our new fiver, cart before the horse? (2 Viewers)

fixitjohn

Free Member
May 5, 2010
telford
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
8yrs
We bought our compact 22ft fiver from calder leisure at the lincoln show in september, as it was a display model it was also on view at the nec, so we had to wait until after then before we could take delivery.
Also one important accessory was needed, the navara was still not ready at nissan in germany, and would be a couple of months! that was a real problem as there would be a lot to do fitting all my toys before winter set in, (and oh boy has it!) calder leisure came to our rescue and brought it to our house in the midlands at no charge! so I have done all of the sat cable runs, fitted the oyster, inverter with crossover switch, water filter etc, just in time ready for our winter break in spain.
what a wonderful lot they are up there at calder, thankyou!
now all we need is the darn nav.:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
All these people buying new toys,, what ressesion.. :winky:

Enjoy your new toy.. :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Good luck with the Navara (youll need it:Doh:)

now now dont go upsetting the man before he has even got it - I dont

Hope you have enjoyable travels with your new toys, which way are you going to spain?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Exciting times and journeys ahead, enjoy every minute

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Well done from buying from a great dealer, Alex and his family are the very best, trust them (no relation). I have had the very best service from these guys and if and when I need a new 5er that's where I'd go. BTW take no notice of Dazzer because if it's not USA he's not interested ( I think he's into bling actually:ROFLMAO:. The Nav will do the job, we have done 1000's of miles throughout Europe up lot of mountains, 30K on the Nav and no probs. Ok I do not need to drive at 80 mph, 55 does me OK and 18 mph is fine, the yanks do? 9, 10 at push?
Happy travels, read the blogs
JK

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Well done from buying from a great dealer, Alex and his family are the very best, trust them (no relation). I have had the very best service from these guys and if and when I need a new 5er that's where I'd go. BTW take no notice of Dazzer because if it's not USA he's not interested ( I think he's into bling actually:ROFLMAO:. The Nav will do the job, we have done 1000's of miles throughout Europe up lot of mountains, 30K on the Nav and no probs. Ok I do not need to drive at 80 mph, 55 does me OK and 18 mph is fine, the yanks do? 9, 10 at push?
JK

I am sure you don't mean 18 MPH ???????:ROFLMAO:
Some Yank trucks do much more than 10 MPG !!!:thumb: We get 17 mpg with 30 ft 5er with our 1999 Ram and with our 06 Ram we get better (man trans.)----- running the' 06 in the 'States empty on a long run we got 28 miles per US gal at 60 mph-----------we don't run fast--we have time to smell the roses ---------we just run with the trucks here!!
Nigel & Pamala

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
JK

Not true. Ive owned a Navara but to be honest ive never tried to pull a 5er with one, the one I had was 1 year old and had 10k miles on the clock and was bought to tow a trailer with an access platform on it. I owned it for 6 months but gave up towing the trailer with it as it simply wasnt up to the job :Angry:. Tried a Mitzy Warrior :Doh: which wasnt much better and finally a Ford Ranger :Smile: which was much better but a bit agricultural.:Doh:

Bought the F150 Lightning after driving one in the USA with a 35ft 5er on the back. It tows the trailer and access platform without trying, does around 15-20mpg around town and more on the motorway with no noticable difference in fuel consumption with the trailer on the back. Its what is commonly known as the right tool for the job :thumb:

Try knocking a 6 inch nail in with a pin hammer, then try using a decent 22oz claw hammer to do the same job........nuff said :thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Not true. Ive owned a Navara but to be honest ive never tried to pull a 5er with one, the one I had was 1 year old and had 10k miles on the clock and was bought to tow a trailer with an access platform on it. I owned it for 6 months but gave up towing the trailer with it as it simply wasnt up to the job :Angry:. Tried a Mitzy Warrior :Doh: which wasnt much better and finally a Ford Ranger :Smile: which was much better but a bit agricultural.:Doh:

Bought the F150 Lightning after driving one in the USA with a 35ft 5er on the back. It tows the trailer and access platform without trying, does around 15-20mpg around town and more on the motorway with no noticable difference in fuel consumption with the trailer on the back. Its what is commonly known as the right tool for the job :thumb:

