Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Does anyone have experience of SDMO Generators? SDMO is based in Brittany with a good European network and they produce a lot of gear for industry as well as suitcase gennys. The 1KVa and 2KVa models are assembled using Honda engines and use inverter technology for smooth power delivery.

I ask because they are a bit cheaper than the Honda equivalent (more than Kipor though) but would appear not to have any problems of patent infringement.

SDMO Energy Ltd main UK website for SDMO generating sets

I notice Edge technology sell them Link Removed
and also Ocktom in the Midlands
Generator Universe: Industrial, Portable, Power & SDMO Rental Generator Products

Any views?

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does anyone have experience of SDMO Generators? SDMO is based in Brittany with a good European network and they produce a lot of gear for industry as well as suitcase gennys. The 1KVa and 2KVa models are assembled using Honda engines and use inverter technology for smooth power delivery.

I ask because they are a bit cheaper than the Honda equivalent (more than Kipor though) but would appear not to have any problems of patent infringement.

SDMO Energy Ltd main UK website for SDMO generating sets

I notice Edge technology sell them Link Removed
and also Ocktom in the Midlands
Generator Universe: Industrial, Portable, Power & SDMO Rental Generator Products

Any views?

Hi

I have a 2kw Honda and am delighted with it ..
if you are considering a genny I advise to get a 2kw. Better running a 2kw at 50% load than thrashing a 1kw..

Both these companies products look good, and the prices are very keen, but neither of them do a 2kw suitcase model, I am very sceptical of the db they claim for the open frame models, they may be quoting the 'off load' db,

Before I had the Honda I had an open frame 2kw genny with a Honda engine, believe me, it was really noisy 'on load' only suitable for building site use.. I sold it and bought the suitcase Honda.

Even my Honda on full load makes quite a noise..

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the advice, but I was looking at SDMO models that were not open-frame - see here at the right hand side of the web page 1000 and 2000 models:
Link Removed

My interest is really only as an occasional emergency battery charging system and the Electroblock charger in the Hymer draws about 400W so I thought a 1KVa genny would be sufficient. If I go ahead with this I want to keep the weight to a minimum and the 2000 model is almost twice as heavy as the 1000.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for the advice, but I was looking at SDMO models that were not open-frame - see here at the right hand side of the web page 1000 and 2000 models:
Link Removed

My interest is really only as an occasional emergency battery charging system and the Electroblock charger in the Hymer draws about 400W so I thought a 1KVa genny would be sufficient. If I go ahead with this I want to keep the weight to a minimum and the 2000 model is almost twice as heavy as the 1000.

That looks like a decent genny, similar spec to the Honda.. and about 2/3 the price ..

I have a 70A Victron charger, hence my choice of 2kw. but I appreciate your payload concerns.. if I had seen this make before getting the Honda I would probably have bought one.
In saying that, Honda reliability is legendary and as a full timer who likes to free camp, longevity and reliability are important.

josielynne

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Funster No
Link Removed

i have one for sale new ÂŁ200 :Blush: josielynne@aol.com
SDMO Booster 2000
Inverter control.
Max output 2.15 kVA
Rated output 1700 watts
Petrol only ÂŁ568
LPG dual fuel ÂŁ745

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im a Kipor fan, excellnt value for money and little danger of blowing them up, especialy as you say they are little used, would swop it for a Honda tomorrow though as the quality of Honda is unquestionable, it's the price I cant get over.
given the prices of the one's you are looking at I think I would go the extra few quid and get the Honda, I belive they have a 5 year warranty from new,mght be wrong.
If your after saving money, or are a tight git like me, the Kipor has to be the only serious contender in my opinion
Geo

D

djuwenda

Deleted User
Link Removed

Hello Jean Luc, another Frenchman living in Warwickshire here but on the boat. I was wondering if you did go ahead with the SDMO purchase and if so what were your impressions...

As you might have guessed, I am tempted to buy one myself now.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Mate has one of these and says he is impressed- he also has a Honda :winky:
Link Removed
terry

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hello Jean Luc, another Frenchman living in Warwickshire here but on the boat. I was wondering if you did go ahead with the SDMO purchase and if so what were your impressions...

As you might have guessed, I am tempted to buy one myself now.

Hi there, not a Frenchman I'm afraid, just an old work nickname.

I did not buy the SDMO generator: chose a Honda EU10i instead. I have not used it a great deal to be honest, but when I have, the Honda has been quiet and worked very well. I would recommend it although they are not cheap. In my case, stability of supply is important to prevent a spike damaging the on-board charging system. I know other sine-wave generator manufacturers claim to have a stable output, but I went for Honda as a trusted brand.

Philip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back