Here we go again! (1 Viewer)

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
It's happening again. Accessing this site is like wading through a sea of treacle whilst wearing a diving suit!

Minutes to open a forum, white screens that go nowhere, reverting to the main screen when you click on a topic. It's a flipping nightmare.

But if I click on a sponsored link, it's immediate, which suggests that the problem is with this site's server.

I do not want another two days of sheer frustration. Will someone please see what's going on! :Sad:

Ps I have tried dozens of other sites and they are like lightening. It's only this one!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
do you log on from internet favorites folder or a home page ?

if you do log on as above the file may be corrupt.

if so, log off from 'fun', shut down and restart the internet and log on using the forums URL....www.motorhomefun.co.uk.

all my forums are on IE7 homepage and start when i turn on the web with no trouble at all.

nowt to lose by trying :thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
No problems here so it can't be the server otherwise everyone would be affected.
As Papa says but I would clear the cache and dump the cookies.
Also clear Fun from your favourites then restart and use the URL. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No problems here so it can't be the server otherwise everyone would be affected.
As Papa says but I would clear the cache and dump the cookies.
Also clear Fun from your favourites then restart and use the URL. ::bigsmile:

i believe he's already cleared cookies and cache last time Ken, which worked for a while.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
you wouldnt be an aol devotee or talk talk would you:Blush:
just turned my toshiba/windows 7 on
took ages to load up (not used for a while)

when the anti virus program was happy took ages to aol

then took forever to find moty home fun

pages seem to take ages to load

when i was using the i mac on safari its nearly instant
given i am just inside broadband catchment

but i am no longer on aol just ocasionally use the home page
via a lappy using microsoft i begin to dislike microsoft
owing to start up time and slow use​
:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
you wouldnt be an aol devotee or talk talk would you:Blush:
just turned my toshiba/windows 7 on
took ages to load up (not used for a while)

when the anti virus program was happy took ages to aol

then took forever to find moty home fun

pages seem to take ages to load

when i was using the i mac on safari its nearly instant
given i am just inside broadband catchment

but i am no longer on aol just ocasionally use the home page
via a lappy using microsoft i begin to dislike microsoft
owing to start up time and slow use​
:thumb:

I am on a Toshiba P500 running Windows 7 and it is screaming fast. AOL is known to cause problems with some pooters as it is so invasive. :Angry:

OP
OP
N

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I've done everything but nothing helps. It's the same 'Favourites' link, which works one day but now is very, very slow. I've tried a second computer and that is the same.

Can anyone explain why, when I logged on as a guest, using the same computer and same 'Favourites' link, it was like lightening, but log on with my user-name and it's hopeless.

I shall copy this text, which I always do now because when I press submit, there's a chance that, after a couple of minutes wait I'll get a blank screen and a couple of minutes later I'll get a 'Server busy' message. I then have to do the whole thing again until it works.

Can anyone also explain this - when I eventually manage to access the site and click on a sponsored advertisement, it's very quick but anything within Fun itself, accessing posts etc. is a nightmare!

I have no problem with any other sites.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you wont get any help from Jim at the moment due to his circumstances but if Bryan (admin and 'puter wizard) see's this in spain he may be helpful.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

I've taken a look at the server and can see no issues at this end.

No-one else appears to be having any issues (if you are, please speak up now :Smile:) so I can only assume that the problem is local to you.

HTH

Bryan

OP
OP
N

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
So how do you explain that, two days ago when I had the same problem for 48 hours, that logging on as a guest was like lightening but the minute that I eventually managed to log on with my user-name, it was hopeless again?

Surely that eliminates any Internet routing problem? As mentioned I also tried a different PC, so that eliminates any local problem with my computer.

Then it was fine for two days and now it's the same again. Could it not be a problem within your server in the section dealing with registered users? Is there a cache that needs emptying at your end?

I repeat, during this entire period I have not had a problem with any other site. I have 20 meg broadband and it's very rapid.

It's really starting to bug me!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
This site has been slow and I have had to clear all and log on again a few times in the last couple of days thought it was just me been worse tonight here

OP
OP
N

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I may have solved the problem. I did a disk clean-up as usual but this time I deleted all cookies and suddenly it's back to normal.

However, why should the cookies only affect this site? I have no problem accessing any other sites. Another strange thing is that, after clearing out all cookies, I only visited two sites, my Google home page and this one. Upon checking my cookies again I found a longish list of cookies for advertising firms etc.

Were these placed on my PC by this site? As I said, it is very odd that no other site is affected and somehow, accessing MHF appears to be putting dodgy cookies on my PC, which in turn screws up my access to the site.

It is very odd! Any ideas anyone?

It's happened twice and is instantaneous. Everything is fine and then suddenly, it's a nightmare, which reinforces my view that possibly one dodgy cookie is being installed, which is messing up my access to MHFun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back