Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I imagine lots of rip off prices around the olympics. The C&CC will be charging a whopping £30 a night on special event (car park?) campsites:RollEyes:

Link Removed

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Jm I believe it was FROM £30. With a minimum 3 day stay.

Maybe I should see how much I can rent the drive for it has hook up on it and water and dumping facility could be provided.

Sonja

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
That is disgraceful! I hate profiteering! I know demand will be high, but no need to throw prices up that high, as they can add any field on as a temporary fixture at no cost other than maybe some extra loos!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Camping prices from £30 per night with a minimum stay of 3 nights.
The sites are out at Gravesend and Ebbsfleet I believe, quite a journey into the Olympic Park at Stratford.
Rumour has it that some seats for the Opening Ceremony are being priced at £2012 each.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The sites are out at Gravesend and Ebbsfleet I believe, quite a journey into the Olympic Park at Stratford.
Rumour has it that some seats for the Opening Ceremony are being priced at £2012 each.

I wasn't even going to watch it on TV. Perhaps I will now so I can feel smug about the £2grand I'm saving :roflmto:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Blimey, thats a lot of money to see a few Morris Dancers::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Typical rip off

What do you expect from a multi million pound oranisation.. Rip them off...

Me i intend to go the other way .... out of the UK while it is on... Never visted the rip off millenium dome.. I certainly will not line the pockets of others by paying these silly prices... But i am sure there will be enough fools out there that just have to be there and will hand over the money... A case of the Han Christianson Anderson fairy tales... The Emperor has no clothes on... Or you can fool some of the people some of the time etc.,

Bob:Angry:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I SO want to be somewhere else. I hate sport (sorry to those that dislike the hate word) it was a BAAAAAD day when we 'WON' the bid. Pride goes before a fool too as the next day was a real comeuppance and very, very sad. Going to make us all more sporty and healthy? What a laugh. :Smile: Jane

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think its time the oplympics were found a permanent home somewhere that all participating countries could pay a maintenance fee for and get rid of all this back pocket politics, would save all countries a fortune in building costs for buildings that will see very little use afterwards.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There is no denying that £30 a night is expensive for the facilities on offer but there is no indication in the C&CC press release as to the breakdown. It would be interesting to see which organisation(s) obtains the lion's share.

On the other hand, the Olympics these days is a free-market, profit-making business, far from the ideals of its founders. As with any other such business, those involved will set their own ethical standards and charge what they think is a fair price or what they think they can get away with.

Personally I want nothing to do with the Olympics (especially subsidising it from taxes) but I have no objection to other private individuals and organisations spending their own money on it if they wish.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
It's a club and that profiteering, highest rate only should be charged.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a club and that profiteering, highest rate only should be charged.

Trouble is, John, as I said we don't know the breakdown. For instance, the cost to the C&CC might be (say) £25 per night per pitch. It may well be that somebody is taking the opportunity to make a quick buck but, without more evidence, we can't say that it is the C&CC.

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I imagine lots of rip off prices around the olympics. The C&CC will be charging a whopping £30 a night on special event (car park?) campsites:RollEyes:
Link Removed

Motorhome Fun is a rip off! How can you possibly charge ten pounds? Most forums that I use are absolutely free, how do you justify this terrible rip-off?

Now I imagine that this has got you pretty riled up!

Let me begin by saying that I don't actually believe what I've just said. I don't think that MHFun is a rip-off and I suspect that, at ten pounds a head, you may well be subsidising it somewhat.

But this is typical of the statements by people who are ignorant of the facts and the true costs involved. That same ignorance convinced certain people to leave this forum and to go to a different one that may free, where they will moan about the' rip-off' MHFun, completely ignoring the fact that 'Out and About Live' for instance is probably subsidised by a large publishing house.

For anyone to say that the camp-site charges being imposed by the C&CC are a rip-off, displays that same ignorance. We have no idea what the council involved is charging the C&CC for its temporary lease during the Olympics, but I suspect that it will be a very large amount of money. Couple this with the costs of setting up a site-infrastructure that will not repay itself over many years, as with a normal site, but will have to be removed after a few short weeks.

Apart from which the C&CC is a mutual, with no shareholders and all the profits are ploughed back into the club for the benefit of its members. What is the raison d'etre for it 'ripping them off'? Who will benefit from this?

I get very frustrated by those who trot out the term 'rip-off' unthinkingly and with no knowledge of why a price may be being charged. It simply shows a biased and unthinking attitude. A 'rip-off' to me is if I am cheated. I think that some low cost airlines operate a rip-off. They may still be cheap but to advertise a price only to find that, when you've completed the booking it is actually twice as much, is in my view, a rip-off.

But when I fly abroad I go business class. I'm not boasting, it's just a fact. I know what the price is in advance and I am happy to pay it. £2500 as against £700 in economy will elicit the term 'rip-off' from some but, if I am happy to pay it, how can I be being ripped off?

If a price is clearly and fairly advertised you have the choice, buy the product or do not buy the product. But please, stop screaming 'rip-off' when what you really mean is 'expensive'. There is a very big difference.

Accept that there may be times that you really have no idea why something costs as much as it does and that there may be factors about which you are completely unaware.

It is this thinking that will make the ignorant and unaware scream 'rip-off' because this site charges ten pounds, when others are free.

Finally, I'd happily pay £20 for a site such as this, because, as a businessman I know the hidden costs that others have no idea about. Just one piece of information from a thread can save me much more than the site's fee and I am bright enough to know that this makes it very good value, but many aren't!

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998

Since the British Tax payer is subsidising this circus we (tax payer) should all be given a free ticket for one of the events:restmycase:

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi All,

Just to also add - don't forget that London isn't the ONLY Olypmpic venue. Down here in Weymouth / Portland we're hosting the Sailing events and there are lots of opportunities for spectators and some fabulous coast / countryside for lots of non-Olympic goodness too!

Ben

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back