Terniation of my ISP UKOnline (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
My ISP (UKOnline) of 10+ years was taken over by Sky 4(?) years ago. We've just been informed that Sky cannot justify running 2 Broadband ISP's so are terminating UKOnline on 14th January 2011.

Sky are offering us (sic) special deals but we are going to be without internet access for upto 14 days which is a bummer to say the least. Phoned them last night to obtain the so called "Special Deal" to transfer, they seemed quite flippant when I protested about the loss of internet during the changeover. Also the special price at £17.00 per month is £2.00 more than my present deal. This they say is because as they are not allowed to install there own equipment in BT exchanges I cannot get the cheaper deals. What utter cobblers.

I'm so brassed off I'm considering cancelling my Sky TV package as well.

Spent hours trawling the net and getting nowhere, it appears I'm being penalised for living out in the "stiyx" (very rural SW Northumberland) by many of the providers.

Anyone experienced similar or have any suggestions? wifey is thinking along lines of combined phone and broadband package)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
My ISP (UKOnline) of 10+ years was taken over by Sky 4(?) years ago. We've just been informed that Sky cannot justify running 2 Broadband ISP's so are terminating UKOnline on 14th January 2011.

Sky are offering us (sic) special deals but we are going to be without internet access for upto 14 days which is a bummer to say the least. Phoned them last night to obtain the so called "Special Deal" to transfer, they seemed quite flippant when I protested about the loss of internet during the changeover. Also the special price at £17.00 per month is £2.00 more than my present deal. This they say is because as they are not allowed to install there own equipment in BT exchanges I cannot get the cheaper deals. What utter cobblers.

I'm so brassed off I'm considering cancelling my Sky TV package as well.

Spent hours trawling the net and getting nowhere, it appears I'm being penalised for living out in the "stiyx" (very rural SW Northumberland) by many of the providers.

Anyone experienced similar or have any suggestions? wifey is thinking along lines of combined phone and broadband package)

I stopped using a land line 2 years ago as to keep it going when we only live in the house for 6 months or less a year is too expensive, we used to be able to cancel for 6 months but BT put a stop to that by insisting on 12 month contracts.

Now I use a £15 dongle that give 5 gig a month and all my phone calls through Skype.

Doug...

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i use a combined phone and broadband package by vodaphone, if you have a contract mobile phone with vodaphone you can get your line rental, all calls free (24 hours a day 7 day )and up to 8 meg broadband unlimited download for £25 a month, i have been on this package for about 4 years now and only ever had about half a dozen drop outs , if you dont have a contract phone its £35 a month , would recomend

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
I stopped using a land line 2 years ago as to keep it going when we only live in the house for 6 months or less a year is too expensive, we used to be able to cancel for 6 months but BT put a stop to that by insisting on 12 month contracts.

Now I use a £15 dongle that give 5 gig a month and all my phone calls through Skype.

Doug...

If he's in a very rural area he's unlikely to get 3G, so a dongle would be next to useless (or incredibly slow!).

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We use Talk Talk phone and Broadband. EXcellent service and a lot cheaper than when we were with AOL and BT.
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone, I have an O2 dongle but it very iffy at home and so sloooooooow.

It looks like there are a lot of good deals out there till I enter my postcode, most cannot provide me a service. Plusnet gets good reviews and is recommended by "Martins Money Tips" and they've offered me a good combined deal which is very tempting.

Will keep you all updated.

Stewart :Smile::Smile::Smile:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You would think they would offer you the same price deal regardless, even if it is a loss to them.

I remember cancelling part of my sky package and ended up getting it back half price for 6 months, so worth pushing them on the fact that if they don't want to play ball they will lose the additional revenue from your Sky package.

E.G. if they can't discount your broadband, then discount your sky package. They can do it. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back