Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Well after a successful trial in france last year we are going to try Lake Garda this July. Would prefer June, but have other commitments.

We reckon 2-3 days to get down there, and looking at the reports from the funsters trip last year it seems sensible.

We have looked at the site options, and the real question for funsters is would you recommend the Butterfly site? We are looking for lakeside, access to trains and boats for travelling around, bars and restaurants that are quite laid back - not teenager and noisy, nice walks. Generally a nice relaxing week with interesting things to do and see.

Is this the best place, or after last year is there an alternative recommendation.

Thanks for any help (and HNY of course ) :Smile:

David

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
would you recommend the Butterfly site? We are looking for lakeside, access to trains and boats for travelling around, bars and restaurants that are quite laid back - not teenager and noisy, nice walks.
David

Butterfly is totally perfect for this.

Only problem, it's not big and fills up. You really will need to book. We got a free day with XX many days stay, look out for this. Also a an early booking discount, it ended up a bargain.

About a quarter of a mile to bus, train, boat and town.

Two essentials - Sirmioni by bus or boat.
Mercesini - go by boat at least, but do go up the cable car.

I'm sure you'll find it very busy everywhere. Long queues for the cable car etc.

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks Brian, really appreciate your help.

i read through the old thread again, and I have ordered the ACSI book, and found a web page with all the aires in Switzerland. Looking to do Dover <> Dunkirk 27 GBP each way if you go out on Sunday and back on a friday.

Can't wait... will be booking this week :thumb:

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can't wait... will be booking this week :thumb:
David

If that's Butterfly then about the only complaint, emails to staff sometimes take while and need re-sending, they are not exactly overstaffed. Last year they did not take deposits by CC, so it was bank transfer or some sent a €50 note.

But not understaffed when it comes to cleanliness, the whole place is spotless, lovely flower beds.

The actual lake is 25 metres from the door. And 200 metres is where the rich Italians park their boats, some have to be seen to be believed. No namby pamby speed limits on Italian lakes !

Great for pushbikes. Chrisboyo and 'er indoors pedalled miles along the flat river bank.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Just to add to Brian's recommendation (coz I was there as well, last year) the railway station is about a 20 minute walk and there are trains to Verona and Venice, both of which are well worth a visit.
Have a great time. We did.
And yes, HNY.

John

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks again, I will watch for the booking confirmation and maybe phone as well as email. Will also check if i can do without the rear box and take bikes instead.

If anyone is interested in the Swiss Stellplatz, the link is here:

http://http://www.stellplatz.wohnmobilforum-schweiz.ch/?id=12

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we did Lake Garda last july and stayed just outside sirmione lovely place. We got train to Venice and Verona 2 really good days out.
We drove down through Germany and Austria and stayed at stellplatz so if your thinking of going that way let us know and will help if we can. Also stayed in innsbruck for 3 days another lovely city.
As Brian says i would book as we turned up 2 days earlier than planned and tried loads of c/site and ended up phoning one we had book and managed to get the 2 nights there.

Gerry

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Sounds like there are some great places in between here and Garda. Only wish we had more time, but it looks like 3 days down, 3 days back and a week in Garda is all we will get. But hey, cannot complain, we can always go back and maybe just do Austria and Switzerland :Smile:

All the best

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back