Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
As you are aware i have one 85ah battery situated under the passanger seat, and wanted to go down the generator root way of things, but with the price of petrol at the moment, was wondering how economical it would really be.

I have a Fiat ducato cab, with a battery under the passenger seat and wanted to buy another one. There is a photo of a ford transit with 2x 85ah batterys fitted under the seat.

Would 2 fit under mine ?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Mark.

Your link isn't working.

Is the space left under the seat equal to,or more than, the size of the existing battery?

If there is room for another then I'd personally fit one.:thumb:

Sorry can't be any more specific without pics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Mark, get the dimensions of the battery you are considering buying then mock one up out of cardboard so you can try it in different positions before you buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
i've borrowed this picture from another member, (sorry) but this is a ford transit seat.

As you can see, it fits, and assuming that the seats in my fiat ducato are of a simular size. HOPEFULLY.

This is my intention, but i dont know how to tie the 2 batterys together and make sure they both charge of the engine altenator. Can somone explain this, in english please :ROFLMAO:

And i've also bought a 600 watt inverter, which i want to do as in the picture.

As usual, thanks in advance !

P.s my charging unit is not under my seat, there is only one 85 ah battery there at the moment.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
Its a bit pointless having the dimensions of a Tranny seat base, when you have a Ducato.
I have a 06 Ducato, and the seat base will NOT take any battery bigger than a single 85ah battery, as you have the previous model Ducato there may be more room.

Upvote 0

Voyager

Free Member
Oct 17, 2007
Sheffield
Funster No
Exp
March 2007
Hi Mark I have a Ducato 07 and wanted extra leisure battery power, there was one battery under the seat behind passengers seat which was 110 and was advised to keep to 110. Unfortunately couldn't get another along side so decided to put one under the other seat, could only get one there because of water pump and frame of chassis. But managed two under the rear bed.
:thumb:

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Behind my passanger seat i have seating with the table, but i have the water tank there, and it fills the space.

Been out to the motorhome, have thought of another idea.

Nothing under drivers seat, so could put another battery there :thumb:

Would it be okay to put the battery under there ?
What about the cable that joins the 2 batterys together ? it would be passing the space between the 2 front seats ( the walk through ).

What about charging the 2 batterys, on the go ? will my engine alternator cope ?

What about EHU ? will my charging unit cope okay with charging the 2, 85ah batterys ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Behind my passanger seat i have seating with the table, but i have the water tank there, and it fills the space.

Been out to the motorhome, have thought of another idea.

Nothing under drivers seat, so could put another battery there :thumb:

What about the cable that joins the 2 batterys together ? it would be passing the space between the 2 front seats ( the walk through ).

What about charging the 2 batterys, on the go ? will my engine alternator cope ?

What about EHU ? will my charging unit cope okay with charging the 2, 85ah batterys ?

I prevously had a Bessecar & fitted another 110 under the drivers seat, it just went in, but measure it carefully. :Eeek: There may not be room if the seat is a swivel type.
I ran the wires under the carpet between the seats, there was a lip in the floor so I ran them taped close to that.
As far as I could tell the engine coped well with charging the extra battery & my solar panel worked with the set up.
My present motor home has 2 110's and the built in charger copes with charging them.
No doubt someone will shortly mention that two batteries should be the same age and size to be effective as well as having leads the same length. If you are not sure about connections please ask someone before you try it :thumb:

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
mine is a Boxer base and had an 85 APH, I removed this and extended the cables through to the side bench fited retaining straps and 2 x 110 APH Batteries, all seems to work fine. was a bit concerned as the charge unit is only a 10 amp . fingers are crossed.

Upvote 0
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User

Yes it will cope, all that happens is that it takes longer

What about the cable that joins the 2 batterys together ? it would be passing the space between the 2 front seats ( the walk through )

There is often a small "channel" between seats, molded floor gutter under carpet, that you could run the cable through, I have Duct taped wires there in the past (do not forget to add a fuse to this link)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back