Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
I bought a hose that I thought was to join a propane bottle to the LPG tank that has a T in it, the hose turns out to be to attach a BBQ etc to the LPG system, can I get an adapter to connect a propane bottle as the LPG in the tank is very low and moving the RV to top up at the moment is not feasable.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I bought a hose that I thought was to join a propane bottle to the LPG tank that has a T in it, the hose turns out to be to attach a BBQ etc to the LPG system, can I get an adapter to connect a propane bottle as the LPG in the tank is very low and moving the RV to top up at the moment is not feasable.

Hi
yes, buy an Extenda stay fitting that connects a propane bottle directly to the RV LPG system ..

http://www.abp-accessories.co.uk/productindi.php?id=409

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while Jims solution is by far the best, a cheaper way is to fit your new BBQ connection hose on the low pressure side of the LPG system then, using a second hose and 'bottle-top' propane regulator connect the bottle to the BBQ outlet (assuming your new hose has a one way valve/BBQ adaptor nipple.)

turn off the onboard tank stop valve first.

you then have low pressure gas going INTO the low pressure RV system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
while Jims solution is by far the best, a cheaper way is to fit your new BBQ connection hose on the low pressure side of the LPG system then, using a second hose and 'bottle-top' propane regulator connect the bottle to the BBQ outlet (assuming your new hose has a one way valve/BBQ adaptor nipple.)

turn off the onboard tank stop valve first.

you then have low pressure gas going INTO the low pressure RV system.

So where it T's into the LPG system it needs to be low pressure, so I need to put a regulator on the bottle and attach my new hose to that??????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So where it T's into the LPG system it needs to be low pressure, so I need to put a regulator on the bottle and attach my new hose to that??????

That is correct, I had both systems on my RV ..

The bottle / regulator into low pressure side has the benefit of being able to use just about any bottle and regulator .. this came in handy when touring Morocco where there are no LPG filling stations and the local bottles are Butane ..
downside is that the regulator may not be able to supple sufficient gas if you have ALL your heating and gas appliances on.. so ideally have both systems .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes, Jims answered the main part but i must stress....you must have a tap or none return valve in the new hose otherwise there is nothing to stop the onboard tanks emptying out to air when filled and turned back on.

i fitted this system to my Rv using a hose and a T in the low pressure hose from the onboard regulator to a 'bullfinch' BBQ adaptor which has an auto gas shutoff in the adaptor.
release the BBQ extention hose and the gas supply is automaticaly cut to the outlet.

the hose kit you bought is possibly an american BBQ setup which will fit on the high pressure side and should not be used on that side.
american BBQ's have a regulator at the BBQ itself so need full pressure..
one advantage is you also have a BBQ outlet for european BBQ's.

BULLFINCH BBQ adaptor

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
lpg

what pressure is the regulator that you are using? if you are using the old style red propane regulator, you should be aware that these are 37 mbar(14.85 inches of water). All usa rv regulators are set at 11 inches of water (approx 27.4 mbar). hence if you are supplying lpg vapour to the rv via a uk red regulator you are running everything at the wrong pressure, that is the reason why extenda-stay kits go into the system prior to the american regulator, the lpg vapour is then supplied to the appliances via the original regulator giving the correct pressure for usa appliances. Also if you have an extenda stay adapter or an extenda flow adapter with the american barbeque attachment on it, under no circumstances attach this to a european barbeque or cadac, most usa barbeque's have there own internal gas regulators and require high pressure unregulated gas.
Dunc.

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
OK I'm a bit confused now, this is the hose I have if that helps at all.

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OK I'm a bit confused now, this is the hose I have if that helps at all.

Link Removed

Hi , Forget this hose, it is no good without the Extenda stay adapter ..

keep it simple and buy the Extenda stay kit and if competent fit yourself or have it done by an LPG fitter. Job done.

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
OK that simplifies it, I may as well just go and fill the old girl up with LPG, just a bit of a military operation to move it and not lose the parking space etc, will prob take all morning but all the tanks are low so prob just as well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what pressure is the regulator that you are using? if you are using the old style red propane regulator, you should be aware that these are 37 mbar(14.85 inches of water). All usa rv regulators are set at 11 inches of water (approx 27.4 mbar). hence if you are supplying lpg vapour to the rv via a uk red regulator you are running everything at the wrong pressure, that is the reason why extenda-stay kits go into the system prior to the american regulator, the lpg vapour is then supplied to the appliances via the original regulator giving the correct pressure for usa appliances. Also if you have an extenda stay adapter or an extenda flow adapter with the american barbeque attachment on it, under no circumstances attach this to a european barbeque or cadac, most usa barbeque's have there own internal gas regulators and require high pressure unregulated gas.
Dunc.

very good point duncan, but i'm sure you can still buy european 27mb bottle top regulators.
running my cadac from the lp side will just mean it isnt burning as hot, as the usa reg will still provide enough flow albeit at a lower pressure.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one major disadvantage of bottled gas.....its around twice the price of pump LPG. :Sad:

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
I already have a Tee in place to connect the hose to, does that change anything, when I connected the hose to the Tee it filled the hose with LPG which had a one way valve at the other end.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
is it fitted before or after the onboard regulator ?

if its before then you may be able to get an adaptor 'nipple' to fit the hose to a calor bottle without a regulator, your local 'Pirtek' hose people may help, and it will use the onboard regulator which is what Duncan meant in his post.

if its after, you need a 27mb regulator for the bottle...old style euro type.... or use it for a euro BBQ.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back