Starter battery problem (1 Viewer)

pogjones

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi Folks
I am having problem starting my burstner nexxo T660 on a transit chasis.
Two weeks ago i had to get jump leeds on it and it started ok. Yesterday i tried again and the dash just kicks on and off no matter how long the leads are left on. One thing we have noticed is that the side lights flicker when trying to start it even though they are not switched on. I am in the RAC through my insurance (Coversure) does anyone know if they will visit a private storage facility if you have the at home cover on the policy.
Any advice would be apreciated.
Thanks Bill.:Doh:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
RAC, I would have thought so, it's a breakdown isn't it?

Sounds like batteries either 'dead' or needs a proper charge frankley.

Modern vehicles do the wierdest things with duff batteries, odd lights flashing etc, one assumes it's this daft canbus type idea:Doh:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Doesn't the Home start mean Anywhere.
I would have thought so.
Best of luck.

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sorry to hear you are having problems. You said the magic words, it is in storage, so most likely no solar to keep battery topped up. Many european vehicles have sidelights on whilst the engine is running, maybe yours is one of them which would account for the flickering lights when trying to start.
If that is not the case and they do not stay on once started then you do need to check wiring
If parked on grass or in a farm yard you may have had a 4 legged visitor, mice love chewing wires and can easily cause a short, resulting in damage. use without investigation could result in a loom fire at the very least. disconnect the battery to prevent a fire until checked out.
The link below might help, however once mice have got in they tend to stay. We have used one for the last few years and not had any repeat visits. Battery lasts a few months so use rechargeables and keep a spare in the van. If you suspect you may have mice use traps or bait boxes to get rid of them.

Link Removed

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Might be worth checking the earth lead where it's connected to the chassis. It could be loose or corroded. A poor earth can cause strange things to happen.

Pete:Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Folks
I am having problem starting my burstner nexxo T660 on a transit chasis.
Two weeks ago i had to get jump leeds on it and it started ok. Yesterday i tried again and the dash just kicks on and off no matter how long the leads are left on.Thanks Bill.:Doh:

Bad earth ! check connections to chassis and connections to starter solenoid.

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I tend to think you just have a kn----ed battery If you needed a jump start 2 weeks ago did you get it properly charged ? If not get it charged - vans with alarms etc, can flatten a battery in a few weeks rather than months-- Hope the battery takes a charge and a new one is not needed :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
P

pogjones

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Funster No
Thanks or the advice folks a bad earth could be the problem but i will have the earth checked as well.
Thanks again.
Bill.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have a 2006 Transit as a work van.
I stupidly left the striplights in the back switched on in the night and the following morning I had a similar scenario to you!
The original Ford battery never recovered from that experience and required replacement soon after.
Good luck if you do need to replace it though- it'll be much easier if you accept the inevitable and remove the drivers seat right from the start!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used to have a similar problem before solar, in that my engine battery would be too flat to start after a couple of weeks due to running alarm, remote locking etc. With solar panel no problem.

My van is in storage and a couple of times the AA have been out to start it. OK except on one occasion the AA van got stuck in the mud and I had to tow it out (not with the MH though, Grand Vitara)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if your battery was flat two weeks ago and is flat again i say its knackered and quite possibly its been frozen during the cold 'snap'.

i discharged battery will freeze as easily as water freezes and could cause internal damage.

my money's on a near future post to say you bought a new battery. :thumb:

OP
OP
P

pogjones

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Funster No
I have the rac coming tomorrow but i am continplating buying a new battery today. At least i will have a good battery if things need testing.

goffer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
weymouth sunny dorset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 but tugged for 10
I had the same sort of problem, alternater not giving enough charge, had new alternator fitted today, still not enopugh charge, turned out to be bad eart connection to the battery, renewed the earth and all is ok, so good luck in finding your fault.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back