Where would you go? (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
So.......If you were planning to spend three weeks in France in April. Two grown ups, no children, one dog. First visit in the van. Where would you go for the 'perfect' French break?

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Loire valley - I'd start at Angers, and just follow the river upstream. Saumur is very pleasant. Montsoreau. Chinon. Azay-le-Rideau. Tours. Blois. Orleans.

You might struggle to find many campsites open at that time of year.

AT the end of the day, it's YOUR trip. You can plan it to the last microsecond, or you can just blow with the breeze.

Me? I head to a town, then punch into the satnav another town about 50 miles or more away, and use the Shortest Distance facility to get me there. This takes me on roads I would NEVER normally travel, and what marvellous sites and scenes I've seen as a result.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Loire valley - I'd start at Angers, and just follow the river upstream. Saumur is very pleasant. Montsoreau. Chinon. Azay-le-Rideau. Tours. Blois. Orleans.
Me? I head to a town, then punch into the satnav another town about 50 miles or more away, and use the Shortest Distance facility to get me there. This takes me on roads I would NEVER normally travel, and what marvellous sites and scenes I've seen as a result.

Useful advice for us too, we will be new to France next year. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Carcassonne, Avignon, Arles and The Carmargue, Aix en Provence. Millau and drive south over the bridge. The Lot, Dordogne, Tarn (take your pick). Bourges (super cathedral), Chartres (lovely old town and super cathedral). Rouen. Brittany.

Or pin up a map of france and throw darts at it (or get somebody with poor eyesight to do it for you) and see if a coherent route suggests itself.

Note: April in Paris is only a song; evidently the guy who wrote the song wanted to write about May in Paris but couldn't get the rhythm right. :Smile:

France is huge and lots of it is great. We haven't done anything like enough of it yet.

John

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Get yourself a system!

Hi,

We have the same problem. France is such a big country and we want to see all of it. At present we are using a very crude system.....every time we cross the channel we go to a new region and we are working our way South. Research the tourist websites for the region and pick the "essentials" that appeal to you. Then find the shortest route between them as mentioned above. We plan on using a mix of Aires and camp sites and, from next year, France Passion sites.

I am of the opinion that there is a perfect view somewhere with a perfect pitch. Until I find it I feel compelled to look around every corner!

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Us too

we're hoping to do a couple of weeks too in Sept and just wondering where we can get the best ferry price. Will it be with the CCC or ferry operators direct ?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Timetraveller

We found that the C&CC provided us with the best price when we booked our ferry crossing. Best price we could get on line was £100+ C&CC got us the same crossing for £85. It may be worth giving them a call after checking out on line prices.

Brisey

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Cor, everyone is likely to say something different! Normandy is very nice, very chocolate-box-like scenery, half timered and thatched roofs. And the landing beaches plus the towns around em are really interesting as are eg Honfleur, Caen and Bayeux. And the Pont du Normandie crossing the river mouth from Le Havre to Honfleur is much more exciting than the Millau viaduct IMHO.

Into Brittany - Dinan - ancient walled city, cobbled streets, arty-farty shops and all sorts, very touristy of course but gorgeous! Aire is at the bottom of the cliff down by the river BUT a petit train runs up and down the hill and I recommend it!

Rochefort en Terre - again ancient and very very pretty. Small Aire sort of round the back, we found it having parked on the road and walked and noticed it as we were looking down on it at some point. Maybe it is signed from a different direction than we took, dunno! LOL

Neither of these had we planned on visiting prior to just going there - but would be happy to see either again esp Dinan as we only scratched the surface there.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We spent a month in France and travelled down to Chamonois, back up Loire to Normandy and it was all wonderful. Would suggest due to only 3 weeks do Loire Valley than Normandy coast, loads of Aires on both so no expensive camp sites!
With regards ferry crossing, check out Norfolk Line - we have had incredibly cheap fares from them over the past 3 years but I realised on our last trip home all this time I had been booking the camper on as a car!!! Was never picked up for it though :)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
So.......If you were planning to spend three weeks in France in April. Two grown ups, no children, one dog. First visit in the van. Where would you go for the 'perfect' French break?

Hi whingyraindrop
You say first visit....first visit in a new motorhome to yourself......or first visit to France in any motorhome........or first visit to France.

How far are wanting to travel on your first visit to France
What type of Holiday are you wanting.
Are you wanting campsites......Bars, launderette, swimming pools, electric, wifi, etc......

Or are you wanting a basic campsite called a Aire, water, grey and toilet disposal and some have electric.....very cheap and some are free and use them as a base. (These will be open)

April.....Mmmmm still a bit early.....so we are looking more of a rest than a tan....but saying that we was in the Burgundy region just touching the Rhone-Alps from the 12th of April this year 2010 for 4 weeks it was hot hot hot from 90f to over 100f (is that normal ???) had a marvelous time mainly on rivers (NO COAST ALL INLAND)....then we was in Brittany from April the 16th for 4 weeks..weather good in south Brittany in fact very good,..... North Brittany Mixed with some rain, the weather did get better along the north of Brittany coast as we headed back home to the pas de Calais region as we was now into May.....would the weather be the same in 2011 ?????? who knows .....we found north Brittany similar to Cornwall and the weather would be the same in April...may have a lot of rain....the south of Brittany should be warmer and better but who knows?.
The Loire region or even the Centre region, may well be a good region or your first trip not to far down (although still a long way) and should be warmer,
I hope I have been of some help to you.....if you give a little more info on what you are looking for maybe we could all give more feedback to you,

What Sedge has said "And the Pont du Normandie crossing the river mouth from Le Havre to Honfleur is much more exciting than the Millau viaduct IMHO." Millau is more like a mole hill flat and Pont du Normandie is more like a mount Everest, more fun.
Also what Sedge has said about the places in Normandy and Brittany is correct beautiful.......in April ???? not sure about the weather, May, June, July would be better....but saying that it could be hot and nice.

Have a good Holiday

Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am of the opinion that there is a perfect view somewhere with a perfect pitch. Until I find it I feel compelled to look around every corner!

Have you tried the immaculate little campsite in the middle of Chamonix, just across the road from the hospital. Certainly one of the best.

The door to the shower room has a sign "Please remove your shoes before entering the shower area", it's *that* clean and friendly with it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&h...15027,6.861801&spn=0.001435,0.003613&t=h&z=19

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&h...36,6.861843&cbp=12,0,,0,5&photoid=po-37429294

Only thing to spoil it is low cloud.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back