Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Shell is around 82p and I was in Flogas today, its only 71p there but its going up 9p next week so presumably Shell will go up too.:Sad: The country is finished i tell you, could not buy veg oil tonight as the shelves are empty, people are buying it to put in cars, great by putting diesel up less afable people cant afford to even fry food now, they will have to put the cooking oiul up to stop people using it!!!!!!! And they never even use lube thats what annoys me!!!!!:Eeek:

Zoltan Gaz66

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Funster No
Once we reach spring the gas prices will return to sensible levels. Much of this would appear to be seasonal demand
Your are right about it being the end of the world though ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
for me, and many others, once it gets to 85% of petrol cost it will become unviable.

8.5mpg on gas.
10mpg on petrol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Makes me glad i did not invest in an LPG conversion

Makes me very glad that i did not spend the £4k to have my V10 6.8 ltr Ford Triton petrol engine converted last year... I would never see a return on the investment.. Ok next buyer would, but for that sort of money i can still buy a lot of fuel.....

To day at Hurst Green on the A 21... Road to Hastings... LPG was 84.9p per ltr...

At this rate it is cheaper to fill in France when we go over at the start of April... Still have an almost full tank for heating/cooking .. And fridge when on the move.

Bob:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
local, and only, lpg round here was 69.9 on wednesday and has been for a week or two.

today...74.5ltr

cant decide whether to fill now or wait and see if the cost drops when winter demand drops :Sad:

Zoltan Gaz66

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Funster No
Pretty P'eed off that I have just ordered a tank and some other bits to convert my Global warmer :(

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
At this rate I will have to think about knocking the wifes house keeping down from £30 a week to £20..

Or get rid of one of them.. :RollEyes: ::bigsmile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
for me, and many others, once it gets to 85% of petrol cost it will become unviable.

8.5mpg on gas.
10mpg on petrol.

Thanks for that I have found it difficult to do a comparison. My petrol consumption is 20mpg and my lpg seems to be about 15mpg.
ASDA in Aberdeen is still selling lpg at 60.7p whilst locally it is 79.9p but further north it has gone above 80.9p and the places selling it are few and far between.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
What really annoys me :Angry::Angry: is that I've always been lead to believe that LPG was a bi or waste product from the production of petrol, we are doing petroleum companies a favour to get rid of it for them, it should be free :thumb:

Mick

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Even with my massive CWF discount works out at 72p a litre.

I have had my money back now but would think twice now if doing it again as LPG prices rise, up till now been paying well under half the price of petriol for LPG.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How much would it cost to convert an RV to LPG that would give you a decent range of say 300 to 400 miles,anything less wouldnt be practical as you would spend half your time looking for gas stations.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Anyone know what the tax component of the price of LPG is ?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
How much would it cost to convert an RV to LPG that would give you a decent range of say 300 to 400 miles,anything less wouldnt be practical as you would spend half your time looking for gas stations.

Cost me in 2006/7 just over £2500 for ca$h.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Here in Spain, Autogas is 0.668 Litre, bottled gas is 0.52 litre.

A refill bottle of gas is 13.70€ for 26.5 litres or 12.5kg. (CESPA aluminium)

LPG stations are so far apart, I have changed to using a bottle for my domestic consumption while here.

John

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Thanks John,what range would that give you realisticly ?.

Also wondering what the conversion would cost at todays prices.

3 x 100 litlre tanks, never run em to empty if I can help it as have issues running well on petrol not cured yet.

I can only fill to 80% full so 240 litres at say 6 to 7 mpg per gallon.

As you know I will be adding tanks in near future.

Done 9K plus on lpg almost constantly towing a toad

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
What really annoys me :Angry::Angry: is that I've always been lead to believe that LPG was a bi or waste product from the production of petrol, we are doing petroleum companies a favour to get rid of it for them, it should be free :thumb:

Mick

Not true at all, LPG isn`t a bi product of anything, so whoever told you that has misled you.

Lpg is a natrual product, the refining process involves separating propane and butane, you can also refine it from crude oil.

As for being free, in your dreams, HM customs and excise are here to take money off you not give it out.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Once we reach spring the gas prices will return to sensible levels. Much of this would appear to be seasonal demand
Your are right about it being the end of the world though ::bigsmile:

Considering the huge disaster created by the banks and the politicians with the reulting black hole in our finances I can only complement you on your superb optimism and hope that you are right.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks John,what range would that give you realisticly ?.

