bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We were thinking about going to a CCC meet at Sandringham next month but have decided against it. Also decided we will not be taking the bikes and our little dog Izzy up to Thetford Forest today because of the ongoing concerns over mysterious dog deaths. Please see the following link if you have a dog. http://www.aht.org.uk Take care, Jane :Sad:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We used to take Bruno & Amy to the The Covert CC site @ Thetford but they did pick up ticks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The problem now is not ticks but a potentially deadly stomach thing. Cause unknown. Jane

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for this Jane, was going to go to Johns Rally in Thetford but thinking twice about it now.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Thanks for this Jane, was going to go to Johns Rally in Thetford but thinking twice about it now.

Not time to change your mind yet as few months away.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Thanks Jane:thumb:

Was thinking of going that way for a short break soon, will now go to Wiltshire our second choice.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks Jane:thumb:

Was thinking of going that way for a short break soon, will now go to Wiltshire our second choice.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Enjoy Wiltshire! I am not meaning to scare anyone, nor put anyone off of Jaws' meet at Thetford, we have our names down and have even planned our next trip abroad to start as the Thetford meet ends... Just now we know there is a problem, with no obvious cause to avoid, it makes you wary! Might mean we stick to the football field and keep away from the woods. Hopefully the research 'they' are doing means we will know our enemy better. Jane :Smile:
P.S. To take a leaf from an administrators posts... there is also a Thanks button (bottom right) though I do like the personal approach better anyway ::bigsmile:

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Hi I haven't read your link as yet, but was aware of this problem via another forum and also the Tv toward the end of last season.

I also have avoided some sites because of this including Sandringham and Clumber Park.............and probably will continue to do so.

I understood though that this problem was only supposed to be at certain times of year ie end of summer and probably algea at that time of year. Several weeks ago we were at Knaresborough CC site, we went for a meal in the Bistro, we were chatting to a couple of CC Wardens who were waiting to move to their next site. We got onto this topic and they also said the problem was confined to certain times of year.

As I previously said I haven't as yet read the link gven, but with two dogs myself I would like to know if the problem is persisting at this time of year too.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Jane.

You did not scare us off, 1 of our dogs was very ill some time ago and spent quite a while at Royal Vet. Coll. about 2 months, and still we or they don't know what was wrong with her. We are very careful on what she comes into contact with as she cost us over £7000 in tests etc.

Dave .:thumb:

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Hi this link may help ref my prevous post, but like I said even though folk have told me that it is now on the wane...........I still don't fancy taking any chances. The link also refers to the web site in the OP asking for help.

Hopefully they might get to the bottom of all this before the end of next summer
Link Removed

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks for all the info Briarose, I did notice it was called a seasonal disease but as the information is sketchy, and not knowing for sure what is the cause, caution is worth taking. I would not like a bill like Dave has had or to see Izzy sick especially if I had knowingly taken her somewhere that I knew to be hazardous. Just now I will continue to 'review the situation'!
Thanks again, Jane :RollEyes:

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all the info Briarose, I did notice it was called a seasonal disease but as the information is sketchy, and not knowing for sure what is the cause, caution is worth taking. I would not like a bill like Dave has had or to see Izzy sick especially if I had knowingly taken her somewhere that I knew to be hazardous. Just now I will continue to 'review the situation'!
Thanks again, Jane :RollEyes:

Hi no probs. I am just the same and worry so much over my dogs, I just thought it might help you to know that it does seem to be something that happens at certain times of year (again not that I am risking it) the last post on facts about this was the 26th Oct.

Nette

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Dogs inThetford Forest

I fully understand everyone's concerns but I live in Thetford and I and hundreds of other local people walk our dogs in the part of the forest next to this venue and have had no problems.

It was reported in our local papers during the time this was happening and the opinion was that it was some sort of seasonal problem and would probably die out as the weather got colder.

There have been no reports of dogs becoming ill - as far as I know - in the past 4 months at least. I spoke to my Vet about it a few weeks ago and was told they knew of no new cases since the end of last summer. I avoided the area for a few weeks when there were reports in the papers and I haven't heard of any dogs dying as a result of walking in this part of the forest, I don't know if the deaths were in the Sandringham area.

I don't know if the dogs that died had other health problems. Also I don't know how many dogs died, maybe it was only one or two out of the hundreds that enjoy the forest.

The impression I get is that its a sort of 'dog flu' and like human flu the fit and healthy seem to fight it off and the elderly ones with other health issues are often unable to survive it. As far as I know a number of dogs became 'unwell' and had bouts of being sick but recovered quickly.

These reports of dogs becoming ill after being in certain areas are not new. A few years ago it was happening at Pakefield beach in Suffolk, I don't think any reason for it was ever discovered and apparently hasn't happened since. With investigation there are probably stories of this kind all around the country. It was referred to as a 'seasonal' virus affecting dogs.

I shall certainly be going to this meet, with my dogs and between now and then will be walking regularly in the forest, will let you know if I hear of any 'sickness' as I meet dozens of other dog walkers and the word will spread if any dogs become ill.

If anyone is unsure there are two Vet practices in Thetford, ring them and I am sure they will be happy to offer good advise.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
These deaths have been recorded all over the UK - it isn't specific to one area, so don't worry yourself too much. It does seem to be seasonal, which would tally with tests that fear algae is the cause - though they are still uncertain.

In this theory, a notts vet discovered the dead dogs had ingested blue/green algae. It is thought that 20 parts per billion is enough to kill them. Many of these dogs had been in or near water during the walk. It is thought that drinking, swimming or licking water from fur is enough to kill them.

It also tallies with the rise in summer toxic algaes over recent years that seem to be reagularly reported on local news.

Assuming this is a clue, it may be worth keeping your dog away from water, puddles etc - harder with some breeds I know! - and making sure they only drink from fresh water you take with you.

That really is the only precaution you can take at this time! Don't worry - go where you want and have fun!:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
ERRRR...
Given that the Thetford Forest area is the largest pine forest in the UK and 3rd in Europe, covering swaths of Norfolk and Suffolk I think perhaps this info is more than a tad misleading !
As Rainbow Chaser says, reasonable precaution near water ( and that would have to be still water of which there is very very little in the area of the Rugby Club where it is all happening !) will prevent any chance of an oooo nasty.

It is worth mentioning that the forest in the immediate is used for one of the UK sled dog championship rounds, and if there was any serious issue those good folk would have long since cancelled and bailed !

Oh, and unless this 'ere global warming finally takes off I doubt there will be much chance for ANY algae to form by the end of May :Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We live locally and walk our two weimaraners all the time at these locations.
The Sandringham problems are well documented locally.
It only occurs during warm autumn periods and has done for the last four years or so. We never worry about it at any other time.

In fact we have never come across anyone who has had a problem with their dog, it always seems to be hearsay and the odd sensationalist newspaper story which fuels the scaremongering.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back