Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I need to buy a new car and have given a SMART car some serious consideration as it would suit our requirements especially when/if I retire next July (2012).

Are there any funsters who can give me some advice and information on these cars.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, we have a Smart convertible, we use it as our main car and find it ok. We also tow it with the m/home without any problems- just inform your insurance company so it is still covered whilst towing. Ours is petrol and does 40-50mpg, the diesel is "supposed" to do 80 mpg , but if you go on the smart club forum hardly anybody is getting anywhere near that and are disappointed.As far as towing goes we use an aframe from Towtal of Stoke and find them very good- they will fit it while you wait .
Hope this helps, if you want any more info just ask.
Cheers, Dave:Smile:

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Although I am not quite sure what you want to know :winky:

We have one and we love it. Plenty of room for two as the front is more or less just like a normal size car.

The obvious advantages are the low running costs, fuel, tax etc

Ours is our second car and I much prefer using it in comparison to the estate car that we use for our shop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

H14KLY

Free Member
Jul 4, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
hi there, we had a smart 2007 model passion 1lt from new untill last october which we pulled on aframe, it was very nippy and fun to drive unless a little bit of wind hits it then it is very unstable i found, as for mpg well not very impressed with it the most i got from it was 45 and that is driveing manuel and no faster than 50 whilst testing mpg so not impressed with consumption, we now have a new fiat 500 sport which also we have just had aframe fitted. it drives 100% better than smart car in breezy situations and so far i am getting 54 to the gallon.
It is well known on smart forums that it is not very good on mpg for the size of car and engine.
The main reason we gave it up was the instability in breezy conditions, well thats just my opinion any ways there will be many others that will dissagree but ?
What ever you get , all the best

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We are on our second Smart 4/2

We had our last one for 6 years from new.. It was the last of the old breed.. In effect a mk 7...

The new Smart we have had for just a year now.. It is the EHD model.. Smart cabrio.. I.e convertible.. All electric two stage roof .. Goes all the way down..removable side bars that store in a purpose built unit in the drop down boot lid.

The old Smart was 6 speed, the new one ones are 5 speed semi auto or full auto if you switch it. Has a built in pioneer navigation/cd/radio .. Electric windows... Has a problems with the auto clutch due to the new EHD fitted since December 2009... We have had to have the unit replaced under warrenty last year and is due to go in next week for another auto clutch change.. Seems Smart have a known problem and replace it on those that have the car in for the issue.. The EHD turns the engine off automatically when you are at lights.. It turns the engine off at less than 5 mph. .. The engine restarts as soon as you take your foot off the brake. Yes it is as fast as you can move your foot across from the brake to the throtle.

The car is fast and handles well, better than the old shape smart ... Less options.. We had everything from power steering to cruise control and four air bags etc.,.. The latest version has less items as an add on.. No power steering, or extra airbags or cruise control. But where as the old version had air con as standard, the new one has climate control and is better.. Would I buy it again? Yes and no... £30 road tax.. Cheap insurance, ideal run around... Although Sue uses it to travel round trip to work 70 miles round trip twice a week.

Need to test drive... Would like the money for the Brabus.. There is now a diesel and soon this year an electric version.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the ST Bernard:Eeek:

Last edited:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
My son had a Smart Roadster. It was like being sat in a Scalextric, your behind was only six inches off the road.:roflmto: Hell of a laugh to drive!

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have a Smart Fortwo Passion, 04 plate I think, its very cute and tows on an A frame beautifully (we have a Towtal A frame - echo the sentiments above re Towtal). Also have a Brian James trailer for it which is lovely and stable to tow.

Enjoy driving the little car, steering a bit heavy though (non power steering, but they could do with it!!), and when things go wrong "normal" workshops can't fix it.....great fuel economy, fits a weeks shopping in the boot, but we could really do with a bigger car as the dog is a bit big for the boot and squashes up with the passenger!!!

Cheap tax and insurance, but expensive to buy compared to lesser makes. :winky:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a 02 plate 450, and tow it on an aframe. I towed it all over the place last year and didnt know it was on the back. I have had it remapped to improve the gear change and now it goes like stink. MPG is about 45 around town and 60ish on a run.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Merilyn has a Smart cabriolet and she loves it. Nippy, economical (although not as economical as the sales blurb suggests) and easy to park. Bags of room in the front, adequate boot.
Downside? Well there are two different wheel sizes and no spare. Breakdown companies won't come to your assistance in the event of a puncture if you're not carrying tyre sealant. Fiddly to fill screen wash bottle.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Not going to get a sensible answer out of me... I love my Smart! It is a 2009 Passion petrol. SOOOO easy to drive, no faffing with gears (I did put it into manual a couple of times on the last holiday going down some very steep hills) even then no clutch to worry about. I would like to add that all my previous cars were manual and big 4 x 4s and estate cars so it is not that I can only drive a small car or an automatic.
We put it on a Smart trailer behind the van and if space is tight on a pitch or aire you can park back on it easy. We had another car on an A frame and regardless of legality using a trailer does mean less wear on the car.
I just got 52 to the gallon on the last tank, always above 45 to the gallon. It has only done 4000 miles so I am hoping that the last tankful was a sign of things to come! I find it plenty roomy enough, it is the car that I always take shopping, generally I leave Bob at home but that is not because I need the space, I just need MY space, a little bit of me time lol.
This was not our first Smart. The first was a brand new diesel. It was breaking down on the way home from the dealers, it had done under 30 miles. I rejected it as I had completely lost faith in it. Because they lent me a petrol (delivered that same evening and the other taken away) and because they could not get me a diesel in the colours I wanted I decided to go for the petrol. Smart is part of Mercedes so the customer service has been exceptional. They accepted my decision to reject the first car without quibble, this involved a lot of work for them but as they said that was their problem and my satisfaction was utmost in their minds. They even gave me another bouquet of flowers ::bigsmile:. It has had it's first service, fixed price, they lent me a courtesy car and no messing about with licences and such that some dealers insist on.
As I said. I just LOVE my Smart. Jane :thumb:
P.S. Robinsons Mercedes of Norwich was the dealer.
P.P.S. Bob has been allowed to drive it just once. I was a little hungover (Boxing Day) and yes, he loves it too!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We had a Smart and it is fine except for the lack of space. Our dog travelled in the back OK but nowhere to put shopping. On occassions we have needed to take another passenger. We are now running a Chevrolet Matiz as a toad, which is absolutely fine and only a wee bit heavier than the Smart (though not as much FUN)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We considered a smart amongst others but because of the seating limit and the higher cost of a smart4 we settled for a peugeot 107 4 door hatch. rfl £20 pa, 62 mpg , seats 4 and some shopping, a/c and elec windows etc, great little toad :thumb::thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have a 02 plate 450,.... I have had it remapped to improve the gear change and now it goes like stink. MPG is about 45 around town and 60ish on a run.

We have a X reg diesel and find the gear change a problem (Sluggish in the change and often slows down (dead spot) on acceleration, then drops a gear, then changes up and goes OK). We do about 65mpg. I would be interested in the info about the remap.

It is a fantastic car for us. We don't have a dog, but use it to transport water (Clean & Black) when on sites away from services. We can easily get a weeks shopping in it.

I transport ours on a Bantam Trailer as I do not wish to put extra wear and tear on the car on an A Frame. Also it is now illegal to use an A Frame in Spain.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back