Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
A cautionary tale. A couple of days ago we went into the van for the first time for a few weeks (to get it ready for a trip to Spain this weekend - Yippee!).

Our van has a garage, and I noticed that the roof and side walls of the garage were covered with brown spots. These were thick, and sticky.

We emptied the garage, and cleaned the offending spots, then started to consider what might have caused them. Eventually we found that - in a group of 4 cans of coke that we had - perhaps rather stupidly - left in the van, one had exploded. Presumably this was something to do with the extreme cold weather followed by a thaw.

We will not be leaving cans of fizzy drink in the van again!

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Weve had exactly that happen, except it was Old Speckled Hen:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Kevin has had some of his beer do that in the garage as well.

I think the cans are too thin now days.

Sonja

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes be careful everyone.
Exactly the same thing happened to 2 cans of coke in our MH external locker.
1 totally exploded , leaving sticky gunge in the locker cupboard , the other one had its top and bottom pushed right out. We hadnt used the motorhome for a couple of weekends as it was before our Xmas trip up to Aviemore. So it hadnt had any heat to it in that time.
We couldnt believe it as it happened in a freezing cold Castleford storage yard. Not the Cairngorms :ROFLMAO:
The beer was OK though.....:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We had a packet of crisps explode going over the Atlas Mountains.

Dangerous places, MHs.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We had a near do with 2 coke cans , we had them in the top container on the dashboard which keep cans etc cold when you have the air con on but it also gets hot when you have the heating on when we took the cans out they had swollen out both ends and ready to pop, that would have made a mess all over the place, like you have said we live and learn, but sometimes a bit to late. lol Peter:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Thank goodness I don't drink fizzy pop it sounds bloody dangerous :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Weve had exactly that happen, except it was Old Speckled Hen:Eeek:

Wasted time taking it abroad, Awld Speckled Un does not travel, had it confirmed by our local Greene King. Tastes like the c**p you can buy much cheaper when you get 'there'. Jane :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had a good friend several years ago who would often be heard to say 'You don't wanna be doing with that coke stuff.. makes your bum go'

Never found out what he meant and my bum is still at the bottom of my back ( I think )

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Could it be the the can of coke froze, made a split or hole, the when the weather go warmer melted and the the pressure that would still be contained in the ice squirter the coke out?

Doug...

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
bang

We rather silly couple left 24 cans of Diet Coke and 24 cans of Red Bull in the motorhome, 6 of the Coke exploded big style ends off clean as a whistle and a few others blew out the ends but didn`t rupture.
Luckilly being in the carton and also a large plastic bag the mess was confined somewhat.
Oddly enough non of the Red Bull cans were affected by the frost.

We had totally drained the water system down but forgot about the Header tank for the loo, so far that looks like there hasn`t been any damage but in future we will make certain the motorhome is left liquid free.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Good job you didn't have mentos stored in the same place. ::bigsmile:

Picked our van up just before Christmas and had left cans and bottles stored under the seated. Luckily none of the cans had ruptured. A bottle of water was frozen solid though. :whatthe:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We also found a packet of johnsons baby wipes , under the sink in the bathroom , frozen solid. Not as dangerous or messy as exploding coke cans , but unexpected.
It did get down to -16 a couple of nights over in Castleford before Xmas ( so we were told, by the storage watchman !)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We rather silly couple left 24 cans of Diet Coke and 24 cans of Red Bull in the motorhome, 6 of the Coke exploded big style ends off clean as a whistle and a few others blew out the ends but didn`t rupture.
Luckilly being in the carton and also a large plastic bag the mess was confined somewhat.
Oddly enough non of the Red Bull cans were affected by the frost.

We had totally drained the water system down but forgot about the Header tank for the loo, so far that looks like there hasn`t been any damage but in future we will make certain the motorhome is left liquid free.

Problem is the 'diet' coke, a drink full of sugar would freeze only at a lower temperature.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

Did something similar in my little van...discovered a couple of weeks ago that I'd left the flush tank filled in my Thetford Portable loo....one big pink ice cube :whatthe: :roflmto:

Bottle of water for the windscreen was frozen, wet-wipes were solid and the bottle of washing up liquid (Ecover...other brands are available) had separated :Doh:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Did something similar in my little van...discovered a couple of weeks ago that I'd left the flush tank filled in my Thetford Portable loo....one big pink ice cube :whatthe: :roflmto:

Bottle of water for the windscreen was frozen, wet-wipes were solid and the bottle of washing up liquid (Ecover...other brands are available) had separated :Doh:

I have always wondered about the window washers ability to stand up to freezing, I have never had any damage done to the washer system being frozen, have you?

Doug...

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I have always wondered about the window washers ability to stand up to freezing, I have never had any damage done to the washer system being frozen, have you?

No, though it always comes to mind this time of year because I'm always caught out with washer fluid that's too dilute. When it's really cold it just seems to expand through the nozzles and totally blocks things up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back