Also wondering what the conversion would cost at todays prices.

i think its a very similar price today Dave, as you know, things do become cheaper as they become more available.

a proper conversion, with engine management module, for a triton V10 is around £3500.....same as 6750 miles on petrol so by my rough calculations around 17500 miles on gas it should have paid for itself :Eeek:......conversion cost + gas to do 17500`miles....£10500

assuming 8mpg on gas...10 mpg on petrol.

if this is wrong, answers on a postcard to......my maths teacher. :roflmto:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
i think its a very similar price today Dave, as you know, things do become cheaper as they become more available.

a proper conversion, with engine management module, for a triton V10 is around £3500.....same as 6750 miles on petrol so by my rough calculations around 17500 miles on gas it should have paid for itself :Eeek:......conversion cost + gas to do 17500`miles....£10500

assuming 8mpg on gas...10 mpg on petrol.

if this is wrong, answers on a postcard to......my maths teacher. :roflmto:
And that is why I have stuck with my old Cummins. Burning bio at .35 per litre for £10500 I just worked out I could travel 99056 miles for the same money. As a bonus the engine would just be getting run in by then.
Have never been able to understand why people buy petrol engined RVs, but am willing to be convinced if anyone wishes to try.:winky:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Dave/John, Country Wide, that's who you use for LPG if memory serves?

What's the score, I seem to remeber you need an account, can anyone get or is it a buisness thing?

Just asking as sod law we're about ready a fill up for the hab tank and there is a Country Wide need by.....

And Dave, yes we're dead happy running a diesel RV, and that's me a confirmed anti diesel type historically, diesel company cars years ago put me right off but in Winne, we love it, can't bring myself to put bio in but:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
If you contact me with name and address i will get you best rate, did it for Dave and few others on fun (you need an account)

Of course I would go diesel now but bought my RV nearly 6 years ago now when things were different, but the extra weight and licence is still a problem

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave/John, Country Wide, that's who you use for LPG if memory serves?

What's the score, I seem to remeber you need an account, can anyone get or is it a buisness thing?

Just asking as sod law we're about ready a fill up for the hab tank and there is a Country Wide need by.....

And Dave, yes we're dead happy running a diesel RV, and that's me a confirmed anti diesel type historically, diesel company cars years ago put me right off but in Winne, we love it, can't bring myself to put bio in but:ROFLMAO::thumb:
If its a Chevy engine...dont be tempted.
Would only recomend Cummins B series,older Mercs,older VWs,pre common rail Fiats.
There is a plus side to running old motors.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I would not put it in to a chevy either

I would also say do not consider it Simon.. The newer engine in you Winnibago would just not cope and you would soon have issues.

I coated out an LPG conversion on our Winnibago.. But as we are a light weight compared to a lot..the E350 chassis.. Still with the 6.8 V10 Triton engine.. We would never see a return on the investment. We do not do a high mileage each year and we only keep the RV for around 5 years, so only the next owner would benefit from me laying out the money. I can cruise all day long at 55 mph at 1,800 rpm.. I get a good return mpg wise considering it is a yank.

Bob:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I would also say do not consider it Simon.. The newer engine in you Winnibago would just not cope and you would soon have issues.

Have to say it was just a passing comment re bio as for me I wouldn't concider it unless presented with irrifutable proof it would work in my motor and I'd need many people with high (100k+) mileages too, I'm happy to pay the fuel price and remain in my comfort zone, so to speak.

As to LPG in engines, I'm afraid my personnal opinion is the same as bio frankley, each to their own but not for me.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Bio is recomended by SOME engine manufacurers, Cummins,VW and Mercedes,they dont call it Bio,they call it RME Rapeseed Methyl Ester.
No engine manufacturer would recomend anything that would make there waranty invalid,or do harm to the engine.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
You can't buy diesel at UK pumps that hasn't got at least 5% bio.
Rudolf (Diesel), the inventor designed the thing to run on 100% bio - peanut oil to be exact.
The only real issues are about waxing. If that has been done effectively then even a common rail will run happily on bio.
Not sure that it is "the future" as there isn't enough used raw material around to make the stuff and virgin veg oil is too expensive as it competes with food usage. Also, a lot of it is palm oil from Malaysia which is encouraging stripping out the rain forests.

Fuel of the future - my money would be on algae. Very efficient in manufacture at taking out CO2 and can be used to scrub toxic emmissions from power stations. Won't be this year, though.
Patrick

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know we are going a bit off post here,but it is of interest.
Regarding the 5% bio thats already in UK fuel,that has to rise yearly by EU laws,so eventualy you will all be running diesels on the stuff.
Re common rail engines running neat bio, there is a magic eye in some pumps which shuts the motor down if it cant see through the fuel. This is to stop you running on contaminated fuel.
Bio has a yellowish colour so common rail pumps think the fuel is contaminated.
In my opinion biofuel is the only way to go with big diesels.Am now 100% bio with all 3 vehicles,its the only way I could afford to run em.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back