Motorhome Abbreviations (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
As an intermittent user of MotorhomeFun, I wonder if somewhere there is a list of the abbreviations members use in their posts, which are of course familiar to them, but not neccessarily to others. How can I find out what a CL is for instance? Or a CFL, as featured in the recent Newsletter.

I finally worked out what OC meant, but for many of us enthusiastic amateurs it can take a long time to understand all the jargon!!! I have a GSOH and can even LOL at some posts, but in spite of checking COPAC, BNB and BL, I can't find a dictionary of motorhoming abbreviations anywhere.... Or perhaps I should do a motorhoming evening course?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Glossary of Motorhome terms Taken from the buyers guide, I'm sure we can add a couple::bigsmile:

12-Volt DC - A motorhome’s electrical system. 12-volt direct current is supplied by on board batteries to run the lights, fridge, stereo, radio, water pump,fans and other equipment.

240AC - This is the electricity that the motorhome receives when on a hook up, the power is the same as you get in your home.

A Class - A motorhome built on a base vehicle from the chassis up. All the bodywork is designed and built by the motorhome manufacturer.

A Frame
- Towing Separate framework used to tow a (small) car behind a motorhome. An accepted method of towing a car in the UK There are debates about the legality in Europe with some countries issuing on the spot fines.

ABS - an anti lock breaking system but can also mean ‘acrylonitrile-butadiene- styrene’ which is a type of plastic sometimes used for exterior body panels on motorhomes

Agreed Value -
If you have added lots of accessories which makes your motorhome worth much more than the book price. You may wish to have the insured value of your vehicle reflect it’s true worth and agree a value with your insurers.

Air Rides -
Proprietary name for spring assisters fitted to the rear axle. Air rides will improve the handling of the motorhome.

Aire De Service - Or just “Aire” These are motorhome service points, found all over France, where you can stay for a day or two. They usually have fresh water, somewhere to dump waste and some have electricity.

Al-Ko - a proprietary Chassis used to increase improve the length, payload of motorhomes. Al-Ko make entire chassis’ and extensions designed to fit on
the original vehicle chassis.

Artic Package - a term used by Americans to describe an RV that has been equipped with extra insulation and heat pads for holding tanks for wintertime use.

Awning - A fabric extension that rolls out over a window or patio area of a Motorhome, these are almost always an extra. Axle weight - The amount of weight carried by a single axle and the amount of weight transmitted to the road by one axle.

Base Vehicle - Most motorhomes are built on an existing vehicle. This is usually either a panel van or a chassis cab – The most common in the UK is the Fiat but Ford, Mercedes, Peugeot, Renault and Volkswagen are all used also.

Black Water - The term for toilet waste held in a holding tank until a means of disposal is available, ie black tank

Blown Air Heating - A method of heating all areas of a motorhome by delivering warm air via small pipes.Boondocking - An American term for wildcamping. Parking anywhere other than on a paying campsite.

Breakaway system
- An emergency device designed to stop a towed vehicle if it were to become detached from the motorhome.

BTU British thermal Unit The quantity of heat needed to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. Some equipment israted in BTU’s

Butane - see LPG

Captain’s chairs - The regular driver and passenger seats at the front, when they swivel to face the living area.

Cassette Toilet - A type of toilet where the waste is held in a removable container sometimes known as a cassette, which you carry to a Chemical Disposal Point on a campsite / Aire De Service to empty.

CC - Caravan Club.

CCC - Camping and Caravanning Club.

CDP
- Chemical Disposal Point, Are for the disposal of toilet waste (Black
water).

Chassis - The steel frame skeleton that holds the engine, running gear, and steering and suspension systems and on which the body section of the motorhome is mounted. In most Coachbuilt motorhomes, the chassis includes these components as well as the original van cab section.

Chassis Battery - The battery used for starting the motorhome and powering 12-volt DC automotive components of the drivetrain, as distinct from the ‘leisure battery’

CFL
Certificated Fun Location, small site that is limited to 5 caravans or

CL - as CFL but caravan club equivilent

CS - as CFL but Camping and Caravanning club

Coachbuilt motorhome - A motorhome built on an automotive manufactured van chassis.

Converter/charger - When connected to an AC power outlet, this electronic device automatically converts 240 volts AC to 12 volts DC to run 12-volt equipment. It may also charge the leisure batteries

Delamination - In motorhome construction, a failure of the adhesive bond line, or of one of the individual components, within a laminated assembly of either wall, roof or floor, Can be a sign of damp.

