus:Eeek:

We paid £47k for our Burstner new in 2008 and that seemed a hefty sum. I think it would be even more hefty now with the exchange rates.

Its a really nice van but the look of the lounges in these RV's is something else.

I blame Robert De Niro and "Meet the Fockers" cos that is when Mrs T first started liking RV's.

I quite fancy having a drivers intercom though ...
45k will buy you a very nice Rv:thumb:
On average id say RVers spend a lot less than that, you wont get a good deal trying to trade in a Euro van for one though, unless the market has changed dramaticly
The dealers seam to think the the Euros are worth half that of an RV
But in reality the RV seem the cheaper option to me
Geo
£150,000 for one :Eeek::Eeek: never in my liftime, even if I had the money and as nice as they are Im afraid a reality check would stop me
I might go to half that when i win the lottery, but it would have to be very special::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Well Treacle,
l paid an awful lot less than your £47k for our RV. And we love it.
As for driving them, they do shrink, and you will not think twice about driving an RV in time. It is the width thats seems strange, but, it's also being left hand drive that seems to magnify the problem.
l used to drive artics with 40 ft trailers, and didn't think twice about the size. It becomes second nature, as will an RV. However, my RV being LHD, concentration was needed until l got used to it, just the same as anyone. If it had been RHD, l wouldn't have had a problem at all. Now l am used to it, the size has shrunk, and there are no problems at all.
Take your time, relax, and enjoy.

Craig

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
By the way fellas when does a big motorhome become an RV?

I ask because some motorhomes seem big (to me) but still look like a motorhome (if you know what I mean).

In the Burstner range there is quite a big one it's A class with 6 wheels called an Elegance I think but I don't think that is an rv.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
By the way fellas when does a big motorhome become an RV?

when it's born in the good 'ol USA

RV is not a size.. it's the generic name the yanks use for any vehicle used for recreation .. from a folding tent camper trailer, van conversion, caravan (travel trailer) , 5er, Toy hauler. B class , C class and A class Motorhomes.. all RVs

ie .

recreational vehicle

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We've been 5 years with 2 a class and now a b class. Easy with care and practice, wouldn't be without our RV. Good luck :thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l also think that the size seems big on an a-class RV, because of the vastness of the windscreen when you first sit in one. Extremely high and wide, similar to a coach. My RV stands 12 ft high, but that is not a lot of difference to a cab over eurobox.

Craig

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Indeed £45k will buy you a nice RV we bought ours for less than that £32K

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 30

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Why not have a word with rick, Motor Roamin, he teaches HGV drivers and I do believe he could arrange a familiarisation testdrive/weekend or whatever in a safe environment worth a pm I would have thought

Indeed we do, if you have driven LHD vehicles before then it is just a case of getting used to the size and road position, depending on what licence you have depends on what vehicle we use, we also have our own 1mile runway so we can take people off road ie no need for a licence.

If you have never driven LHD before I would always recomend you have a car for a couple of hours (we can arrange that) as your first few corners may be a bit daunting and have you feeling you cant drive, I still remember my first mustang when I was 17 scared the pants off me for the first 15mins.

Like Geo I have thought of putting dizzy money into an RV and couldn't justify it mine was close to £74,000 but one of my customers paid £22,000 18 months ago for a very nice 1999 Damon intruder 36' fully retrimmed in leather a stunning bargain.

Hope this helps

Rick

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Indeed we do, if you have driven LHD vehicles before then it is just a case of getting used to the size and road position, depending on what licence you have depends on what vehicle we use, we also have our own 1mile runway so we can take people off road ie no need for a licence.

If you have never driven LHD before I would always recomend you have a car for a couple of hours
Rick

I agree with all the previous and especialy Rick. Luckily I had a left hand Smart Car for 3 years prior to buying my LH 24 foot Hymer which again I had for 3 years and had the Smart for a toad. It did take a while to get used to the larger size but common sense soon settles you down. Before Mo became more disabled we had managed three trips up to Scotland and there narrow A roads and single track, keep you on your toes. We got our 100 inch wide 29 foot RV 3 years ago, as a previous Poster mentioned If a Country Bus can go down a road, so can you. I too got caught out meeting a Skip lorry coming toward me on a Cornish B road, he won the argument and I fitted a new left-hand mudgaurd:cry:
I think the only tricky manouver is stopping at an angled road junction where the RV side panel obscues the traffic ( which applies to any LH Euro or RV ) so if the Boss isn't in the suicide seat its Hell!.

Anyhow best of luck to any new Lefties and as long as you can afford to run it there are some good bargins out there, as a matter of interest mine cost less than £20,000, but got up to that figure once I had it converted to LPG, Solar Panels installed and Camos TV system.

Brian

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is 9' 11" on the mirrors

Hi,

We have changed from a 24ft European MH to a 32ft C Class RV and although we only changed in December we know we would not want to go back to a Euro MH.

Being a C Class I have found getting used to driving has been fairly quick (i'm happy to say) it is true about the width more than length as Brian says although I think i am narrower than the big A Class RV's i'm not sure.

Only other thing is the overhang at the back you have to remember how much it swings out especially when driving out of petrol stations, at first i came a bit close to the pumps:Eeek: having said that there is no way i would want to go back to the Euro MH, i actually find the driving position far more comfortable my wife also finds she is far more comfortable as a passenger and frankly the push out side, space and facilities canot be beaten.

Take care
Gary

Gary you are 9'11" wide on the mirrors... So that is as wide as a coach or an A class.. Length is not an issue, itis how wide... In some ways I would say it is easier in an A class having owned one in the past. But do remember unless you own a wide track RV the the front wheels ..same for the C and B class are set in more than the rear wheels. Some newer A class RV's have wide track and that means the front wheels are in line with the rearwheels.

If you have what is the norm then you have to take this into account. Not an issue on an A class as you are sitting on the outer part of the vehicle if you follow me.

With your RV Garry you are a long way in side the vehicle foot print as you have the body over hanging the cab by about 8" or more then add the awning arm and finally the mirrors...

I always drive my RV with the view I do not want to pay out £300 for a new mirror head.. As I also have wide view extra velvet mirrors on top that makes my mirrors worth £330 each... I give way if I am in doubt... Bad enough losing a mirror, but the awning arm? Or even the body!!

But you soon get used to it, caution is the watch word.. I have a label giving my sizes in metric and imperial just to remind me that i have 3" spare to get under the blackwell tunnel.. But then my cb twig is a good 6" above my sat dish and air con box!

But it is a dream to drive and what you get on an RV is well worth just being a little bit more careful with it.

Bob:thumb:

Last edited:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I wasn't sure if the hab area was the sAme width or not as the A classes.

I have fitted extra wide angle mirrors to the top of the existing and yes I took your advice about having a sign with all the dimensions on I have secured on the sun visor came in very handy when goof in for petrol at the Auchan in Calais noticed the height of canopy was 3.8m our height 3.6m :Eeek:needed a quick check but pleased I had it.

As you say caution is the wAtch word if in doubt give way

Cheers
Gary

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks