Oh Dear... another MUST HAVE gadget... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just as I am trying to wean myself off my gadget dependency I find the existence of another "must have" device...

Called "MiFi" it would allow me to take my data sim card out of my Sony Vaio laptop (or your internet dongle), put it in the new thingy and "Bob´s Your Uncle" you have a private wi-fi network around you for up to five connections.

So, apart from personal use in the Wagon where I could have five different wi-fi devices working through the one 3G connection, I could also offer wi-fi to Motorhome Fun visitors to Quinta Majay... (How much do the CCC charge?)

Anyone have first hand experience of the Novatel Mifi thingy? (I have checked the web reviews but who is writing them I ask.)

JJ

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Save money, set up a virtual network with the Sony ..

that's what I did in the RV to share the same connection with Jan

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have been thinking about one of these for the iPad. It would come in handy when in the van. However, the cost of use when abroad would be horrendous!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Bryan Admin has/had one I believe.

What phone you got again JJ and do ya recommend it?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Save money, set up a virtual network with the Sony ..

that's what I did in the RV to share the same connection with Jan

How much do you charge for teaching idiots how to set up VPNs?

I have been thinking about one of these for the iPad. It would come in handy when in the van. However, the cost of use when abroad would be horrendous!

Ok for me in Portugal as I have a contract (unlimited at 5mbs where possible) with Vodafone Portugal.. :thumb:

JJ

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Bryan Admin has/had one I believe.

What phone you got again JJ and do ya recommend it?

I have a Nokia E72 smartphone (connected in the UK to T-Mobile) and I recommend both of them John. Unlimited data, 200 minutes talking and unlimited texts for 19 pounds a month or maybe 29 pounds, can´t remember, sorry)

JJ

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
The trouble with an ad-hoc network connection is that both laptops need to be on for the second to see the internet.

I do have a mi-fi dongle and it's great (in the uk)

Very easy to use.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have the 3 equivalent. It has to be the best £49.99 I have spent in a long time. Its kept the wife quite. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No longer is she huffing and puffing that she cant use her laptop to get on to Facebook while I am doing the very important job of checking the forum posts. :thumb::thumb:

Being serious I have found it to be much more convenient than the dongle, you can place it where you get the best signal. Could be half way up a tree in Quinta JJ. I am sure that it gets a stronger signal than the dongle because the speed I have been getting has been noticably faster. Maybe it has a better ariel.

At present it is locked to 3 whereas the dongle was unlocked and I could use any sim. If I need to go on Vodafone then it will be back to the dongle.

Overall I am very happy with it.

Lunarman

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The trouble with an ad-hoc network connection is that both laptops need to be on for the second to see the internet.

I do have a mi-fi dongle and it's great (in the uk)

Very easy to use.

Thanks Bryan... I would want to allow "guests" to use the connection without my laptop being on so it looks like I can justify the purchase of a new gismo after all... Jim had me worried there for a moment...

I have several friends touring in their vans and they won´t join me at any locations if there is no internet connection... with a Mifi I could say "Use mine..."

See how far I go to try to get people to be my friends!

JJ :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

yes, of course,

but is that not the idea .. two or more on at the same time .. ?

Does your MIFI dongle work with your lappy shudown ???

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
yes, of course,

but is that not the idea .. two or more on at the same time .. ?

Does your MIFI dongle work with your lappy shudown ???

I think is does Jim... it is a stand alone, battery powered router...

JJ

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The MiFi is a standalone device that is not tethered to any other device. As long as it is switched on and can get a signal it becomes a Wifi Access point

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is the word "dongle" that can cause misunderstandings! I do not need a "dongle" as my laptop has a sim card slot for mobile 3G internet.

People ask where my "dongle" is and I get embarrassed...:Blush:

I guess the Mifi "thingy" should be called a mobile, battery powered 3G router...

an MBP3GR for short... :ROFLMAO:

JJ

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone have first hand experience of the Novatel Mifi thingy? (I have checked the web reviews but who is writing them I ask.)
JJ

I'm pretty sure Dame Penelope has one.

Not offering free WiFi must be the trick though when it's on mobile.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I'm pretty sure Dame Penelope has one.

Not offering free WiFi must be the trick though when it's on mobile.

... well as my mobile data package is "unlimited" and on a fixed price, I thought I might charge Funsters a fee, say one Fray Bentos Steak and Ale pie for two hours internet and save on my food bills...:ROFLMAO:

JJ

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
ofcourse,

but I thought Bryan had a usb mifi dongle .. my mistake

I have a '3' mifi device. They can be unlocked so that any sim will work in them. Unlocking also gives you extra control over the device that is locked away if you don't unlock it.

JJ, be careful with the 'unlimited' data package moniker.

They almost always have a 'fair usage policy' and unlimited can in reality mean 3gb per month.

hth
Bryan

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi
I have been using a Huawei mifi on the 3 network when in the UK and as has been said it works well. I have also used it suspended on the top of my flag pole when the signal coming in has been weak, it does help. Mine is locked to the 3 network, you would need to get an unlocked one (or have one unlocked) to use it on another network. I see the unlocked ones are £91 from Amazon. For others to use it you would just have to give them the access code provided.
Sorry no experience of the Novatel one but it looks more expensive.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It is the word "dongle" that can cause misunderstandings! I do not need a "dongle" as my laptop has a sim card slot for mobile 3G internet.

People ask where my "dongle" is and I get embarrassed...:Blush:

I guess the Mifi "thingy" should be called a mobile, battery powered 3G router...

an MBP3GR for short... :ROFLMAO:

JJ

I also have the small Sony with the sim card slot .. that was what I used when I set up the ad hoc network for Jan to use in the RV ..

can't say I didn't try to save you a few bob... which you could use for kindling :winky:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I see the unlocked ones are £91 from Amazon.
Or cheaper as the Zoom Travel Router from Maplins. About £70 unlocked.

Would these work with Apples Air Print?

They are standard wifi - nothing special. The special bit is the firmware to use the dongle as a modem.
TP Link and one or two others also have 3G USB Modem connections on their routers. The idea being that you leave a dongle plugged in so that if the landline fails they switch over to 3G automatically.
Used the Zoom for a couple of years now in Tenerife, Spain, UK, Germany etc. No problems so far. Although Wireless-n, the zoom maxes out at 7Mb. Its enough for three or so users!
Patrick

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have been using a 3 Mifi - Huawei E5830 for just over a year - we first had 3gb for £7.50 per month but have just increased to 15gb for £15.00 as we are using more now that we have both retired and are using the laptops more often. It is great both being able to use the internet at the same time, as has been said previously, we just move it around to get the best signal wherever we might be. However, it does not run as long as we would like on it's own battery so we plug into ac supply.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I can't wait!

What's more it appears I have "earnt" enough Vodafone Portugal bonus points to be able to get one of these thingies at a very affordable price... (I'll believe it when I see it...)

Thanks everyone for your input...

JJ :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back