chevrolet 6.5 (1 Viewer)

Les Green

Free Member
Dec 2, 2010
Funster No
I have a 96 Fleetwood with the 6.5 v8 diesel and need to replace the alternator, I am new to this engine and would be grateful for any tips on the belt change, tensioner etc. with thanks Les

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Les and welcome.

you'll have more luck posting this on our sister site RVOC.

free to join and aimed at RV's and 5th wheels.

bit slower responses than here but you will get some valuable info.

click here.... RVOC

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Fully agree

Pop over the fence and join us for a chat.. All yank owners.. More serious stuff, mainly about issues of owning an RV... I am sure you will get thecinfo you need. many of the RV owners on MHF are also on the RVOC and a lot more. www.RVOC.co.uk ... Hope to see you on our side ofthe fence soon

Regards

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I have a 96 Fleetwood with the 6.5 v8 diesel and need to replace the alternator, I am new to this engine and would be grateful for any tips on the belt change, tensioner etc. with thanks Les

Changing the belt on a 6.5 is a doddle.:thumb:
The hardest part is being VERY carefull to take note (possibly sketch) the path of the belt around the multitude of pulleys.

If you take the engine hatch off, inside the RV, stand over the engine and look forward.
At the front of the engine, on top, and slightly right (passenger side) is the tensioner.
On the front end of the spring loaded tensioner is a square socket into which will rather handily fit a 1/2" drive short socket extension. Simply fit a rachet/T bar and twist to take off the spring tension and the belt will just slip off.:thumb:

We threw a belt in France years ago and had to wait a week for one to be delivered to the campsite. That was a real bummer with 30 deg + and a fantastic pool !:ROFLMAO:
Took me 10 minutes to replace it and we set off home the next day. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And the motto of that little story is
Anyone?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And the motto of that little story is
Anyone?

Indeed.. goes without say :winky:

Just for interest, it's exactly the same procedure on the B series 5.9lt Cummins diesel .. except it's under the bed.. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
My friend who used to run a fleet of coaches used to tape up out of the way spare belt so if one went it was easy to slip new one on

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back