Old Motor a leak (1 Viewer)

Badgerboy

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi,

I am a newbie to the site so hi to everyone first of all, we recently brought a 1992 Peugeot J5 base with Pilote chassis. It is a lovely motorhome and suits us down to the ground. We are currentyl doing a house sit in the Loire Valley which is very cold and very wet.

With the recent snow and rain we have sprung a leak in the vent in the bathroom and at the front of the van by the over cab bed.

How much does a complete re-seal cost? Also how do you know if it is recent because having taken off the vent it looks like it has been going on a while as the board is dis-coloured to a rusty water colour. What is my best course of action?

Also as a newbie to motor homing, we turned the boiler on the other day to heat the water but the pipes were frozen we think and so no water was pulling through. I tried again today as it was mild and I think the pump is knackered, it makes a noise but doesn't shut up, it used to make a noise then go quiet after a minute. No water is coming out of the tap. What is the likely route of the trouble other then me that is?

Thanks in advance.:Eeek:

clarify

Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
Funster No
as fairly new myself not sure if any help
My old eldis had similar problem with pump which turned out to be an air lock turned pump on opened tap sucked water through worked ok after that
ray

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi,

I am a newbie to the site so hi to everyone first of all, we recently brought a 1992 Peugeot J5 base with Pilote chassis. It is a lovely motorhome and suits us down to the ground. We are currentyl doing a house sit in the Loire Valley which is very cold and very wet.

With the recent snow and rain we have sprung a leak in the vent in the bathroom and at the front of the van by the over cab bed.

How much does a complete re-seal cost? Also how do you know if it is recent because having taken off the vent it looks like it has been going on a while as the board is dis-coloured to a rusty water colour. What is my best course of action?

Also as a newbie to motor homing, we turned the boiler on the other day to heat the water but the pipes were frozen we think and so no water was pulling through. I tried again today as it was mild and I think the pump is knackered, it makes a noise but doesn't shut up, it used to make a noise then go quiet after a minute. No water is coming out of the tap. What is the likely route of the trouble other then me that is?

Thanks in advance.:Eeek:

The pump 'used to make a noise then go quiet after a minute' because it had pressurised the system and the pressure switch switched it off. If it doesn't switch off now after being thawed out, it could be that you have a burst pipe or fitting (such as the water filter or one-way valve) and all the water is being pumped out though the burst. This is similar to having a tap open and the water pump will not be able to pump up to pressure and will never switch off. The first thing I would do is look to see if there is a plumbing leak somewhere - inside a cupboard, under the bed or wherever the plumbing pipes are. Of course, make sure there is water in the tank first!

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Regarding your leaks--------take off the inside trim and try to see condition of wood----if it is spongey it could well have rot----or even dry-rot-------could be quite a job to fix properly
Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Badgerboy,
Pump first- check that you have water in the tank :thumb:with pump running open all taps to purge of air and close them - check under the van for leaks and anywhere else you can see.Not sure which boiler you will have but some have a frost protection valve that opens in low temps and release the water which you will see coming from under the van - if that's the case it will need resetting.-Usualy by lifting the valve (close to the boiler )and some secure this in position with a peg to preventing it dropping again -Try these first if not successful get back to us :thumb:
The leaks need fixing as soon as possible so do a temp fix using sikaflex or caravan seal on any cracks you can see on the roof or around any sky lights/ vents. Once you have found the leak and stopped it you can then start to investigate how bad it is.
Pay the tenner and become a full member that way you can ask as many questions as you like :thumb: there are lots of us who will be able to offer solutions and advise :thumb: If possible take photos :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Badgerboy

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, I will go and check the pump by opening the taps, then looking for possible leaks.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back