Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Evening all,

Went to pick up my Autotrail Tracker this morning after 34 days in storage, found the engine battery totally flat, not a glimmer even the fiat display (clock) was blank

Took some time to get it jump started. The alarm was not set when it went into storage so no battery drain there, I'm at a loss as to why it should have happened. Battery was fully charged on the day it went into storage which is 30 miles from home so it had a good run.

MH first registered 1st Sept this year, so battery should be good, we made sure everything was off prior to leaving it.

Totally perplexed so I ask you my learned peers what could be causing it, I work away from home at sea for 4-5 weeks at a stretch so MH needs to stand for a month without charging.

Many thanks in anticipation

Stewart

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We had to jump start ours yesterday and gave it a good run on the M62 to charge it up but with this weather, it will probably be flat again in a couple of weeks.

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Interestingly while I was trying to get mine started a guy turned up for his Hymer (5 years old) been in storage 6 weeks and fired up no problem!!!

Stewart :Eeek:

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
All alarms I know take the same current armed or not.

It seems a modern vehicle can flatten it's battery in 3 weeks or less -- ridiculous.

That might explain why mine was dead after almost a month....and I guess it wouldn't have helped that I'd jump started a car with it just before I took it into storage. :Doh:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A fully charged battery in good condition will last many weeks in cold weather..

To prevent a recurrence remove the earth strap from the battery, a two minute job, or fit a battery disconnect switch which is fitted in place of the regular battery post clamp.

one example..

Link Removed

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Interestingly while I was trying to get mine started a guy turned up for his Hymer (5 years old) been in storage 6 weeks and fired up no problem!!!

The older the chassis the less electronics chewing away at the batteries.

If the MH sees daylight a solar panel could save it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
A fully charged battery in good condition will last many weeks in cold weather..

To prevent a recurrence remove the earth strap from the battery, a two minute job, or fit a battery disconnect switch which is fitted in place of the regular battery post clamp.

one example..

Link Removed

That sound just the jobbie, where can I purchase one Jim

Stewart:thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That sound just the jobbie, where can I purchase one Jim

Stewart:thumb:

Start with the usual suspect .. Halfords, then when they look bemused, any decent motor factors..

I simply undo the earth strap , only takes a couple of minutes with a 10mm spanner, but then again I'm a tight jock :roflmto:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
To prevent a recurrence remove the earth strap from the battery

Checking first that you have the radio reset code and that any other electronics on board are good to power down.

I know my bike alarm has an internal battery so removing the main battery is not a good option, I keep it permanently on charge.

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve gotone of them little solar chargers on the dash that seems to keep the van battery up, it is plugged into the fag lighter

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Checking first that you have the radio reset code and that any other electronics on board are good to power down.

I know my bike alarm has an internal battery so removing the main battery is not a good option, I keep it permanently on charge.

Yes, good points, on my old Fiat disconnecting the battery reset the ECU to factory defaults, not in itself a problem .. it soon 'learned' again.

On my Honda CR-V the only thing it affects is the radio .. which I forgot about :Doh:

but as Stewart has had no problem after flattening the battery it's fair to assume the ECU isn't affected ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
A different beast I know, but I leave my newish car with the alarm set for 4-5 weeks winter and summer whilst away at sea and its never let me down seemingly having loads of "oomph" left in battery???

Stewart:Sad:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although Stuart has not had a problem with the battery going flat, this may just have been that it may not have been completely dead, just too low to start.

I would recommend getting a solar panel, even one of the tiny ones you can get for £10-20 would probably be enough if the storage place gets a bit of light. Disconnecting the battery on a modern vehicle can sometimes cause some problems.

I used to suffer from the batteries going flat after a few weeks, no longer though ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Oh..that sounds like a good solution...no DIY involved. I presume you can pick these up from the usual suspects?

Only if the ciggy lighter is 'live' with the ignition off .. otherwise it won't work ..

Alternatively it can be connected directly to the battery with a couple of croc clips .. or for the more ambitious, fit a separate ciggy lighter just for that purpose.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Reversing Camera.
My brother in law has an Auto Trail Tracker which is in my drive at present.
After he left it he asked me to check that the reversing camera is isolated as it flattens the battery even if switched off.
Hope this helps :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Battery was completely dead, not even a glimmer on door light or any sort of audible click when ignition turned on, clock blank never ever seen one this far down, as an engineer I'd say voltage down to minimal probably only a few volts otherwise internal light filament would have at least "glowed"

This cannot be allowed to happen regularly or battery will be damaged permanently.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Reversing Camera.
My brother in law has an Auto Trail Tracker which is in my drive at present.
After he left it he asked me to check that the reversing camera is isolated as it flattens the battery even if switched off.
Hope this helps :Smile:

Hi Larry and thanks for that, any idea how to isolate the reversing camera??

Cheers

Stewart

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Larry and thanks for that, any idea how to isolate the reversing camera??

Cheers

Stewart

It is in the power unit area above the drivers seat.
If you can't find it I will have a look in the morning to double check

Larry

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A different beast I know, but I leave my newish car with the alarm set for 4-5 weeks winter and summer whilst away at sea and its never let me down seemingly having loads of "oomph" left in battery???
Stewart:Sad:

There are good electronic engineers and crap ones.

When confronted by a 100Ah battery a bad engineer will just think "infinite power" and fritter away your amps. A good one will see the big picture and have the electronics running below the self discharge rate of the battery.

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
My Bus as a switch to connect the hab bat, through to the cab bat, just for such occasions.

Don

O and a merry Christmas to all.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
Hi we had the same problem with our Swift now a 10mm spanner is kept in the door pocket and the battery gets disconnected when it goes into storage and also when we are on site for any length of time becouse my hubby got fed up with the horn going off when you are sat in the swivel seat and lean on the steering wheel :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
It is in the power unit area above the drivers seat.
If you can't find it I will have a look in the morning to double check

Larry

Hi again Larry have had a good look at all the fuse identifiers on the power unit nothing is marked as "reversing camera"?

ATB

Stewart

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi again Larry have had a good look at all the fuse identifiers on the power unit nothing is marked as "reversing camera"?

ATB

Stewart

Hi Stewart will go and have a look now

Larry

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Stewart took a couple of pics, this tracker is on an 09 plate , yours may be different.
The reversing camera switch is the little rocker on the extreme right

Hope this helps

Larry

Attachments

• P1000481.jpg
    P1000481.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P1000482.jpg
    P1000482.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hope this helps

Larry

Grim, frightens me to death.

At first sight "Oh what a neat control panel".

But the reality is all the mains, the battery charger and fuses in one unit means that at some time if any one part goes wrong you are ripping so many wires and the whole van is shut down while an expensive new unit appears.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Grim, frightens me to death.

At first sight "Oh what a neat control panel".

But the reality is all the mains, the battery charger and fuses in one unit means that at some time if any one part goes wrong you are ripping so many wires and the whole van is shut down while an expensive new unit appears.

I don't know what is best Brian, in my RV, 12v and mains at a glance are all over the place, for me to find anything would be a nightmare . I don't think they refer to drawings :Doh:
Larry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back