Check mobile broadband coverage (1 Viewer)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Thinking of getting a new mobile broadband dongle? This site gives you maps to compare coverage of the major UK providers.

Quite enlightening to see the comparison between your network & the competition. :thumb:

I always thought O2 had good coverage (been with them for years) but in comparison they are way behind some of the others. Vodafone not much better. :whatthe:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have an unlocked dongle with both a 3 and a Vodafone sim. I only use it when away in the van and from experience I would say that 3 has the best signal across the country.

Lunarman

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Here is a link for three, put your postcode in.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have an unlocked dongle with both a 3 and a Vodafone sim. I only use it when away in the van and from experience I would say that 3 has the best signal across the country.

Lunarman

Were did you get it unlocked, I have 3 dongles that I woud like to unlock but there is no one near here that does it.

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thinking of getting a new mobile broadband dongle? This site gives you maps to compare coverage of the major UK providers.

Quite enlightening to see the comparison between your network & the competition. :thumb:

I always thought O2 had good coverage (been with them for years) but in comparison they are way behind some of the others. Vodafone not much better. :whatthe:

Can't see a link Keith. Is it me or is it missing?

Graham

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Whatever one you get, they all now expire after 30 days even if you have not used up your useage limit.

I have an older Vodaphone dongle which does not expire for 180 days (no longer available) which works fine at home (Berkshire) and on the boat at Poole but useless at the dealership (Robertsbridge) so I use an O2 dongle there which does expire after 30 days.

The O2 we use at shows all over the country which seems to work fine but won't work at Poole or at home so buy one of each and use whatever works best wherever you are

Peter

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I find the 3 dongle beats vodafone, O2 and BT for signal strength and speed.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I have a 3.co dongle and a Vodafone Dongle, a t-mobile mobile and I find all 3 of these companies over state the level of there coverage.

If you are in anything other perfect reception then there maps are not accurate.

Doug...

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Can't see a link Keith. Is it me or is it missing?

Graham

Oh bugger, done it again. Here it is: :Doh:
Link Removed

Different one John but looks like the same info.

Edit: Sorry folks been out all day so a delay in correcting my mistake. :Doh:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I have been using a 3 MiFi dongle for a few months now, it works fine.
If the signal is marginal it can be helped by raising it a few metres on a flag pole to lift it clear of any local obstructions. As it does not need to be wired to the computer (phone signal in and Wifi to the computer) there is no problem doing this. :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I have been using a 3 MiFi dongle for a few months now, it works fine.
If the signal is marginal it can be helped by raising it a few metres on a flag pole to lift it clear of any local obstructions. As it does not need to be wired to the computer (phone signal in and Wifi to the computer) there is no problem doing this. :thumb:

I am confused as to what dongle that you have, do I understand it right, you have something that you can mount on a pole that receives a 3.co signal and then retransmits the signal on WiFi?

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Here you are Doug Link Removed and Here.

Unfortunately its not what I was hoping for, my house is in a poor reception area and I was looking for a external unit that did not run on batteries, that way I could place it 2 or 3 meters above the house to improve the reception. At the moment I am working on the idea of making a normal dongle water prove and running it on a PoUSB cable.

Doug...

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been out & just returned.
Yes that is the unit and whilst it does have a battery in it that is charged via a USB connection so you could do what you are saying with it. Running it at home (when in the UK) I have the USB plugged into a powered USB hub for power. If in the mobile home with it inside I plug it into my laptop 12volt Power Supply unit which has a USB power output, alternatively I can plug it directly into the laptop. I only run it on the battery when it is up the pole to save running a lead to it. So you could just run a USB lead up to the unit for power, the signal would just be sent down by Wifi.
Obviously I do not know how the signal from 3 is at your location so cannot say if the signal would then be good enough.

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
Whatever one you get, they all now expire after 30 days even if you have not used up your useage limit.

I have an older Vodaphone dongle which does not expire for 180 days (no longer available) which works fine at home (Berkshire) and on the boat at Poole but useless at the dealership (Robertsbridge) so I use an O2 dongle there which does expire after 30 days.

The O2 we use at shows all over the country which seems to work fine but won't work at Poole or at home so buy one of each and use whatever works best wherever you are

Peter

Peter,

Your quite right that the old ones dont exipre, But they dont expire after 180 days :thumb:
As long as you log on to the net work at least once in every 180 days the usage will never expire.

I took mine into a Vodafone shop to have the content control removed (I couldnt even type Essex into google because it had "sex" in the word :ROFLMAO:)
And the bloke wanted to update it to the lastest software....I told him if he did then vodaphone would be paying for the dongle until I bin it.
Ive had it for 18 months now and im still using the £15 it came with :Blush:

ps dont forget to turn off atomatic updates in the settings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back