Elsan Point- see CDP

Dump station - See CDP

Full-timer - A person who travels and lives in a motorhome full time

FSH - Full service history

Grey Water - waste water from sinks & showers

GVW - Gross vehicle weight as marked on the vehicles VIN plate.This means the maximum amount the vehicle can weigh. Usually referred to as MAM or MTPLM. It is illegal to operate a vehicle in excess of the maximum weight marked on the VIN plate.

Holding tanks - The collective name for the tanks that collect black water (toilet waste) and grey water (sink, shower, lavatory). Also the fresh-water tank.

Hook up - 240v socket on a campsite that you plug into and power your motorhome. Also known as EHU (Electric Hook Up)

Leisure Battery - The deep-cycle battery (ies) that power the motorhome’s 12-volt DC electrical system, separate from the chassis battery. These batteries allow you to camp for long periods with a ‘hook up’

Inverter
- A device that converts 12-volt direct current to 240-volt alternating current. Inverters allow you to use regular items like 240v TVs, phone chargers and computers via the power in your “Leisure Batteries”

LWB - Long wheelbase generally referring to the original base vehicle

LPG - Liquid petroleum gas, this comes in two types: Propane, which is OK
for all season use; butane, no so good in the winter as it won’t produce gas
below 0°C

MAM - Maximum authorised mass, see GVW

MRO - Mass in Running Order. The total weight of the motorhome equipped to the manufacturer’s standard specification - it doesn’t include any part of the user payload.

MTPLM - Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass, see GVW

NCC - National Caravan Council. The trade association for motorhome manufacturers, suppliers and dealers. The council for certifies hat new motorhomes comply with European and relevant standards.

Payload - The weight of the extra items that you can carry in the motorhomeafter an allowance has been made for driver, passenger, water, fuel, gas and certain other essentials.

Propane - See LPG

RV
- Recreational Vehicle, used in the USA to mean any type of camping vehicle, but often used in the UK to refer strictly to American motorhomes.

Safari Room - An awning that has panels which can be affixed to create a complete room protected on all sides

Slideout
- A wall on a motorhome that slides out to give greater living space. The slide out is only operated once on site. There are single slides, doubles, triples and quads. The slide our sections are anywhere between 6 and 12ft. Some later American models have full wall slides, where the whole of one side slides out to provide a massive extension.

SOG - A cassette toilet modification where toilet chemicals are not used, forced air is used to disperse smells.

Subfloor - The panels that generally comprise the floor of a motorhome’s storage area. Also known as basement floor.

Toad - a colloquial term for the vehicle you tow behind a motorhome

Wheelbase -
The distance between the centres of the front and rear wheels on a motorhome. If a motorhome has a tag axle, the wheelbase is measured from the front axle to the centre point between the drive and tag axles.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
S.H.E.D. A Motorhome you wish you hadn't bought

N.A.I.L. See S.H.E.D

Come on there must be hundreds of Fun one's out there:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

N.A.I.L. See S.H.E.D

Money pit .. RV :

Black hole .. see money pit

Warder .. CC Warden

Hitler.. see warder

Wild camping .. free parking

Freeloading .. (insulting term) .. see wild camping

Last edited:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hang on Jim, I thought 'freeloading' was an insulting term, since 'wild camping' is pretty smart, since we are beating them at their own game. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
RR = Road Runner:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for all the above though:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Starting with the base vehicle's a

FIAT fix it again tony

FORD Fix or repair daily

GEO Get everything Overhauled (for a small price)

MERCEDES Merger Engaged Reverse Chrysler Entering Decline Evident Soon

VW Very weird

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
i fink de speeling chekker nedes dese abreaviations insurted so it makes senze of dem IMHO

Peter

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
First, Jim lad, pl ignore the knockers, - quiet at the back there,- that list is v.useful

Having got the smile on, I hadn't realised how clever an A Class is. "All the bodywork is designed and built by the motorhome".

A bit like a self-raising flower, IIMSS. And no sniggers at the back, please, gentlemen.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

N.A.I.L. See S.H.E.D

Are these allied to the trade term F.E.R.K.E.D.
All the best Rick

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
First, Jim lad, pl ignore the knockers, - quiet at the back there,- that list is v.useful

Having got the smile on, I hadn't realised how clever an A Class is. "All the bodywork is designed and built by the motorhome".

A bit like a self-raising flower, IIMSS. And no sniggers at the back, please, gentlemen.

"All the bodywork is designed and built by the motorhome manufacturer".

Looks like I missed a word in the copy and past::bigsmile:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
And most importantly

SWMBO :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (She who must be obeyed)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back