Try knocking a 6 inch nail in with a pin hammer, then try using a decent 22oz claw hammer to do the same job........nuff said :thumb:

As LJK Setright used to say - Enough is never enough, more than enough is sufficient

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Daz,
There are a couple of other things, you probably had a D22, which were crap and the engines on them lasted 30K. So I agree on that one. D40 is a much better machine. Mine is 210 BHP and with exta air has no problem with my 3.6 ton 5er (big enough for me) Also 34 mpg on a solo run is OK.
Other BIG thing is parking. Try driving a yank into say Cadiz, or Almeria over here in Spain, you will only end up driving out again because it will not fit in the underground car parks, get the bus, might as well have a MH and no car. How about shopping at Sainsburys in UK, takes up ALL the parking space so other peolple can't open their doors.
BTW it's still also a sujective thing but I can assure anyone out there that the Nav is good enough, easy to repair (not yet but there are lots of Nissan garages all over the world, havn't seen many Dodge places in Sapin:Eeek:) and with the leather, ac etc and £18k new, pre reg, a money well spent.
:Smile:
JK

OP
OP
F

fixitjohn

Free Member
May 5, 2010
telford
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
8yrs
got the horse now

:Smile: Nissan have put back production of navaras until april 2011! this includes germany & the uk so no LHD possible after all. got one 160 miles away from us from a very impressive van garage in surrey! it was an honest to goodness genuine "facelift" 2010 190 bhp tekna and NO fibs trying to move the old stock, there are lots of those around....including
a certain garage in chepstow that even after a telephone call describing the model as the 190 bhp, it was in fact an import from cyprus! doh!
anyway if anyone is looking for an automatic tekna there are a couple left if they want the address I would reccomend this garage on price and honesty.:thumb: HAPPY! now where is that nice mild winter weather so we can get the truck up to calder?

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Good luck with it all fixitjohn. Hope you're soon able to travel to pick up your 5er - you can then start using it. ::bigsmile:

We've had our 5er and Mitsibishi L200 for 3.5 years now and still love it as much as the first day we saw it. We've just spent the weekend in it at our seasonal pitch. We use it all year and have done lots of travelling with no problems.

Gill

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
JK

I believe you probably meant 18mpg! According to the Nav computer I usually get 20+mpg. Just once driving back from the British GP at Silverstone 90% motorway it recorded 26. The Nav is chipped though and manual whereas Calder recommend the auto.

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
Good luck with it all fixitjohn. Hope you're soon able to travel to pick up your 5er - you can then start using it. ::bigsmile:

We've had our 5er and Mitsibishi L200 for 3.5 years now and still love it as much as the first day we saw it. We've just spent the weekend in it at our seasonal pitch. We use it all year and have done lots of travelling with no problems.

Gill

Interested in your mention of seasonal pitch. Do you know whether the Big Pitch guide lists any? (as I'm toying with getting one). We've briefly looked at CC & C&CC lists but that's all.

:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Only problem with the older navs is the oil - nissan had their own oil for that...a grade not found in local garages, or motor factors. From memory it was 7.5w. If you lived in cold climates you could get away with the thinner 5w grade, warmer the thicker 10w grade. Wrong combination and the bottom end would pack up.

That and renault messing with drive shafts/half shafts!

Go for the Titan, the navs' big brother! All Nissan!:thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Interested in your mention of seasonal pitch. Do you know whether the Big Pitch guide lists any? (as I'm toying with getting one). We've briefly looked at CC & C&CC lists but that's all.

:thumb:

Sorry we don't have the Big Pitch Guide so can't help you there.

We found our seasonal pitch by looking on the internet and by driving around visiting all the sites around the area we wanted to be in. Took a while. :Cool:

Gill

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
whats wrong with a nav..

I must be lucky we have an 03 navara we use for Car & trailer training (B+E) we have used it pulling an Ifor williams 105 box van since 05 and 10,000 miles now done 60,000 never missed a beat still on original battery (much to my suprise) not that economical 16mpg towing round town, I cant fault it, but it is a crew cab work truck and drives like one I wouldn't want it to be my only car.

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back