Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Donot own one yet
Exp
Hi
Please forgive me if this has been covered.
I am interested in buying a 1998 Symphony 2 Ltr petrol but I would like to have confirmed as to what I may get wth regards to mpg,also what is the difference compared to the diesel. I have seen various claims on the web,but if anybody could give me first hand figures that would be great.
Thank you John

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Please forgive me if this has been covered.
I am interested in buying a 1998 Symphony 2 Ltr petrol but I would like to have confirmed as to what I may get wth regards to mpg,also what is the difference compared to the diesel. I have seen various claims on the web,but if anybody could give me first hand figures that would be great.
Thank you John

Hi John
I cant help with that particular MH, but any Diesel returns more MPG than a Petrol Vehicle. Pete :thumb::thumb:

But having said that somebody will prove me wrong.

OP
OP
O

onegrasmere

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Donot own one yet
Exp
M.P.G

Hi Pete
One of the sites I had a look at was the Auto-Sleeper Owners Club-Technical Group,and this suggests the best for diesel is 29 m.p.g. and 27 m.p.g.for the petrol model I feel as though these figures are a little out,that was why I hoped somebody maybe able to confirm.
Thank you John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
MPG

I am a newbie too and own an Autosleeper Ravenna. Have looked at Google images of an Autosleeper Symphony and am confused as one image shows a van conversion whilst another shows a coach built. I am not able to comment on a van conversion but my Autosleeper coachbuilt is a petrol with an lpg conversion.
I am well pleased with the performance of the 2.0 ltr petrol engine and with the performance when using lpg. I didn't buy a racing car and I don't expect my van to perform like a car going up hills (Alps or not) I have gears and am not afraid to use them.
I am able to achieve an average of 20 mpg on a holiday run using petrol only. (Its not always easy to get lpg at a sensible price). Quite rightly you do not say what the purchase price of your van will be but compare it to similar models in the age and size range of similar autosleepers and providing it is less than the equivalent in a diesel then when you come to sell it the resale value will be proportionately the same.
Also from my limited experience I cannot praise autosleepers highly enough. I am glad in my ignorance and innocence I bought one and intend to keep it for as long as I can. (Another thought if you are intending keeping it for a long time then the resale value becomes less important as the years roll on)
Hope this helps.:thumb:

Norman

masuk

Free Member
Sep 22, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
autosleeper amethyst
Exp
Hi John,if it helps my autosleeper amethyst 1996 diesel averages 28 mpg with careful driving.I used to have a well looked after 2001 2ltr petrol/lpg factory converted swb transit for work.It never carried heavy loads and driven sensibly that produced 22mpg on petrol. 17on lpg.With lpg costing half the price of petrol.that translated into 34mpg.
With all due respect.in the real world ,I would think a fully laden petrol based motorhome,made ready for a trip, would struggle to produce 27 mpg.
regards mike.

OP
OP
O

onegrasmere

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Donot own one yet
Exp
Hi.
Thank you for all the replies and feedback,as I thought the figures I had seen on some web sites were very optimistic.
I realize I am new to the forum and I do not want to appear pushy, but would it be an possible for owners to list there average M.P.G. to include, petrol, diesel, and l.p.g. On there particular make of motorhome.
If this is allready being done I appologize for suggesting it.
I have had alook through the forum but not found any information if I have missed the area to look, could I be pointed in the correct direction.
Thank you
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think you will find that mpg can vary according to age of vehicle older engines tend to not perform as economically as newer engines but at the end of the day it will depend on what weight is in there and how it is loaded and wether the driver drives with a 'slipper' or 'lead boot' or 'comfy shoe'.
Most motorhomers class layout and usefulness to themselves as more important than mpg and hope they arrive at a motorhome that suits them which returns a reasonable mpg.
Mpg can vary from day to day with a motorhome dependant on the weather (head wind can reduce mpg dramatically) and how many hills you might 'climb' up and down during the trip.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back