Brownhills committed to improve customer service levels (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Brownhills, Britain’s largest motorhome dealer, has said it is committed to improving its customer service levels.

In an exclusive interview, Brownhills chief operating officer, Steve Cullen, told MMM that he is determined to address customers’ motorhome issues as soon as possible.

“The strategy is to increase our customer satisfaction levels,” he said. “A lot of our focus currently is on getting customer feedback so we can react to any issues straightaway.”

However, he said some issues are simply because customers do not have a full understanding of the workings of their new purchase.

This argument is strengthened by the fact that 36% of Brownhills’ customers are new to motorhoming.

In addition to holding the franchises for Swift, Autotrail, Rapido, Elddis and Bessacarr, Brownhills is the sole UK franchise holder for Hymer (pictured). With such a variety of vehicles on sale, knowledgeable staff are key to ensuring customers are aware of all the attributes their new motorhomes have.

And Brownhills is using these staff to improve its handover service.

“These are very complicated vehicles,” says Mr Cullen. “We have a dedicated handover professional at Newark [Brownhills’ flagship site] who talks customers through all aspects of their new motorhome. The handover can take two hours depending on how experienced the customer is to motorhoming.”

This focus on customer service is nothing new to Brownhills. In 2007, its then newly appointed chief executive Tom Booth said improving customer service was also a key priority.

He introduced a seven-point action plan that he said would change perceptions people have of the company and ensure it is “first class” in every aspect of the business.

You can read the full interview with Steve Cullen in the March 2011 issue of MMM.

In the interview, Mr Cullen also explains why he is calling for action to change the current driving licence system to better reflect motorhome owners' needs. He also reveals why, despite the economic downturn and the VAT increase, he expects more customers to come through his doors in 2011.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Jim

I was one of the "I'm never buying anything from Brownhills". However they had the van we wanted and the price was right.

We took the plunge and never expected any sort of service. However we received really good service. Everything was done that we asked for. The Staff follow up everything even if they cant tell you anything :roflmto: They have always answered the phone and always rung back when they said they would.

I put all this on the customer survey that I was sent - told them they had a bad reputation. I have had a very posititve experience. I was snowed in there for three days as well recently and they were great.

I hope they have turned the corner. I was pleasantly surprised lets hope it continues.

Sonja

PS The free camping at Newark helps as well.:ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
We know how bad things could be in the past, its nice to see someone say positive things about them as to many dealers going to the wall is not good for anyone and we need good dealers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Brownhills customer service

I contacted Hymer spares (Brownhills, Preston) today, to ask for a new tap handle.

Provided model number and had a chat, then I was informed my "spare" was £66.09....plus vat and post!!!!:roflmto:

No thanks says I, I'll get a tube of superglue and repair, thanks all the same.:Smile:

Two hours later they telephone me, and I am advised they have e-mailed Hymer and the price for a new handle is now £2.62...plus vat and post. :Smile:

So there may well be a super effort being made, in my case thay said the parts list only listed one price......for the complete tap!!!!!!!

The part is to be ordered when they provide prices for another part which we need to replace, provided it is fair and reasonable.

Merry Christmas everyone:Smile:

Nomadic

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
My thoughts exactly :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Stewart

We know how bad things could be in the past, its nice to see someone say positive things about them as to many dealers going to the wall is not good for anyone and we need good dealers

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It doesn't matter what the press releases say, the whole industry is institutionally poor and needs a good shake up!
Two new motorhomes, one poor manufacturer and two poor retailers is our experience so far...............

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think some dealers would do well to learn the lessons some car dealers learnt some years ago about customer service

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
After spending a week end with them last month I can only say the level of attention they seem to be giving their customers has improved enormously, and our perception is that they are trying very hard to change the image they had. Good Luck to them and I hope their efforts bring a improvement to the image.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:ROFLMAO: well are they also going to be fair on part exchange prices paid to sellers,,, i think not ???:ROFLMAO:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Spent a brilliant weekend with them.... attentive, helpful and really took care of all our needs. Let's hope this continues. We have to give them a second chance surely.... :Smile:

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
:ROFLMAO: well are they also going to be fair on part exchange prices paid to sellers,,, i think not ???:ROFLMAO:

The problem is that if a dealer is to give excellent service and employ enough well-trained staff, it has to be paid for, and this means making a reasonable margin. Bear in mind that when he trades in a vehicle he has to give it a proper service and habitation check and VAT is paid on the profit made. It may then stand on his forecourt for weeks representing tens of thousands of pounds tied up.

People buying a used motor-home always moan that it's too expensive when compared to the new price and those trading one in moan that it's too low when compared to the new price.

Apart from which, no one is forced to trade in. You can save money by cutting out the middle-man and selling it privately. Dealers have huge expenses that you don't and, if it's so easy to sell a used motor-home, why does anyone bother accepting a lower price from a dealer? Hassle-free convenience, that's why!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I contacted Hymer spares (Brownhills, Preston) today, to ask for a new tap handle.

Provided model number and had a chat, then I was informed my "spare" was £66.09....plus vat and post!!!!:roflmto:

No thanks says I, I'll get a tube of superglue and repair, thanks all the same.:Smile:

Two hours later they telephone me, and I am advised they have e-mailed Hymer and the price for a new handle is now £2.62...plus vat and post. :Smile:

So there may well be a super effort being made, in my case thay said the parts list only listed one price......for the complete tap!!!!!!!

The part is to be ordered when they provide prices for another part which we need to replace, provided it is fair and reasonable.

Merry Christmas everyone:Smile:

Nomadic

If you had not have said no! then you would have been well and t truly been ripped off by Brownhills as I doubt very much if they would have refunded after you had paid.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back