Antony1969

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has anybody used or purchased this sat nav , looks on paper pretty good . Any replies appreciated , thanks Antony

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Has anybody used or purchased this sat nav , looks on paper pretty good . Any replies appreciated , thanks Antony

Hi Antony

what particular features look good on paper .. ?

If it's the 'truck mode' then you may be disappointed.

There is no mapping with all road widths. So called truck sat navs depend on using road classification and known width, weight and height restrictions which can all be added as POIs to a 'standard' Sat Nav

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi,
I bought a Snooper Ventura last year and I have to say that in my opinion it is not worth the money. I have used it for two trips down to Spain and I much prefer my old TomTom.

Although updated with latest maps I have encountered many new roads that are not on its database. It has taken me on unsuitable roads and through unsuitable villages on several occasions, once taking me up a mountain road with hairpin bends when another N road would have been much better. Also you cannot download POIs so I am still running TomTom in addition if I need to utilise any of them.

The large screen is useful and I think that it will probably keep me away from any low bridges or weight limits but that is about its usefulness compared to other Satnavs.

I bought it as I thought it would offer routes suitable for the size of vehicle entered. I now realise that this is not possible as it cannot differentiate between types of roads or widths only calculate the fastest/shortest the same as any other satnav....IMO:thumb:

Others may have different opinions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010

bought snooper s7000 for my MH last march used in france and uk did not find it very user friendly, data not up to dated in france, surprised needing payment to update (less than 1 year) Have Garmin for car and access to a Tom Tom unit Probably just me , but found both easier to use.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Now I found oposite with it

bought snooper s7000 for my MH last march used in france and uk did not find it very user friendly, data not up to dated in france, surprised needing payment to update (less than 1 year) Have Garmin for car and access to a Tom Tom unit Probably just me , but found both easier to use.

I purchased a 7000 last year and found it good... I use it on my Winnibago Aspect. I also have. Pioneer and a old Garmin Street Pilot III .. All have good points and all have bad.. But on the whole happy with the S7000.

Bob:thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
How do you get map updates for the snooper?:Doh::Doh:
have to registered and on site and pay 1st for the update. i did not go through the procedure, as my unit is only 8 months old at the time and did not believe wasting my money

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi

We have a Snooper Truckmate S2000, which was bought approx 2 years ago and have found it excellent, you put in the length & height of your vehicle and cos we have an RV set it to lorry/truck. We have used it in France Italy and down to Bavaria not had a problem. When we bought it we got free updates for life, every so often we get email saying there is an update and they send a cd to update snooper.

Very happy with our purchase. :thumb:

Mick

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I find it useful. POIs for TomTom are OK but they're not taken into account when it plans a route so all it can do is warn you when you're near one.

I use the Snooper to get near my destination avoiding narrow roads and low bridges then TomTom to find the site/aire/supermarket/whatever. Works for me:Smile:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
as others have said the snooper s7000 has proved ok for me useing in uk and france. there is a map update available to download i was able to download free of charge no request for payment.

i allso have a expensive pioneer 2 din built in unit and this will not even do a postcode search

my old garmin now very dated but has been a trusty unit

overall the larger s7000 screen is nice to use i prefer it to the others

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi,
I bought a Snooper Ventura last year and I have to say that in my opinion it is not worth the money. I have used it for two trips down to Spain and I much prefer my old TomTom.

Although updated with latest maps I have encountered many new roads that are not on its database. It has taken me on unsuitable roads and through unsuitable villages on several occasions, once taking me up a mountain road with hairpin bends when another N road would have been much better. Also you cannot download POIs so I am still running TomTom in addition if I need to utilise any of them.

The large screen is useful and I think that it will probably keep me away from any low bridges or weight limits but that is about its usefulness compared to other Satnavs.

I bought it as I thought it would offer routes suitable for the size of vehicle entered. I now realise that this is not possible as it cannot differentiate between types of roads or widths only calculate the fastest/shortest the same as any other satnav....IMO:thumb:

Others may have different opinions

I have also found the Garmin Nuvi 5000 which is sold as suitable for trucks and RVs to take me on unsuitable roads. The only advantage I can see is the larger screen.

In Spain it also took me off a good N road through a steep little village where I was forced to go the wrong way around a small roundabout as it was to tight to negotiate with the Motorhome and trailer. This was to cut a corner on otherwise good N roads.

It tried to route me through the Mousetrap (6ft 6" and steep hill) at Griesbeck in the Lakes to also cut a corner.

John

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
In Spain it also took me off a good N road through a steep little village where I was forced to go the wrong way around a small roundabout as it was to tight to negotiate with the Motorhome and trailer. This was to cut a corner on otherwise good N roads.

John

That is exactly the same as my problems with Snooper. Each time I have reluctantly turned off thinking maybe it is routing me past a low bridge or width restriction. Now I just ignore it :Doh:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have the snooper s600 which has the 7" screen but no tv as we didnt need it and I must say that as we have only had it a month and it has not taken us down a narrow road yet , maybe that's coincidence as we havent used it abroad yet, the only thing I am dissapointed with is not being able download any POI's but as it has lots it doesnt worry me too much, much more than my old tom tom had with the exception of vets.
I asked snooper if I could do this and they said that if I sent them the POI's they would do it for me but I have no idea how to do this so search on my phone for vets instead

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back