Map Makers: Your Forum needs YOU !! (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim has kindly provided this forum for maps, now what we need to do is populate it .. :Smile:

I've dusted off a few old ones and added but we need more member generated maps ..

Google maps are easy and fun to make, if your unsure or need a hand just shout out .. Olley is a good teacher :roflmto:

Map Suggestions ..

Your trip to France, Portugal, Spain, USA, etc etc ..

Trace the route on the map, then add

* overnight stopping points
* parking
* sites you stayed at
* local information, ie nearest supermarket, ATM, etc
* add photos to the POIs

You can have it open collaboration, closed or invite another to help.. .. the choice is yours..

Note to Jim.. perhaps you could make this a sticky ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim,

Somewhere I have a list of every dealer in the UK and what they sell, it is info that Sian collated last year. Just thinking, that would make a good map, especially if the main dealerships included, so you could see where your nearest Hymer or Swift dealer was etc. Or is there one like it already out there?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim,

Somewhere I have a list of every dealer in the UK and what they sell, it is info that Sian collated last year. Just thinking, that would make a good map, especially if the main dealerships included, so you could see where your nearest Hymer or Swift dealer was etc. Or is there one like it already out there?

Great idea Jim.. I haven't seen any like it.

If you want assistance I'm more than happy to help collate.

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Great idea Jim! :thumb:

I've got our last 4 years on Microsoft Autoroute - I'll see what I can do about putting them on Google Maps.

Any tips on how to do it? :Smile:

Hi Marie

No quick way of transferring the routes I'm afraid, but if you have a lot of POIs you could save them from Autoroute, then convert to KML format and upload to your Google map. I use GPS Babel for converting POI formats.

However, If you only a few POIs it's probably not worth the effort of converting to upload.

You can add pictures to the POIs simply by copy pasting the url from you web album into the text box of the POI.

POIs can be assigned different flags .. that's entirely at your discretion.. when you create the POI click on the icon and you will see a selection, just choose the most suitable.

Good luck ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I will try and give it a go Jim.

Might need a lesson on how to do it.

Sonja

Thats the spirit.. have a go yourself , create a map, play about with the features, get a feel for it, add some pios, then you can save or just delete and start afresh..

There is a google map tutorial for beginners when you open maps.. also a fairly useful help section.. when or if you need help just post here ..

thanks

jim

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Will Do Jim.

I will put it on my to do list so hopefully by the end of the week I should have something.

Sonja

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
What a great idea, will try and work out how to do it. though so far I have not been many places...

David

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good idea. We've been putting maps on to our blog - where should they go on the forum?

Thanks.. :Smile:

just start a new thread in this forum ( Motorhome Maps ) ..
Put the title of your map as the topic and a link to the map in the message box with any other pertinent information..

Example

Topic: Spain Trip
Map link

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just loaded my first attempt.

OK Jim had a try but photos not loading to my marks. Some thing I am doing wrong I'm sure. Loaded my photos to Picasa, copied link but they wont appear. Any ideas? Is there a size limit?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Did you select "Rich text" and the click the picture icon?

Olley

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just loaded my first attempt.

OK Jim had a try but photos not loading to my marks. Some thing I am doing wrong I'm sure. Loaded my photos to Picasa, copied link but they wont appear. Any ideas? Is there a size limit?

As suggested by Olley

EDIT EDIT

Sorry, I just remembered :Doh:

You need to copy the html code from the Picasa picture ,( Embed Image ) and paste into the 'edit html' box of the placemark.

NOT the link ..

Re size, there is no limit but big ones obscure the map view. In Picasa, under the Embed Image box there is a drop down menu to select picture size..

I've just tested to make sure it works ..

Bawdsey Quay

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=51.990998,1.395049&spn=0.006329,0.013583&z=16&msid=207590977793691629247.000499b5d39ae34b27b31

see attached

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 14
  • screenshot_02.jpg
    screenshot_02.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
WOW !!!!!

Hi everyone

Spotted this thread whilst lurking.

I’m working on new site, still very much in development but I thought I should post it anyway.

www.nomadgb.co.uk

It started out as a map of all the points I was interested in but has expanded a little since then. I’m looking for ideas for what else to add to the maps.

There will be a lot more walks I hope and I’m currently moving down the country checking out overnight stops as I go.

Welcome Nomad ! what a fantastic site ! Bookmarked already !
But it would be useful to know what all the various symbols mean, some are obvious but others.....

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Durrrr !

Using a laptop !!! Just worked out the symbols by deleting them one at a time !:thumb:

Now get your arse over the Channel and start on France ! You have 2 weeks !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I have used Autoroute from way back in 2003 which I think was before phones got all GPssy.

Does anyone know how to make use of the google created maps when offline in the same way that Autoroute can make use of mapping, routing and POIs?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi everyone
I’m working on new site, still very much in development but I thought I should post it anyway.
www.nomadgb.co.uk
It started out as a map of all the points I was interested in but has expanded a little since then. I’m looking for ideas for what else to add to the maps.
There will be a lot more walks I hope and I’m currently moving down the country checking out overnight stops as I go.

Welcome to Fun, on here unlike the other one you joined, no one will delete your links like the darkside did, how sad and pathetic was that.

Welcome:thumb:

Peter

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi everyone

www.nomadgb.co.uk

Hi Nomad, I just had a butchers at your web site............good stuff:thumb:

Go on, pay the tenner and join, you know you want to:winky:

Well done :thumb:::bigsmile:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I started mapping out our trips on Google Earth. Easy enough to place markers on locations but I tried drawing the route taken and it would only do straight lines! :Sad:
I haven't tried My Places in Google maps. Will give it a go.:winky:
M&A:Smile:::bigsmile:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
It looks like someone on the dark side has offered to pay his subs

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You see, we are not all bad on there! :roflmto:
I'm just glad that Rita and I are not the only thoughtful bu##ers on Facts. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

No not all Jock ::bigsmile:yes, one member did offer to pay his subs, but his thread got some very nasty comments, different members said he had a bloody cheek: should be banned: had no principles: used sleazy cheapskate implementation: and his map was inaccurate and a waste of time. :RollEyes: nice way to speak to a new member. :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Nomad, that's a nice map. I'll pay you a tenner for a link to this forum from it:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
No not all Jock ::bigsmile:yes, one member did offer to pay his subs, but his thread got some very nasty comments, different members said he had a bloody cheek: should be banned: had no principles: used sleazy cheapskate implementation: and his map was inaccurate and a waste of time. :RollEyes: nice way to speak to a new member. :ROFLMAO:

Nothing changes on there, still the same old wingers, moaners and pathetic censoring of posts going on. Nomad had his description of where his website could be found deleted.

One minute I am the greatest thing since sliced bread according to one poster, next minute he will never deal with me again because I would not post an order to France on an unverified credit card. My staff don't know him and I am banned so no chance of asking me! Should have been a member of Fun:thumb:

A dealer made a funny comment about being a new Hymer dealer and then got thoroughly slagged off by a number of posters. He even apologised and then got more flack for doing so.

How to make friends :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
That almost makes me ashamed to be associated with Facts Jim. :cry:

Regards,

Jock.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
That almost makes me ashamed to be associated with Facts Jim. :cry:

Regards,

Jock.

It only takes a couple to set the whole tone, but its not that bad Jock. There are many, many nice people on Facts as you well know. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back