External sensors monitoring doors (1 Viewer)

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Hi all

I have an excellent alarm system on the M/H, but I have been researching the possibility of fitting an external proximity sensor on the three doors. PIR or motion sensor which will give an internal alarm when anyone is near the doors. Useful when freecamping.

There are similar ones you can use in your garden to indicate someone is coming up the drive.

Has anyone done this, or has anyone comments, Pros or Cons.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi all

I have an excellent alarm system on the M/H, but I have been researching the possibility of fitting an external proximity sensor on the three doors. PIR or motion sensor which will give an internal alarm when anyone is near the doors. Useful when freecamping.

There are similar ones you can use in your garden to indicate someone is coming up the drive.

Has anyone done this, or has anyone comments, Pros or Cons.

Sounds like a good idea if your nervous, but what about the battery consumption?

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I fitted a battery PIR alarm with a small key ring remote control, no wires or fitting .. just stick it up outside the door .. two year battery life .. worked a treat .. from Maplins.

false alarms were occasionally a problem..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the intruder alarm on my Rv has a 9v battery powered wireless PIR aimed at the hab door (internally).

looks for all the world like a standard domestic wired PIR but no wiring and is activated/deativated by the alarm/immobiliser fob.

i havent found the documentation for the system yet though, so i dont even know the make.:RollEyes:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I would agree

Wildlife.

Wildlife would be an issue I suspect. So you know something is out side so what you going to do? unlock the doors and go and look? I have a VanBitz alarm system and I can set the out side alarms and turn off the inside alarms.. I even have a link to the trailer so if anyone touches anything the alarms go off... but do I want to find out what has tripped it in the middle of the night while wild camping???????????? NO .. I would rather start up and move.. no if the wildlife sets it off over and over then I would be moving a lot at night when I want to sleep.

Me I would just get a decent alarm that allows you to set the outside or inside or both.

Bob :Eeek:

OP
OP
spudandpatricia

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
outside sensors feedback

Thanks to Jim and Brian

Jim has the idea I want to use, I will be looking at Maplins. Excellent Jim as always.

It is useful to know someone is prowling around, don't need to go out of the door, there are windows.

If it's an animal, no problem. If it's human and you are concerned, you can get behind the wheel. I have never had a problem free camping, apart from a badger shuffling around, but I believe in being aware at all times.

Cheers

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We fitted one of these!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc[/ame]

-only joking!:roflmto:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Unfortunately, we have toasted a few French girls collecting money at aires!:Sad:

Oct 2, 2007
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Loads of years
Sensors

I have reversing sensors on my RV , Works well, I have them 1 meter from the ground so that there is no interferance from animals . one alarm in front so that the potential intruder can hear as they approach the vehicle and one near the bedroom. so that i can hear. Just remember to swich the power off when not in use :Smile::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have reversing sensors on my RV , Works well, I have them 1 meter from the ground so that there is no interferance from animals . one alarm in front so that the potential intruder can hear as they approach the vehicle and one near the bedroom. so that i can hear. Just remember to swich the power off when not in use :Smile::Smile:
good idea, pretty low current drain and a four sensor version would allow two on either side covering most of the van at once. :thumb:

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for that Gary. Are these easy to fit and how much do they cost.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Like Bob, if I heard somebody outside I would not confront them and my doors are alarmed. I like the idea of low level sensors, or maybe a pir linked to a 12v security light on either side so potential intruders can be seen at night

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

These sensors.....I like the idea......."BUT" don't they need metal or a solid mass to set them off....the reason I say this is, I had a full set fitted to the wife Citroen Picasso in Driffield, Citroen genuine parts fitted by a Citroen main agent at BROACH HILL main dealers........now when we arrived home with sensors completed... the wife tried reversing her car into the back of my Toyota Privia..... whacking my vehicle three times ????:Eeek::Angry: she told me there was a problem they did not work :Doh:.......so off I go back to the main agent...who's service manager came out and said there was not a problem!!!!! and to prove it he reversed my wife's car into one of there courtesy cars three or four times... BANG! BANG! BANG! until he then came to the conclusion that modern cars have too much plastic at the front BEFORE you reach any metal........and that is why he bumped our car so many times!!!!!:Angry: with no compensation......and said they would remove and re-pay back my money:Angry:

Mel

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Interesting case of the Citroen sensors. I thought all reversing sensors were ultrasonic. All the ones we have experience of will pick up posts, grass, twigs, heavy rain and even snow. A plastic bumper doesn't phase them at all.
We wonder if the dealership were just morons, fitted/calibrated then incorrectly, and they were covering their tracks! Remember, the addition of accessories on most modern cars requires them to be enabled in the main ECU after fitting!
The cowboys aren't just in the back streets in our experience................. (that applies to motorhome dealers too!)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Interesting case of the Citroen sensors. I thought all reversing sensors were ultrasonic. All the ones we have experience of will pick up posts, grass, twigs, heavy rain and even snow. A plastic bumper doesn't phase them at all.
We wonder if the dealership were just morons, fitted/calibrated then incorrectly, and they were covering their tracks! Remember, the addition of accessories on most modern cars requires them to be enabled in the main ECU after fitting!
The cowboys aren't just in the back streets in our experience................. (that applies to motorhome dealers too!)

YOU MAY WELL BE 100% CORRECT..........:Doh:.......just thought I would ask:thumb:

Mel

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Have a look at Link Removed ,they offer a system that works on a microwave system? I did enquire about this a while ago and if I remember correctly, it retails at about £800. Its expensive but if it works ........

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
These sensors.....I like the idea......."BUT" don't they need metal or a solid mass to set them off....the reason I say this is, I had a full set fitted to the wife Citroen Picasso in Driffield, Citroen genuine parts fitted by a Citroen main agent at BROACH HILL main dealers........now when we arrived home with sensors completed... the wife tried reversing her car into the back of my Toyota Privia..... whacking my vehicle three times ????:Eeek::Angry: she told me there was a problem they did not work :Doh:.......so off I go back to the main agent...who's service manager came out and said there was not a problem!!!!! and to prove it he reversed my wife's car into one of there courtesy cars three or four times... BANG! BANG! BANG! until he then came to the conclusion that modern cars have too much plastic at the front BEFORE you reach any metal........and that is why he bumped our car so many times!!!!!:Angry: with no compensation......and said they would remove and re-pay back my money:Angry:

Mel
what they meant was 'we dont know how to fit them but cant let you know that'.

as the vast majority of modern cars are 90% plastic at the front and rear i think it a given they dont need metal to work.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I fitted them myself on my RV

My Winnibago is all fiberglass .. I have fitted back up sensors myself... Purchased a kit from Maplin... Easy to install. I even painted them to match the finish... I have them in the middle of reflectors (i have two reflectors eajch side so i am legal). While i do have a back up camera, this covers the blind spots on the outer edge of the rear of the RV.

I have a full VanBitz strike back alarm and can alarm all the Rv inside and out or just the outside when we go to bed... The yanks like ours have serious deadlocks on the habitation door and the cab doors are normal Ford cab locks with the alarm from VanBitz.. When parked we put up our outer screen so no one can look in to see what is in the cab... Plus we have the usual flashing red lamps in the grill and one of the rear lights.... We have a trailer alarm loop plus we also have Ezzie on board to lick anyone to death..but they do not know that.

Pir would in my mind give off to many false alarms.

Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back